IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl so far.
1/13/23, 10:00 AM   #41
ThrowbackRacingTeam

People really freak out these days about injuries or death. The last fatal accident I witnessed as a fan was at Oskaloosa in 2003 I think it was. It was a gruesome, bloody sprint car accident down the front stretch where the roll cage was ripped off along with the drivers’ helmet. They cleaned it all up, said a prayer and got back to racing and finished the night. I highly doubt in 2023 people could handle a situation like that.

4 members like this post: Blitzman, dkdorkboy, duel, flagboy55
1/13/23, 12:32 PM   #42
Re: Chili Bowl so far.
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
People really freak out these days about injuries or death. The last fatal accident I witnessed as a fan was at Oskaloosa in 2003 I think it was. It was a gruesome, bloody sprint car accident down the front stretch where the roll cage was ripped off along with the drivers’ helmet. They cleaned it all up, said a prayer and got back to racing and finished the night. I highly doubt in 2023 people could handle a situation like that.
I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but I gotta say that this is the worst "hot take" I've seen on this board. And that's saying something! I can't just hold my tongue and let this slide.

First of all, WAY to soon to be comparing a fatality experience with what happened Wednesday night. People are still processing what they witnessed. Anyone who saw the footage or still photos knows how serious the accident could have been. Let's celebrate that the worst didn't happen and heal from that before we start sharing stories about "the worst thing I ever saw..."

Second, I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to have some respect and reverence for death or serious injury. I laugh at T-Mez when he spouts his "Slider or Die" crap because I trust that he knows he's the court jester and that's his schtick. But when fans actually subscribe to that as a sign of greatness, I'm done with them. I'm VERY tired of interviews that say "It's the Chili Bowl, you gotta do what you gotta do" when the guy is battling for 7th place in the B-main. When you say "2023 people" couldn't "handle a situation like that", are you saying "2023 people" are soft and less manly that "2003 people"? Because you saw them go on with a racing program after witnessing a horrible event? I know that racing history is filled with severe injury and death. I've witnessed it. For me, that isn't what this sport is about. It's about competition, sportsmanship, fair play, and incredible precision. It's about the delicate ballet on dirt. Slide jobs and cross overs are awesome because they DON'T hit each other, not because they do. It's not about brute force and bullying.

Third, if this is a "business" because a handful of these drivers are "professionals", then let's treat this like a workplace accident. The first thing we would have to do after a workplace accident is stop production, seal off the area, and wait until the team of investigators arrived to determine what happened. IF it is deemed safe to resume operations, then we could go back to work. Somebody gets hurt on a forklift in my warehouse, we wouldn't "clean it all up, say a prayer" and get back to work.

Finally, this is ALL about entertainment. Auto racing, football, cage fighting, whatever, it's all about entertaining us as a society because we have evolved to a point where we can afford that luxury. In a civilized society, entertainment shouldn't be a blood sport. If you want to watch "gladiators" battle to the death, then I'm out. I'm done. I am not entertained by that. When somebody makes a stupid pass and gets away with it, I'm not impressed because he had "the balls" to "hang it all out". I'm offended. I'm offended by a driver, owner, or fan that thinks that's what this is all about. It shows a complete disrespect for each other. I know there have been a few contributions to science, knowledge, and engineering that come about because of racing. But these guys and gals are not "test pilots" exploring the limits of air and space, furthering our knowledge of physics. They're entertainers and product placement pawns. If they are "making" money at this, it's because somebody is using them for advertising. For the vast majority, it's just a way to have fun.

To imply that "2023 people" are soft and unmanly because they can't handle a little death and destruction is pathetic. I don't personally like all the competitors we race with, but I respect them and their lives, just like I respect and value the lives of my employees. I don't want to see any of them get hurt and I expect them to respect each other as well. If that means I'm not a "racer", then I done with this board and this discussion. I've been doing this for 59 years and I don't consider myself soft because I care about the driver's safety and well being.

1/13/23, 1:59 PM   #43
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but I gotta say that this is the worst "hot take" I've seen on this board. And that's saying something! I can't just hold my tongue and let this slide.

First of all, WAY to soon to be comparing a fatality experience with what happened Wednesday night. People are still processing what they witnessed. Anyone who saw the footage or still photos knows how serious the accident could have been. Let's celebrate that the worst didn't happen and heal from that before we start sharing stories about "the worst thing I ever saw..."

Second, I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to have some respect and reverence for death or serious injury. I laugh at T-Mez when he spouts his "Slider or Die" crap because I trust that he knows he's the court jester and that's his schtick. But when fans actually subscribe to that as a sign of greatness, I'm done with them. I'm VERY tired of interviews that say "It's the Chili Bowl, you gotta do what you gotta do" when the guy is battling for 7th place in the B-main. When you say "2023 people" couldn't "handle a situation like that", are you saying "2023 people" are soft and less manly that "2003 people"? Because you saw them go on with a racing program after witnessing a horrible event? I know that racing history is filled with severe injury and death. I've witnessed it. For me, that isn't what this sport is about. It's about competition, sportsmanship, fair play, and incredible precision. It's about the delicate ballet on dirt. Slide jobs and cross overs are awesome because they DON'T hit each other, not because they do. It's not about brute force and bullying.

Third, if this is a "business" because a handful of these drivers are "professionals", then let's treat this like a workplace accident. The first thing we would have to do after a workplace accident is stop production, seal off the area, and wait until the team of investigators arrived to determine what happened. IF it is deemed safe to resume operations, then we could go back to work. Somebody gets hurt on a forklift in my warehouse, we wouldn't "clean it all up, say a prayer" and get back to work.

Finally, this is ALL about entertainment. Auto racing, football, cage fighting, whatever, it's all about entertaining us as a society because we have evolved to a point where we can afford that luxury. In a civilized society, entertainment shouldn't be a blood sport. If you want to watch "gladiators" battle to the death, then I'm out. I'm done. I am not entertained by that. When somebody makes a stupid pass and gets away with it, I'm not impressed because he had "the balls" to "hang it all out". I'm offended. I'm offended by a driver, owner, or fan that thinks that's what this is all about. It shows a complete disrespect for each other. I know there have been a few contributions to science, knowledge, and engineering that come about because of racing. But these guys and gals are not "test pilots" exploring the limits of air and space, furthering our knowledge of physics. They're entertainers and product placement pawns. If they are "making" money at this, it's because somebody is using them for advertising. For the vast majority, it's just a way to have fun.

To imply that "2023 people" are soft and unmanly because they can't handle a little death and destruction is pathetic. I don't personally like all the competitors we race with, but I respect them and their lives, just like I respect and value the lives of my employees. I don't want to see any of them get hurt and I expect them to respect each other as well. If that means I'm not a "racer", then I done with this board and this discussion. I've been doing this for 59 years and I don't consider myself soft because I care about the driver's safety and well being.
Well said....

1/13/23, 2:32 PM   #44
dsc1600

I think it depends on how much you’ve seen. I think the WW2 generation that made up the 50s-70s racing generation had obviously dealt with a lot more than my generation, from depression to world war to seeing the president shot and killed. All of that is going to desensitize you to danger and death to some degree.

Nowadays and I think this is a good thing, we are not as used to it and don’t want to see drivers senselessly die because of bad safety measures, unsafe tracks etc….

1/13/23, 3:05 PM   #45
NoDramazone2020

Does anyone know the origination of the Marshmallow throwing ??? I was told this was a compromise between the Expo people and those who participate in this????.....What was being thrown before the marshmallows???......I like fun just like the other guy, however, this seems a little silly......maybe I am the old man in the room...haha

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, GlobalSpeedway Tours, TQ29m
1/13/23, 3:36 PM   #46
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 View Post
Does anyone know the origination of the Marshmallow throwing ??? I was told this was a compromise between the Expo people and those who participate in this????.....What was being thrown before the marshmallows???......I like fun just like the other guy, however, this seems a little silly......maybe I am the old man in the room...haha
No, I think I am!

1/13/23, 4:16 PM   #47
opnwhlmnd

Sorry to stray off topic but this was brought up in the thread so giving some input I know.

Keith Hutton is the driver who died in Oskaloosa. Keith was a great Aussie who moved to the states. Like most all Aussie's that cross paths in your life Keith was a great guy. Keith was Don Droud Jr's sprint crew chief and part time racer. I sadly was at Oskaloosa that night and think of Keith often to this day. Had many crazy times with him.

1/13/23, 7:36 PM   #48
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Torgerson Racing
nopsdeSrotl5ft48m5l1u4h46g1u705103a2ahg4fl20i44lg2 11cu6a0gum ·
@_Torgerson02 update...Guess who just got cleared to leave the hospital!!!..I truly feel everyone's prayers and support is what made this happen..I can't say thank you enough to each one of you!

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema
1/13/23, 9:39 PM   #49
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Just seen the Jack Hewett interview. Was class ,is class, will aways be class

1/14/23, 4:18 AM   #50
Pitdad

She was a bit dry and abrasive tonight...

But as always, pulloffs were available afterward.
Attached Images
IMG_1629.jpg (501.1 KB, 152 views)

4 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, OnTheHammer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl so far.