IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Doug Wolfgang/Wolf Weld Sprint Car?
12/1/08, 11:24 PM   #1
Doug Wolfgang/Wolf Weld Sprint Car?
Larryoracing

A couple of weeks ago I bought the book "Lone Wolf" and I'm enjoying the book.

I kind of just open it to any page and just start reading and laughing and enjoying
it.

Then I shut it and just open it randomly to another page and get another insight....
kind of confusing and bewildering. Sprint car racing isn't all it's cracked up to be,
but the book is insightful. Goin' down the road and living with somebody 24 hours a day for weeks at a time can get old...'real old'...lol!

The best part I liked is that Doug Wolfgang thought he was given a "God Given
Talent" of being able to see everything in 'slow motion' when he was traveling
very fast down the speedway. I thought that was the best part of the book!
I always like to think about what a driver is thinking when he's driving a sprint car.
Been in one, so I kind of know what he's talking about...lol!

I was also kind of intriqued that he said he manufacturers about 18-20 Wolf Weld
Sprint Car Chassis a year.

Anybody buy one? Wasn't sure if they were 4 bars or coil cars? Kind of curious what people think of them.

He did say one of his joys was just helping a kid set one up (Wolf/Weld) chassis
even though the kid bought it second hand. He talked to the kid over the phone.

I guess if you want to put it in perspective, don't ever think you're goin' to "INDY" if you drive a front wheel car, but I guess you might have a chance if your Dad has
a lot of money or if you got some talent or are just Lucky..lol!

Larry "O":applaud:

12/2/08, 12:05 AM   #2
Re: Doug Wolfgang/Wolf Weld Sprint Car?
Daboy

They are a 4 bar. He also built a few non winged cars for Bret Mellenberndt in 2008. http://www.bretmellenberndtracing.com/ The book is an excellent read.

Dave Boy

12/2/08, 12:45 AM   #3
Larryoracing

Thanks a bunch "Da Boy",

That is just what I was looking for. I don't know who designed this chassis,
but I got a feeling the guy was really smart......like that front sway bar. That
is perfect! If even looks like the tube for the sway bar is integral to the frame
and it's in the pefect position/location and the pickups to the axel are just great!

If I were goin' to design a front sway bar, that's how I would do it...lol!

This is a neat frame and it seems to twist from the photos. I even like the rear
radius bar pickups. Looks like you can pickup old school or new school/engine plate/
location.

I once went all the way to Florida to meet Smokey Yunick. Couldn't get past
his gate or his dobermans, but I did see him leave his complex and I met his daughter and the guy that ran his office...lol!

It would be neat to drive to South Dakata or whereever Doug lives and try to say hello to him..lol! And thanks again. That driver seems familiar. Won a few championships in his area right? Mellenberndt(?)

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. If Doug was so kind to let me look into his shop. I would just say I wanted
to look at one of his chassis. And from his book, you would be looking
at where he place the motor mounts in the frame, the thickness of the tubes
and how they were welded for "Twist" and maybe the tube heights if you
were old school. Looks like a really neat chassis. I would order one and buy
one sight unseen. And all you would have to do is call him each week tell him
what the car was doin' and he would hook you up...lol!:applaud:

12/2/08, 4:17 AM   #4
Tripcrwn

Someone warn Doug Wolfgang!

12/2/08, 9:53 AM   #5
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

When I was at Manzy for the Western I heard that Smoke had flown Doug to AZ and was talking about using Wolfweld cars for his teams. Anyone else hear anything about this?

12/2/08, 11:08 AM   #6
Fisher79

One difference I've noticed about the non-wing Wolfweld cars (from looking at Mellenberndt's) is that the downtubes are a separate piece of tubing from the rollcage.

Nearly any car you look at today, the piece that begins at the rear torsion tube comprises the back of the cage upright, curves forward to create the top of the cage, then continues to the front of the chassis as a downtube. On the Wolfwelds, that piece simply makes another 90-degree or so downturn at the front of the cage and drops down, creating the front edge of the cage. The downtubes are welded on as separate pieces.

Seems to me like that would allow a Wolfweld car to twist and flex a little more like the non-downtube cars of old. And the cars must be safe, too. I know most of us have seen Mellenberndt's epic Hagerstown trip out of the ballpark.
Last edited by Fisher79; 12/2/08 at 1:16 PM. Reason: comprises

12/2/08, 12:08 PM   #7
Shawn

That's a good spot, Fisher79. I looked through some of the pictures on his site and found one that really showed what you were talking about. I also noticed that the front end is different, too. The bottom frame rail curves up to almost straight up and down before it meets the downtube, bumper, etc. Most cars have the frame rail go up at more of an angle...

Just one other minor thing that I noticed...:rolleyes:

12/2/08, 1:19 PM   #8
badcoupe

One of our TQ midgets was that way with the cage. I always wondered if the downtubes had been added at some time but there was never any evidence of a midtube etc and the car wasn't very old. Def. a different way of building one

12/2/08, 5:45 PM   #9
Daboy

One reason for the down tubes welded to the cage versus one complete piece is it makes it easier to put a front clip on. :idea:

12/2/08, 7:46 PM   #10
hogan6

Wolfgang probably knows more about chassis construction than any builder today. He obviously paid attention to Maxwell, Singer and Trostle, and Stanton. A Sprint Car MUST transfer weight from front to rear under acceleration. The frame must flex or twist to a point. He understands. These cars built today are much too stiff. Plus the fact he can lay a weld like nobody else. Why have a DRC or whatever like everyone else? Isn't having something different/better an advantage? As for the book...he does tell it like it is. A true legend. Ask Steve Kinser sometime who the best he's raced against. No hesitation.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Doug Wolfgang/Wolf Weld Sprint Car?