IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty
11/3/08, 9:00 PM   #11
Re: mini sprint safty
speidel21

a mini-sprint is about the same size and speed as a TQ. i've flipped my TQ many many times and been lucky not to get hurt and flipped my sprintcar once and got hurt so go figure. sprintcars carry alot more speed and momentum so the flips are alot more violent. i would, however, skip the mini-sprint and go straight to the sprintcar if thats what you plan on racing in a few years as you dont learn anything from the smaller cars (mini's, TQs). just my opinion.

11/3/08, 10:28 PM   #12
Joe Kidd

If your worried about your balls, put on a jock strap.

11/4/08, 7:55 AM   #13
snoopy

I feel the mini is safer as long as you are running on mini tracks. In Indiana Peru and Logan are relativly safe. Putting them on Gas City, Kokomo, or bigger the foot box gets vulnerable. Never run one, but just my belief.

11/4/08, 8:35 AM   #14
LEADERS EDGE

There are no race cars or race tracks that are safe. Just like there are no bulls and rodeo arena's that are "safe". The only things you can do as a driver/owner is make your car as SAFE AS POSSIBLE given the equipment available and mechanical abilities that you posess. That and be smart about where you are racing. If there is no ambulance, don't race. If there isn't any insurance, don't race.

If you race once or 1000 times, you still run the same chance of getting into a crash be it your fault or not. Have there been as many people hurt in a mini as a sprinter, No, but that doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

As far as the argument between wheather to run a sprint or mini, in my opinion a mini only will get you laps, but it isn't anything like running a sprint car, even a 305.

11/4/08, 10:07 AM   #15
racerfanx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
There are no race cars or race tracks that are safe. Just like there are no bulls and rodeo arena's that are "safe". The only things you can do as a driver/owner is make your car as SAFE AS POSSIBLE given the equipment available and mechanical abilities that you posess. That and be smart about where you are racing. If there is no ambulance, don't race. If there isn't any insurance, don't race.

If you race once or 1000 times, you still run the same chance of getting into a crash be it your fault or not. Have there been as many people hurt in a mini as a sprinter, No, but that doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

As far as the argument between wheather to run a sprint or mini, in my opinion a mini only will get you laps, but it isn't anything like running a sprint car, even a 305.

I agree. No car or track is safe. This is an extreme sport. And this statement holds true no matter what type of racing you are looking into.

My suggestion to you would also be to check out the track you plan to run at. Do they have visible fire extinguishers (and know how to use them)? Do they have an EMT on site? Take a good look at the track and area around it.

You can have a great car with the best safely equipment available but if the track you are racing isn't equipped for an accident you are still in a bad spot. Talk to those who have raced it and find out how the owners/promoters/crew handle safety issues. Talk to someone who has had a crash there and find out what they think. How was the accident handled? Were there medical bills? Were they paid on time and hassle free? Nobody wants to think they will need the insurance aspect of racing but lets be realistic.

Just a few thoughts for you.

11/4/08, 3:08 PM   #16
konger10

Thanks for the replys.My brother and I have been into racing gokarts for 5-6 years now and our in the process of selling it all and buying a upright 600 mini sprint to run waynsfield in ohio. I dont think we will ever move up to a full size sprint in the near future anyway. I know all racing is dangerous but some types are more than others, just like gokarts on dirt our safer than running them indoors on concrete with coke down, even know i have seen people get hurt on both

11/4/08, 6:46 PM   #17
speidel21

I think you will find the move from karts to mini's pretty easy. i went from karts to TQ's. Some guys have went from karts directly to sprints. just have to learn how to get the car sideways. you'll be alright :thumb

11/4/08, 6:50 PM   #18
Larryoracing

Mini-Sprints.

I have been helping a team and have attended three "multi" 600 micro-sprint races.

a) My first impression is yes, they are indeed fast. Those little cars zoom around
small tracks at blistering speeds. I sense that the wing, helps make the car
very stable to be able to run them almost full speed without lifting.

b) I feel since you sit in them, like in a go cart the car has a very low
center of gravity making them very stable.

c) In the "multi" class, you can use very soft tires making the car stick more.

d) The engines are offset to the left, causing the car to handle better than
a TQ, or Sprint car where the engine is more in line with the center-line of the
car.

e) Most mini-sprint mfgs make cars with the side bars that protect the driver, just
like in a modern day sprint car.

In general I feel the minisprints are very fast. They probably cost a bundle too,
but don't use much fuel to race. That is all I know at present. And yes I think
they are "safe".

TQ's. I have only race a TQ a few times and I think they are very dangerous!

I have race a 360 sprint car and I feel they are safe as long as you are not
stupid. I have seen a few stupid sprint car drivers and they have landed in
the hospital with very serious injuries, causing the few I have seen to quit racing.
Sprint cars are not toys and they can kill you. Some racers think it's a big game and don't realize you can die in one. After they get seriously hurt once or twice they usually quit. Even the good ones. You only get so many hard wrecks before
you die.

The main thing I would think about a sprint car, like a 360 is they have a lot
of mass. Maybe 1400 lbs. Just be prepared to hit a concrete wall at full speed
and come to a stop. If you think you can take those kind of "G"s and survive,'
then I would say "let's go racing". If you think you would rather not get hurt,
I would not drive one or suggest you go racing in one.

I would put the cars in this kind of order.

1) Minisprints very safe and fast.

2) TQ's dangerous and fast.

3) 360 sprint cars, dangerous, fast, easy to get out of control, but forgiving
if you're are not stupid. The question is how smart are you? I would say
you have the most likihood of getting killed in a sprint car.

My thoughts,

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
:applaud:

11/4/08, 7:55 PM   #19
mikeyj5

I went from go karts to micros myself.Once you get over the aw of the faster speeds at first youll be fine.They seem cramped at first but youll discover they get real comfortable and seem cozy in a way.Keep the rubber side down and good luck to you guys.If you have any other questions I can help with fire away.

11/4/08, 8:03 PM   #20
konger10

Not to sound stupid but what are tq's

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty