IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprint headers?
12/9/10, 7:54 PM   #1
305 sprint headers?
TexasFocus18

Putting together a 305 racesaver motor.. Injected with small valves. Non roller cam. What size headers would make the best power for this motor. Will be running all 1/4 mile tracks. I can run TRI-Y's this year. Would those help?

Thanks
JR

12/10/10, 8:29 AM   #2
Re: 305 sprint headers?
Tim

If I was to shoot from the hip I'd say 1-5/8" would be best, maybe even 1-1/2" if you can get them. It depends on what kind of tracks you'll be racing at. Stickier tracks, like Beaumont, require torque to spin the tires enough to get the car to turn, where slick tracks like Willis will need a smoother torque curve to keep from blowing the tires loose (I'm assuming you'll be racing without a wing since you're on this site asking for advice). Another consideration is whether you'll have to run mufflers or not. You might give Smiley Sitton a call and see what they're using.

Tim Simmons

12/10/10, 10:19 AM   #3
Re: 305 sprint headers?
TexasFocus18

From my experience there aren't really any "sticky" tracks in Texas!! Yeah will be racing with the EMSA group but also winged with SST. I found a good set of tri-y that are 1 7/8 but your the second to tell me that is probly too big.. Yes we will have to run a muffler. I have seen 1 5/8 but cant remember where..

JR

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprint headers?