IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Emergency meeting tomorrow
6/21/23, 3:34 PM   #11
Re: Emergency meeting tomorrow
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 View Post
I am of the opinion there is nothing they can do to make the neighbors or the other fair folk happy.... they don't want racing there...period...end of story.
To a degree, what you state is true. Now, having said that, a track CAN “be a good neighbor” and run mufflers, have an “absolute” (NO racing, not a start the last race by) curfew, hand out passes, have “goodwill” events etc. Adversarial positions by track owners/operators will almost ALWAYS end up with the track losing, either in the short term or long term. Working with the locals has a lot higher probability of getting more people on your side. It is more work, but it at least has more possibilities.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, Jonr, NoDramazone2020, Tonymain74, TQ97
6/21/23, 5:07 PM   #12
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
To a degree, what you state is true. Now, having said that, a track CAN “be a good neighbor” and run mufflers, have an “absolute” (NO racing, not a start the last race by) curfew, hand out passes, have “goodwill” events etc. Adversarial positions by track owners/operators will almost ALWAYS end up with the track losing, either in the short term or long term. Working with the locals has a lot higher probability of getting more people on your side. It is more work, but it at least has more possibilities.
Ventura was in extreme danger of being shut down several years ago and would have without the efforts of Jim Naylor and the "Save Ventura Raceway" action group. In addition to mandating specific mufflers, Jim removed the roof from the granstands to eliminate the "bandbox effect" of reflecting sound back to the hillside across the freeway, added a sound-absorbing wall along the backstretch and instituted a curfew and earlier start times. Without those extreme measures that racy little joint would have just been a memory. Here's hoping Circle City takes this seriously.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 6/21/23 at 5:09 PM.

6/21/23, 6:07 PM   #13
Stevensville Mike

Timeline help: When did Circle City Raceway open under their current configuration? 2019?

6/21/23, 6:43 PM   #14
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Timeline help: When did Circle City Raceway open under their current configuration? 2019?
Probably right around then.

Before that though,it was called Mid America Speedway,and they ran motorcycles there but not every week from memory. I went there a couple times for something to do after the regular season in Indiana ended. They'd have a race around Halloween,and thats the one I went to.

I didnt add it to my speedways visited list till last year though when I went to the USAC sprint race late in the season.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dale, Ilovedirttrackracing
6/21/23, 7:01 PM   #15
TQ29m

We ran tqs there about 3 times a year back then, really dusty and rocky then, Gary Lee was the promoter then for the MTQRL.

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, Ilovedirttrackracing
6/21/23, 7:25 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 View Post
I am of the opinion there is nothing they can do to make the neighbors or the other fair folk happy.... they don't want racing there...period...end of story.
I spoke to the promoter about it in May. He said they are getting along with most of the people fine. He said there is one older couple who is doing most of the stirring, they live 2.5 miles away, and they have a lot of money. They were done early all 3 nights I have been this year.
As for a curfew, I think every track should have one. Sure, things like fence repair, ambulance delays happen, but if you run an efficient show, you should be able to still be done in a reasonable time. I feel a track should try to get over in 3.5 hours from first green until last checkered flag. That is about the average person's attention span.
I would have no problems with mufflers either. It may even help the sport grow in the long run.
I really like Circle City, and wish them luck.

6/21/23, 8:50 PM   #17
Stevensville Mike

Cannot wait for the results of the township meeting tonight.

On a sidebar, I have never come away happy from a township here in SW Michigan. Too much $$$ passed around under the table.

6/22/23, 12:26 AM   #18
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Facts of Indiana Midget Week 2023...show advertised as a 630pm EST start. First Midget pushed off at 725pm EST. 55 minute late start. Midget race car part of the show ran fairly efficiently and ended at a decent hour of 1018pm EST. However an entire Crown Vic show was yet to run and ended at 1130pm EST. That is not a job well done nor efficient full show when your having the trouble your having with nearby neighbors. Start nearly an hour late, end just before midnight on a weekday/work night.

Do I like the track, absolutely. Have they done a phenomenal job in removing rocks, absolutely. Will I be back, absolutely. Is 1130pm a good thing when your having trouble with neighbors, absolutely not. Are they causing problems and creating problems theirself, absolutely. Is it good for the track and racing in general, absolutely not. Hope Sprint Week still happens at the track.

3 members like this post: Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, spicoli
6/22/23, 4:23 AM   #19
Hubie48

I live and work in Indianapolis. I know people who live out there. Their biggest complaint, it was never used that much. They were "OK" with the six to eight shows, now it is every weekend.

when I visited the track for Midget Week there were a lot of new homes going up..... I personally think they are done and will be forced to stop.

6/22/23, 8:41 AM   #20
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I spoke to the promoter about it in May. He said they are getting along with most of the people fine. He said there is one older couple who is doing most of the stirring, they live 2.5 miles away, and they have a lot of money. They were done early all 3 nights I have been this year.
As for a curfew, I think every track should have one. Sure, things like fence repair, ambulance delays happen, but if you run an efficient show, you should be able to still be done in a reasonable time. I feel a track should try to get over in 3.5 hours from first green until last checkered flag. That is about the average person's attention span.
I would have no problems with mufflers either. It may even help the sport grow in the long run.
I really like Circle City, and wish them luck.
My first experience with racing was out in California at Hangtown (now Placerville) Speedway. Not only was it the track were I saw my first race, it was also the first track where I worked. I don't believe that we had muffler rules at first in the 70s (I remember being able to hear the track from our house, eight miles away on a quiet night), but we had to have the last feature started by 11:30 PM. Personally, I think that curfews are important to keep fans in the stands. Down here in the Houston area, there are no curfews (and few muffler rules), and I have been shooting at tracks as late as 0200 (or later - earlier?) in the morning, and this is for shows that started hotlaps around 6 or 7 in the evening. It is no wonder that 4 area tracks have shut down. Many a night there were fewer than a couple of hundred in the stands. As far as mufflers? I mean, yeah, we all like the raw sound of power, but if it takes putting a muffler on to keep racing, it only makes sense.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, jjones752, Jonr, the1jet17, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Emergency meeting tomorrow