IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unsolicited Advise To Tommy Helfrich
5/8/10, 1:22 PM   #1
Unsolicited Advice To Tommy Helfrich
Tony Barhorst

Tommy doesn't need this input...But drop the name HUT 100 from next years 100 lapper starting 33 cars... The name HUT 100 belongs in Terre Haute with Mike King and Company...Using it anywhere else is lame..

Tommy..next year call the race the HELFRICH 100...It fits better, and works on levels I like...

I know the racing will be good...give it it's own name next time.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 5/8/10 at 5:45 PM.

5 members like this post: ronmil, SprintManDave, SUPERDUKE, team3521, terrehautian
5/8/10, 3:08 PM   #2
Re: Unsolicited Advise To Tommy Helfrich
Metal66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
Tommy doesn't need this input...But drop the name HUT 100 from next years 100 lapper starting 33 cars... The name HUT 100 belongs in Terre Haute with Mike King and Company...Using it anywhere else is lame..

Tommy..next year call the race the HELFRICH 100...It fits better, and works on levels I like...

I know the racing will be good...give it it's own name next time.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
Tommy cant rename this race as it is a USAC sactioned race.He was asked by USAC to have it at Tristate Speedway.So you will have to talk to USAC about that.Hats off to Tommy for stepping up and at least giving The Hut 100 a great track to race on.And Tommy does have a race named after him at Tristate.Its called the HAUBSTADT HUSTLER SPRINT 50 paying $10,000 to win.And i believe this is the 5th track to have The Hut 100.

1 member likes this post: SteveD
5/8/10, 3:46 PM   #3
Tony Barhorst

Who is the originator of the name Hut 100?....I guess that is the place to start,...If USAC coined the name..then they can do what they want with it I imagine..

5/8/10, 3:54 PM   #4
SteveD

Pizzia Hut sponsership....

5/8/10, 4:00 PM   #5
Tony Barhorst

Steve..you beat me to it!...That lightbulb went off when I tried to look up Hut 100 on Wikipedia....anyway..historians...Who coined the name Hut 100?...

I want to drop this too..Tommy Helfrich can run a 100 lap 33 car midget race without USAC...just sayin..

5/8/10, 4:05 PM   #6
Jerry Shaw

Tony,

I was born here in Terre Haute. And was raised in the Terre Haute area. I've been to every single Hut Hundred that's been held at the Terre Haute Action Track, except the 4 years I was in the USMC. So, I'm pretty sure this race has more sentimental meaning to me, than it does to you. The bottom line is that the Action Track decided this year that they weren't interested in running the Hut Hundred (or the Sumar Classic, for that matter). So, Tom and the people at Tri-State Speedway decided to save this race. If it's successful and becomes a yearly event, I'm sure they will find another name for the race. But, on the first year of it's new location, the race's name isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Plus, considering how the last USAC Midget event that you promoted went, I don't think you have any right to be on your high horse, in judgement of Tom Helfrich. I guarantee you, it won't turn out to be as "lame" as what you did and how you acted, on that day. Quite the contrary, this one will turn out to be a race to remember and the current generation of drivers, Tom and his crew will do the memory of Hut Hundreds past proud.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/8/10, 4:13 PM   #7
Tony Barhorst

I am not judging Tom here...I had a good 1 hour conversation with Tom after the event you mentioned because MSCS had a date scheduled at the same track you mentioned I promoted. That race was to be held on July 3, 2008...It rained that day, fortunately for Tom.

I guess I think it is lame because, it's like moving the name Kentucky Derby to another track...and it is USAC that will pretty much cut the name from Terre Haute..and pasted it onto another race...just like that..

By the way..We still had a pretty good race that day at UCS...

I think Tommy will have a great race..He just doesn't need USAC to do it.

Another thing Jerry...What happens if midget racing is once again straightened out to have good car counts at Terre Haute?...Now the name Hut 100 is gone for them and used like a cheap shirt somewhere else?
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 5/8/10 at 5:19 PM.

5/8/10, 4:30 PM   #8
racerdog45

You guys do realize the Hut hasn't always been held at Terre Haute, right? The race is a USAC race and props to them and TSS for trying to bring it back to life. How often do people on here complain about USAC not trying to do the right thing and when they do they get slammed, of course slammed by a promoter who has a beef with them.... Word of a-d-v-i-c-e Mr. Barhorst, worry about your own events, which of late (UCS, Speedrome, etc.) have been less than stellar and have done little to help midget racing. AS far as the name being used like a "cheap shirt", Terre Haute passed on running the race, the name will LIVE on instead of dying, kind of like the Rumble in the Dome, errrr Ft. Wayne huh..... If I didn't own a business and could have gotten away today I would have drove the many hours and miles to see the Hut today. HOPEFULLY things will go right and it'll be run again next year, and for MANY to come.
Last edited by racerdog45; 5/8/10 at 4:32 PM.

5/8/10, 5:10 PM   #9
Tony Barhorst

Joe,

I did bring midgets back to the Speedrome last year...after many years of inactivity...maybe that had something to do with them coming back this year, who knows? So all was not lost in the advancement of midget racing. I just chose not to return to Kitley...because the place is yet another trash strewn hellhole....It is HARD to find a good outdoor race track these days that is open to rent....... In regard to midget week..I advanced it to a four day deal in 2007...so that advancement still stands...There are people in high places that will tell you that...

Unless USAC owns the name Hut 100...something doesn't ring true about it. Maybe they own the name...I just feel bad for Terre Haute... That is what I am sayin...Still....I know it will be a great race..lets pretend it's Terre Haute.

Nothin personal Joe..it's just a slow news day I guess...

I would probably be there too if it wasn't so far away...I love the midgets , and Tri State is a great track..everyone knows it will be good..they don't need the name..
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 5/8/10 at 5:21 PM.

5/8/10, 5:44 PM   #10
Seadog

I respect Tony for what he has done for racing over the years. He is a true promoter. But his prejudice against USAC shows when he posts stuff like this on here. I know he and USAC had a falling out a few years ago. But I recall him saying right here on IOW that it was all "water under the bridge."

Let it go Tony. You should be above all this pettiness. I don't recall anybody from USAC busting your chops in public.

It will be a good race. As long as that's the case, who cares what it's called?

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unsolicited Advise To Tommy Helfrich