Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Berms vs Loader Tires
8/17/14, 12:55 AM   #11
Re: Berms vs Loader Tires
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Tires definitely........Seem too many guys cheat with a berm..........If you hit a tire , it is your own fault..............JMO
Not always your fault. They guy in front of you can park on the cushion, power across the track into your RF, and slam you head first into said tractor tire. Hurts like a MF, never mind the bent frame.

Berms or guardrails.

1 member likes this post: leaglen
8/17/14, 8:49 AM   #12

I got to say Both. May sound stupid, but I hate it when a burm is not built right. I have been to several races where the burm has been built incorrectly and drivers take the short cut. Normally when that happens the fans get a dust bowl. Also if you are going to run a burm, you have to take care of that burm. The burm can only be so tall. If it gets to big, then you might as well bring out the tires because the burm will do just as much damage. I like the tracks that have a burm, then tires about a car width in. Those tracks will normally water all the way down to the tires. These tracks take care of the burm as well.

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/17/14, 9:32 AM   #13
red70racer

We have raced forever without issue with a tractor tire, the last 2 out of 3 outings we've had tractor tire issues. The first was a guy hit the tire in front of Pete, pushed it out and Pete smoked it, fortunately it was coming out of turn 4 for the checkers, it required a drag link replacement and 1 spot in the heat race
Last weekend the start of the feature with cars bunched up he gets drilled from the back and straight into the tire, he kept going but had about 1" toe out, which resulted in an ill handling car and a prematurely wore out front tire.
!st tire was too small and moved onto racing surface, 2nd tire was too large and didn't move.
In my biased opinion tractor tires belong on tractors

8/17/14, 5:29 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im sure something like this has been done before. But Im thinking like Mini Orange Slalom flags with a spring on both post that can be pressed into the infield line. You can even have a couple green ones in turn four start area. Track markers only, That wouldn't upset he car yet you wouldn't want to race over em yet hopefully not get knocked out into the track if they got hit.

Personally, I like the un-runable berms that are soft maybe six inch tall marble material. If you make em sold and packed then guys just setup to put their left fronts on em and weight transfer.

8/17/14, 5:49 PM   #15
DAD

Charles

You need to make something that drivers don't want to run over. Rumble strips on asphalt works pretty good. We tried them in Quarter midgets I guess back in the late 60's Dad would just set the car up to carry the left front over them and it kept everybody in line. QMA's next attempt was little 6 inch tall traffic orange cones, hit a cone and you were DQ'd right on the spot. Problem was we were racing so close to the cones that sometimes we blew them over, that sure brought about a lot of off track discussion. If someone could devise a rumble strip for dirt that couldn't be dislodged by a speeding race car we would really have something. So far as close as they have got is them old Loader tires and they might be just a bit overkill.

Honest Dad himself

8/17/14, 6:30 PM   #16
TQ29m

How about cow pies, or meadow muffins, just have to keep em wet? Bob

8/17/14, 10:19 PM   #17
DAD

Bob

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we could mine some of the product produced right here on the IOW and put it to good use.

We used to race at a track in Eastern Ohio, by the name of Brown County Speedway. During the week the owner used it to graze his cows and he hopefully would move them on race day. When the driver was leaving the race track they had to be real careful where they drove.

The track operators could Just take a spreader full of that stuff down at the bottom of the turn and spread it out a little and If your driver screwed up and ran too far down in the turn, I guess they would just have to ride home with the car back in the trailer. No harm no Foul.

Thinking about it a little bit more that stuff can be awfully greasy and might cause a car to spin out in front of traffic.

Back to the drawing board:>>>

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/17/14 at 10:21 PM.

8/18/14, 3:30 PM   #18
Daboy

A good berm any day.

8/18/14, 4:59 PM   #19
Mbarnes72

If you can't prep your berm surface to look like Knoxville (packed, with moisture and the same material as the track) then it can be much worse having the dust and marbles thrown onto the racetrack, as soon as that happens then everyone has to go down there which makes a single lane no passing marbled dustbowl.

Why hasn't anyone tried going the opposite way and dig an 8" deep trench instead of a berm? Nobody will purposely run it down there to unload the RR, throw junk on the surface and keep overwatered mudholes off the bottom lane of the racing surface.

8/18/14, 5:56 PM   #20
DAD

Mbarnes

What do you think about them rooms at the La Quinta Inn's, I used to do the Holiday Inn deal but Brain Surgery got old.

You are thinking out of the box and I Like That.

Bob and me might even be able to start an organic garden down there also.

Sounds like it might work> a guy on a grader could do that pretty easy also.
Guess that would be like running off the road onto a soft shoulder

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/18/14 at 9:23 PM.

1 member likes this post: Mbarnes72
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Berms vs Loader Tires