IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
12/20/20, 6:56 PM   #11
Re: For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I didnt see the stands as a hot spot. Walking through crowds going to or leaving consessions, bathrooms and gates were concentrated at times.Plus I was guilty of not social distancing several times. You see a race buddy and forget yourself. Not so fun habits are hard to put into practice. No scientific proof but I think racetrack dust and methanol fumes and screaming 410s and maybe a beer or two might kill the virus

12/20/20, 11:45 PM   #12
duel

99.30% will not perish from this. We have been played. All hospitals are paid big money incentives to stamp someone "died of covid" even if they didn't die from it. Way overblown my opinion. 10 months now of panic from the media. I Had to take my wife into the emergency last week ann arbor. I could not enter? They tried to tie it to covid. Nothing at all to do with what her condition was. Not saying it's not there. It's being used for political purposes. I went to many races with lots of people in stands last year. Stay home if you are worried. That's freedom of choice. I am 66.
Last edited by duel; 12/21/20 at 12:11 AM. Reason: changes

12/21/20, 1:54 AM   #13

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I would not call myself a covid avoider, maybe cautious or concerned. I got to only less than half my usual races. Mostly due to tracks not open or races cancelled. Went to some limited seating, some limited seating that didn't look limited and a few packed houses where you would of had to assume no one ever heard of covid. Brought my face covering and used it when in crowed areas.

My opinion outdoor races are low risk. As I have heard of very little of folks catching it from the track or pits. Pits are the first place i thought you would see an outbreak with the same teams around each other night after night sometimes. Maybe you just don't sit in the prime seats this year. You can usually find somewhere to sit or stand away from others.

If I survive the Chilibowl I will try to get my race count back up next summer.

5 members like this post: dkdorkboy, flagboy55, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
12/21/20, 7:38 AM   #14
Spi-nex

It's been over 2 years since I went to my last race. My motivation to get back involved with the sport is just non-existent, COVID or otherwise. If I do go I won't be forced to wear a muzzle that's for damn sure.

2 members like this post: kcarm92, tirespinner
12/21/20, 8:18 AM   #15
addictedtodirt

Flights are booked for USAC in Feb and Indycar in March. I'll continue the same preventative measures of hand washing and distancing. I don't believe God will take me from this earth one minute before he has planned me to.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner, TNRustler
12/21/20, 9:20 AM   #16
DJlives

Nobody dies of COVID they die of pneumonia, heart issues etc. Same as process as AIDS.
I have lost a great racing buddy of 30 years and a friend of many on this board of COVID on Thanksgiving. Talking to a Kansas car owner last week he mentioned that a former driver lost his wife at 60. COVID. Al...who has written about auto racing in Indy for years lost his wife. COVID. One of our great USAC Champs and leaders has been very very sick and was so for nearly 2 weeks and isn't out of the woods. COVID and he's still a young man. D O Laycock's wife has been in the hospital. COVID. As the Associate Dean of the IU Medical School and a practicing ER doctor said in a meeting last week "if anyone doubts the seriousness of this come see me."

12/21/20, 12:21 PM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
99.30% will not perish from this. We have been played. All hospitals are paid big money incentives to stamp someone "died of covid" even if they didn't die from it. Way overblown my opinion. 10 months now of panic from the media. I Had to take my wife into the emergency last week ann arbor. I could not enter? They tried to tie it to covid. Nothing at all to do with what her condition was. Not saying it's not there. It's being used for political purposes. I went to many races with lots of people in stands last year. Stay home if you are worried. That's freedom of choice. I am 66.
JUST STOP! 317,000 dead so far....
Last edited by revjimk; 12/21/20 at 1:29 PM.

12/21/20, 12:25 PM   #18
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJlives View Post
Nobody dies of COVID they die of pneumonia, heart issues etc. Same as process as AIDS.
I have lost a great racing buddy of 30 years and a friend of many on this board of COVID on Thanksgiving. Talking to a Kansas car owner last week he mentioned that a former driver lost his wife at 60. COVID. Al...who has written about auto racing in Indy for years lost his wife. COVID. One of our great USAC Champs and leaders has been very very sick and was so for nearly 2 weeks and isn't out of the woods. COVID and he's still a young man. D O Laycock's wife has been in the hospital. COVID. As the Associate Dean of the IU Medical School and a practicing ER doctor said in a meeting last week "if anyone doubts the seriousness of this come see me."
A Hoosier racing friend of mine recently died of COVID. I'm gonna let a closer friend make the announcement if he thinks its appropriate
Its NOT a hoax

6 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish, JackSam40, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oldfan49
12/21/20, 12:27 PM   #19
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
I would not call myself a covid avoider, maybe cautious or concerned. I got to only less than half my usual races. Mostly due to tracks not open or races cancelled. Went to some limited seating, some limited seating that didn't look limited and a few packed houses where you would of had to assume no one ever heard of covid. Brought my face covering and used it when in crowed areas.

My opinion outdoor races are low risk. As I have heard of very little of folks catching it from the track or pits. Pits are the first place i thought you would see an outbreak with the same teams around each other night after night sometimes. Maybe you just don't sit in the prime seats this year. You can usually find somewhere to sit or stand away from others.

If I survive the Chilibowl I will try to get my race count back up next summer.
I've been wondering about that.... maybe since its outside & people are all facing the same direction, rather than facing each other, makes it safer?
Or maybe the cases are not being reported?

12/21/20, 12:34 PM   #20
Dougherty20

In early November and early December, I just lost BOTH my mother-in-law and father-in-law to COVID within 27 days of each other. I take it a bit personal when people say COVID is a HOAX. Yes, they were both in their 80's, but it isn't a HOAX. We can all be carriers, even if we don't get sick or have symptoms.

I want to race as bad as the next person. Yes, I will attend races even with this pandemic but please stop calling it a hoax.
Last edited by Dougherty20; 12/21/20 at 1:01 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For the COVID avoiders, when do return to the track?