IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to upright
6/28/13, 6:36 AM   #1
New to upright
jasonwess

Just starting to get in to the upright cars and purchased a so called race ready car come to find out I need to rebuild ever thing but don’t know much about these cars and wondering why the previous owner did not run an oil cooler just a hose port to port. Also no fuel return line, and no presser relive valve. It’s a 2003 gsxr1000 is this just half ass or can you run it like that

6/28/13, 3:23 PM   #2
Re: New to upright
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwess View Post
Just starting to get in to the upright cars and purchased a so called race ready car come to find out I need to rebuild ever thing but don’t know much about these cars and wondering why the previous owner did not run an oil cooler just a hose port to port. Also no fuel return line, and no presser relive valve. It’s a 2003 gsxr1000 is this just half ass or can you run it like that

None of your deficiencies are really all that bad. Probably the oil cooler got in the way of the header. They probably run a stock fuel pump on gasoline and the regulator is in the pump inside the tank. You should be good to go racing right now. Stick your toe in the water and come on out to the races, ask a bunch of questions and learn a little more about the class before you start making big investments.

Honest Dad himself

6/30/13, 8:30 AM   #3
jasonwess

So oil cooler no big deal but is it common to use one? It is gas, the fuel pump is external with one line in and one line out its silver about 4 inches long and about 2 inch diameter, it looks new. I wonder if it’s right or just rigged together to start up and look race ready

6/30/13, 8:52 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Sounds like a Walbro fuel pump, which is a pretty commonly-used unit; if you're running carbs you wouldn't need a return line. Not sure about the regulator, or if Walbro pumps have a built-in adjustment since I've never personally used one. I feel your pain about buying a car "ready-to-race"; I did the same thing in February and I'm still finding things that just aren't right. Fortunately fuel delivery isn't one of my problems. Good luck with your new mistress

7/1/13, 7:03 AM   #5
jasonwess

No carbs it’s a 2003 gsxr1000 it does have a regulator I just thought there would be a returned line. Yeah I learned to never by out of state and have it shipped, I probably have 2k I need to put in my ”race ready”

7/8/13, 7:27 PM   #6
Bradleyracing86

Where are you located, if you can bring your car into the shop I will take a look at it for you.
Andy

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to upright