IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
1/12/11, 4:55 PM   #11
Re: Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
duel

They have this thing backwards. The ovals are almost always good shows with close finishes. The road courses are where they should restart 2 wide. They are going to wreck some equipment with this lunacy.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
1/12/11, 5:25 PM   #12
dirt330

according to indy star today they are reconsidering this after many drivers complained.

1/12/11, 7:04 PM   #13
racephoto1

The last time an open wheel group (USAC) tried to be NASCRAP like they got their a$$ handed to them. I guess the INDYCAR guys didn't pay attention. Their better off staying the way they are.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
1/12/11, 7:11 PM   #14
Vertigo

I don't wish to see doublefile restarts in Indycar, but I would like to see them adopt a "no yellow flag finish" rule.

1/12/11, 8:36 PM   #15
oldfan49

Just what we need, another series with simulated passing. I would much rather they do away with telemetry and put drivers back in the cars any day.

2 members like this post: are39, racephoto1
1/12/11, 9:46 PM   #16
Onlydirt

They should just make them start the 500 right and leave the rest alone. Those starts have got out of control....takes away the excitement.

1/12/11, 11:19 PM   #17
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
They don't even start the Indy 500 double wide anymore, how will they do this?
They can't get them 3 abreast for a start!

1/16/11, 3:14 PM   #18
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydirt View Post
They should just make them start the 500 right and leave the rest alone. Those starts have got out of control....takes away the excitement.
I wrote the IRL (Fred Nation) about the parade laps and the starts after the first couple of lousy starts. Until the 2nd year of the IRL, they used to line up 3 abreast for the Parade and Pace laps and the start. Since 1997, they now run single file for the parade and pace laps and don't form up until going down the back chute approaching the start of the race. Most of the time they come out of turn 4 strung out already. If you sit on the front chute, like I do, you never get to see them 3 wide anymore. It stinks and I told them so in my letter. They did have the decency to respond but, the response was that safety supercedes the spectacle and the tradition and, they have no plans to resume the 3 abreast warm-up laps. They are afraid that there could be an accident before the start of the race when the drivers are "scrubbing" (weaving back and forth on the track) the tires in preparation for the start. In the past, I don't recall a rash of accidents while "tire scrubbing" in the 3 wide formation (maybe Roberto Guerrero in 1991?). Oh well, they've destroyed the most spectacular and exciting part of the race and, to date, have no intentions of correcting the problem.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
1/16/11, 4:29 PM   #19
richie

cecil98, they actually did bring back lining up three abreast on the pace laps in 2010. They even had a wave lap, even though I only saw about 1/3 of the field waving back. Despite all that, the start was still a mess like it is everytime Helio wins the pole. There's been one year since the mid-90's that was actually a really good start. I believe it may have been 2008. Everybody was on the main straightaway when the green flag was thrown.

From Robin Miller's mailbag, he states: Instead of letting the front row accelerate between Turns 3 & 4 and string the field out, the new mantra is to go racing “closer” to the start/finish line. At IMS, this might mean a little slower speed at the green flag but it gives the chance to have a true, fair flying start.

Hopefully we'll see that because the "world's fastest flying start" roaring down toward the yard of bricks three-wide is a tradition that needs to be brought back.

1/16/11, 6:12 PM   #20
ClaytonYeley

You are correct richie. We attended the public drivers meeting the day before the race. The three biggest cheers were for the announcements of the 3 wide parade laps, telling the drivers about the wave lap, and Mrs. Fisher going to her seat. I know BB takes a lot of heat from Miller but it was really cool of him to being those things back to the speedway. These things got the day started off right and I had more fun at last year's 500 some that came before it.

1 member likes this post: richie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11