IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/10/08, 3:07 PM   #161
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
Tony Barhorst

Attached is a photo of Kent Christian after taking the checkered flag.

Note:...The frontstretch wall behind us is where the exposed footer WAS...We FIXED that problem...only to have teams come up with more problems..that are seen at other race tracks also. Note that the wall is pretty high behind us ...4.5 feet high.

The full story on what transpired has not been told yet.

8/10/08, 3:41 PM   #162
smith19

the bottom line about this place is that it has always had a bad rep. rocks, no fence, narrow, jagged guardrail and one lane. i know they have fixed some of these problems but until they make the turns more sweeping by knocking down the backstretch wall and put better clay clay clay on it with a good fence it will continue getting bashed. we used to race up there in the mid 80's so i know first hand what i'm talking about. the lm class has always been follow the leader and that's why they lost that class. billy daniels (owner) needs to go to other tracks and ask the the drivers why they won't run there.

8/10/08, 3:51 PM   #163
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
All of the finger pointed going on here is reactionary. If the United States Auto Club had done their job correctly in the first place, none of the issues would have happened or mattered. It's real simple.
Pretty close to how I saw it. I feel guilty it was still a better time than the last time I was at Liberty.

8/10/08, 4:01 PM   #164
BrentTFunk

Didn't a rainout at De Graff Ohio spare all involved embarrassment earlier this year?

8/10/08, 4:12 PM   #165
Tony Barhorst

The Steve Buckwalter team in Victory Lane. Note...the upper left flag stand wall is the EXACT location of the FiXED footer problem. We covered it up, and it stayed intact. Only the top 15 teams were allowed to vote to run or not. Teams are on record as not having a problem with the track conditions after we fixed them. The other issues were of a sort that are seen at MANY race tracks...yet these 15 teams choose to run at those locations.

8/10/08, 4:26 PM   #166
TopFuel

Ok......Don Moore is right again......What happened happened...it's over folks!
I'm 100% correct on my post's.

People know who I am and I've posted my name before......and I'm the last person you wanna converse about this topic. I know most if not "all" of the drivers would have raced if they had something to race.
Tony Barhorst is an upstanding individual and I applaud him in all he does.
And... I still like USAC and will always promote non-wing racing to all I know and everyone I meet in the future... there is nothing better !!!!
Also.. If anyone needs a driver anytime ??? I have helmet will travel.
I'm 28 6'1 235lbs. so you know how big of a seat I'll need. 16 inch will work just fine.

Thanks again.

8/10/08, 4:46 PM   #167
Throttle10e

I know exactly who is to blame..........ME! Ever since I heard that they were planning to race Sprints/Midgets there, I prayed that it wouldn't happen. I will say that I wasn't there so I don't have any idea what was said, agreed upon, or disagreed upon. I do know one thing, I am totally disgusted with the comments on this board regarding the drivers who stayed verses the drivers who chose not to race. For all who agree that a REAL racer would have stayed to please his fans because they paid to watch a race, I can assume that you have already contributed to the Kenny Biro fund and have all intentions on helping any other driver and his family if something horrible happens to them while in a racecar. Step back and take a look at it from someone else's view other than your own. Racing is how my husband makes a living. That is how he provides for myself and our children. It's not just you the fan that he has to consider, it is our whole lively-hood. I am in NO way saying that the fans are not important to the sport, everyone knows they are. We all know what an impact the fans have to this sport. I respect the decision of USAC. Whether I agree with them doesn't matter.

Now as for the one who said he has been going to the track and is yet to see a car leave the track.....it has happened. I did it in a mini-sprint. It was on the backstretch coming out of turn two. I landed right next to a light/utility pole of some sort that had been cut off to about 5-6 feet tall. I only spent a week at Methodist with a head injury that I recovered from but my parents were told that the year before that someone in some sort of a stock car went over in the same spot and hit that pole and it killed him. I don't know how true that is but we never had any reason to question that statement.......it came from the track owner. Now think about that happening in a sprint or midget. My accident happened several years ago and from what I understand not much had been done to the track since our last visit there. This doesn't include the new bleachers.

We all have a love for racing. Take the negative energy you have diplayed on here and turn it into positive energy and continue to pray for Kenny.

Danelle Cottle

8/10/08, 5:45 PM   #168
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle10e View Post
I know exactly who is to blame..........ME! Ever since I heard that they were planning to race Sprints/Midgets there, I prayed that it wouldn't happen. I will say that I wasn't there so I don't have any idea what was said, agreed upon, or disagreed upon. I do know one thing, I am totally disgusted with the comments on this board regarding the drivers who stayed verses the drivers who chose not to race. For all who agree that a REAL racer would have stayed to please his fans because they paid to watch a race, I can assume that you have already contributed to the Kenny Biro fund and have all intentions on helping any other driver and his family if something horrible happens to them while in a racecar. Step back and take a look at it from someone else's view other than your own. Racing is how my husband makes a living. That is how he provides for myself and our children. It's not just you the fan that he has to consider, it is our whole lively-hood. I am in NO way saying that the fans are not important to the sport, everyone knows they are. We all know what an impact the fans have to this sport. I respect the decision of USAC. Whether I agree with them doesn't matter.

Now as for the one who said he has been going to the track and is yet to see a car leave the track.....it has happened. I did it in a mini-sprint. It was on the backstretch coming out of turn two. I landed right next to a light/utility pole of some sort that had been cut off to about 5-6 feet tall. I only spent a week at Methodist with a head injury that I recovered from but my parents were told that the year before that someone in some sort of a stock car went over in the same spot and hit that pole and it killed him. I don't know how true that is but we never had any reason to question that statement.......it came from the track owner. Now think about that happening in a sprint or midget. My accident happened several years ago and from what I understand not much had been done to the track since our last visit there. This doesn't include the new bleachers.

We all have a love for racing. Take the negative energy you have diplayed on here and turn it into positive energy and continue to pray for Kenny.

Danelle Cottle
Well all I can say about a post like this is :thumb:respect:

8/10/08, 6:13 PM   #169
Tony Barhorst

This situation will never happen again with a Classic Motorsports event. I PROMISE I will always have an insurance man look at EVERY track I run before the events.
This has NEVER happened to me before, and never will again.

We were covered by multiple insurance policies at Union County Speedway.

One development over the weekend...Union County Speedway has been certified with a signed statement from Allied Insurance according to track owner Bill Danials. An Allied representative toured the track last month.

I want everyone to know I care about safety. Danelle, I will turm my energy positive. I understand these midget teams do not make enough to race on a safe track purse wise...I promise to improve Midget Racing all around.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com

8/10/08, 7:26 PM   #170
Joe Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle10e View Post

Danelle Cottle
Like that was the first track it happened at? It has happened at two or three tracks the last couple of years. Only difference is no one got hurt or killed. I guess you were unfortunate to get hurt.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week