IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac spr
7/7/23, 6:08 PM   #21
Re: Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
When these decisions are made, they are all sitting on zero. That’s the only way to do it. Of course those behind in points would love an opportunity for the ones ahead of them to have bad luck, whether caused by track irregularities/format or not. But in the world of objectivity, you do what’s best for the whole and don’t worry about who needs to “make up points.”

The MSCS co-sanctions on the first day of Sprintacular and at Haubstadt in September are also appearance points. Huset’s was last year, as was the Knoxville two-day race when it had some rule differences. All effort is made for uniformity from race-to-race, but sometimes it is the best way to do it for everyone involved.

Enjoy the race. Forget the math for a weekend.
Fine by me. It was just a opinon and you know what they say about that and backsides.

Have a great weekend and certainly racin is better than no racin at all.

7/7/23, 11:46 PM   #22
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I understand why they only do show up points for these tiny tracks like Macon since they weren’t designed for sprint cars and it’s a crap shoot just to get through the night. But what I don’t understand is when they don’t award normal points for special shows on larger tracks simply because the show doesn’t follow the typical format. Enlighten me on what exactly were the rule differences at Knoxville that caused it not to be worthy of full points?
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 7/8/23 at 12:01 AM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/8/23, 12:34 AM   #23
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I understand why they only do show up points for these tiny tracks like Macon since they weren’t designed for sprint cars and it’s a crap shoot just to get through the night. But what I don’t understand is when they don’t award normal points for special shows on larger tracks simply because the show doesn’t follow the typical format. Enlighten me on what exactly were the rule differences at Knoxville that caused it not to be worthy of full points?
It was a normal point show this year, but the two-day shows of 2019-20 were appearance points only. Those races had an open tire rule, different format & no provisionals. In short, Knoxville wanted them to be show-up points only, just like their other “Nationals” events.

7/8/23, 7:33 AM   #24
Re: Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac
miledirt

What a race! Has to be top 5 of year

7/8/23, 11:24 AM   #25
Grocery Guy

Chet: Unbelievable! Oh race fans - you guys need to go pay again. You got more than your money's worth. Classic line! Wow...what a finish! 🏁

3 members like this post: flagboy55, mc/rider, oldfan49
7/8/23, 11:56 AM   #26
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Wow! Stellar track prep, love the old school black gumbo like Knoxville USED to have, not a spec of dust. A bit small for sprint cars but they managed to put on a great race once it got going and a wild finish. Congrats to Moles and Garrett! Now if Flo racing could learn to film the finish of races correctly that would be great!
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 7/8/23 at 12:18 PM.

7/8/23, 2:02 PM   #27
flagboy55

Throwback, I couldn’t agre with you more about the track prep, outstanding! NO DUST! Dust is rarely a deal breaker for me, but consider it a fabulous bonus when you don’t have to deal with it. My whole thoughts on this was I remember the Allstars used to run here, and Late Models have been running here forever, so wingless Sprint Car’s should be fine. And they were. Fantastic, actually. My recommendation to folks is to pack up the car and head to Macon, you won’t be disappointed

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99
7/8/23, 2:52 PM   #28
Grocery Guy

You guys make great points. Macon's black gumbo makes for unique dustless racing. Kudos to Bob Sargent's group over the years for his track prep. Reminds me a little of Haubstadt and their track car. I'm sure new ownership will be just as caring.

I saw my first Herald and Review 100 in 1982 when I moved downstate IL. Couldn't believe they were pitting late models in the infield! Later years, as Flag says, I saw the All Stars at Macon and will never forget seeing Jack Hewitt with his big bushy afro. 🤣 He was driving the blue Murphy car that year. Midgets are slide job city at Macon. Jerry Coons Jr told me he loves racing midgets at Macon.

Back in those 1980 days, Macon on Saturday night and Little Springfield on Sunday night were quite the weekly shows. Sure hope this Macon USAC weekend is repeated in 2024!

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Macon an entrance: Six top gun storylines for usac spr