IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Justin Grant Wins BOSS opener at K-C Raceway
7/17/11, 11:11 AM   #1
Justin Grant Wins BOSS opener at K-C Raceway
sprinter14

Justin Grant Wins BOSS Opener at K-C Raceway
The California Kid, Justin Grant put on a spectacular show Saturday night, July 16th in winning the 2nd annual Gene Comstock Memorial at Schrader's K-C Raceway. The Ione, California native, aboard the #40 Hery Motorsports entry also won his heat, then charged from 5th starting spot to win the Comstock Cup over a tough field of 15 cars.

Two time Lawrenceburg Speedway champion Joss Moffat brought the field to green with Travis Welpot alongside. Moffat blasted out to a comfortable early lead, but 5th starting Grant wasted little time slicing his way to the front. Grant slipped past Welpot on lap 3 to take the runner-up spot, then 2 laps later bagged the lead from Moffat. The first of only 2 cautions flew on lap 7 when K-C Raceway regular Jeb Lowder spun in turn 4. The top 5 at lap 7 was Grant, Moffat, Dustin Smith, Adam Strausser, and Travis Welpot.

Once back under green, the top four ran nose to tail, but a real dogfight was developing back in the pack. Michael Fischesser had started 12th and by lap 10 he was up to 6th and battling Aaron Middaugh for a spot in the top 5. On lap 15, Moffat spun while running second and did a 360 spin in heavy traffic, yet managed to right the ship and continue on, losing only one spot to the hard charging Dustin Smith. The always exciting driver Adam Strausser was having a great run and briefly took 3rd from Moffat, but the race's 2nd caution on lap 17 for a spin, negated the pass and relegated him back to 4th. The running order at lap 17 was Grant, Smith, Moffat, Strausser, Middaugh, Fischesser, Landon Simon, Jason Soudrette, and Welpot rounding out the top 10.

On the restart, Grant flexed his muscle quickly motoring away on the high side. Strausser gave Moffat all he could handle for 3rd, but it was Todd Keen who lit up the track in he final laps charging from 11th to 5th after the final caution. Keen prevailed in the dogfight for 5th that literally went on the entire race among no less than 8 different drivers. At the stripe it was Justin Grant, followed by Dustin Smith, Joss Moffat, Adam Strausser, and Todd Keen completing the top 5. Sixth through tenth were Aaron Middaugh, Jason Soudrette, Landon Simon, Michael Fischesser, and Josh Slone. Thirteen of the 15 starters were still running at the completion of the event.

Jeb Lowder took home the $100 steel block bonus award. Justin Grant took the $100 from Hoosier tire and Aaron Middaugh claimed the $100 from Goodyear. American Racer also put up $100 and several cars had on American Racer right rears, but nobody had them on all 4 corners so the American Racer bonus was not claimed.

Adam Strausser claimed the first ever BOSS sprints checkered flag by claiming heat #1. Lewie Christian had a great run going running second in heat one when he got high and made contact with the tire wall in turn 3. Dustin Smith claimed heat #2 as Welpot and Landon Simon treated the fans to a great battle for 2nd that Welpot won. The third and final heat was claimed by Grant.

The Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series would like to thank K-C Raceway owner's Jeff and Vickie Schrader and their fine staff for hosting the series. BOSS also thanks the drivers, owners, teams, and fans who showed up to support non wing racing. A special thank you goes out to the 5 drivers who brought their cars into the general admission area and stayed for over an hour signing autographs and putting future racers in the seats of their cars. More info on BOSS can be found at www.buckeyesprints.com

Complete Results

Heat #1: Adam Strausser, Aaron Middaugh, Mike Weber, Dwayne Spille, Lewie Christian

Heat #2: Dustin Smith, Travis Welpott, Landon Simon, Josh Slone, Jeb Lowder

Heat #3: Justin Grant, Joss Moffat, Todd Keen, Michael Fischesser, Jason Soudrette

Feature: Grant, Smith, Moffat, Strausser, Keen, Middaugh, Soudrette, Simon, Fischesser, Slone, Welpott, Lowder, Weber, Spille, Christian

Leaders: Moffat (1-5), Grant (6-25) - (2) cautions

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Midwest Connection, Mud Packer
7/17/11, 11:33 AM   #2
Re: Justin Grant Wins BOSS opener at K-C Race
EldoraMark

Way to go Justin, 2 wins this week.
Mark and You make a great team.

Mark Fritz

7/18/11, 9:22 PM   #3
lovindirt

Was going to try an make it to support your series but car not ready yet. New car number, but same ol engine. Was going to try an get dad to come along with his car and support also. Hope things grow and we will help you in the future.
Jeff Sweat

Congrats. Justin Grant
Last edited by lovindirt; 7/19/11 at 6:20 PM.

7/18/11, 11:06 PM   #4
sprinter 18

I just want to say that Aaron Fry is doing one hell of a job with this series. It was a good track, good cars were there, and it was a great race. This is truly a drivers series. What really impressed me was after the races were over and some of us drivers rolled our cars into the grandstand area it was past midnight and Aaron offered a place to stay to anyone that needed one. I plan on racing with BOSS whenever they run in the future.

Todd Keen
Posted using Mobile Device

7/18/11, 11:27 PM   #5
Joe Snyder

Program was ran really smooth. Track was great, especially considering it was a very warm day. I don't get to help or be around much anymore due to work but it was just pure "fun" at the racetrack.

I had never been to the track, I expected a huggy pole type of track, but it was fast, I'd say much faster than a North Vernon. Fast way was around the top.... Definately a "balls to the wall" track.

7/19/11, 6:46 AM   #6

Had a blast running Saturday night! Glad the first BOSS show wound up being at KC where everybody is familiar with running a sprint car class. Aaron seemed to have things well organized, and the whole night went real smooth. The track was a little better than I expected, what with the heat all week and the way it was the previous week. I honestly didn't expect it to be very good, but with a lot of cloud cover all day-it turned out pretty fast and racy. A series that pays bonuses for highest finishing steel block, has no spec tire, and even has all three tire manufacturers giving money TO THE RACERS, rather than the race tracks...pretty good combination. Great job Aaron.
Adam Strausser

7/19/11, 11:56 AM   #7
sprinter8

I also ran there and had blast even though i got torn up in the heat.I think Arron did everything he could to make the racers happy i know i will race with them again

7/19/11, 12:40 PM   #8
hoosierhillbilly

From the fan side i want say thanks. I hope the series can grow. I would like more nonwinged races in ohio. It makes it easier for this indiana transplant.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/20/11, 3:05 AM   #9
johnnythunderhead

not bad considering what all else was going on that night/ hats off to boss n those who showed up to race/ wish you megga success n will support you whenever i can/ would like to see some ohio tracks wise up n run w/o wings regularly

7/20/11, 10:19 AM   #10
mtcray

Congrats Justin! Keep up the good work!

Mike Cray

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Justin Grant Wins BOSS opener at K-C Raceway