IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""
8/6/13, 1:32 PM   #1
Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""
team3521

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

STUPID article! The author here knows nothing about "real" racing.

8/6/13, 1:47 PM   #2
Panama

Knowledge, or the lack thereof, has never stopped the media from weighing in on ANY topic!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/6/13, 1:48 PM   #3
Re: Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""
Vukie

Very simple, don't read the article.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, OTSNWR, PAW, Rex W., speed bump, tim kelley
8/6/13, 1:52 PM   #4
johnnythunderhead
Banned

anytime they can make sprint cars safer, i'm all for it as long as it doesn't make the costs prohibitive/ but there's only s much they can do/ the main thing seems to revolve around the belts, seats and head/neck restraints, and I doubt if any of those items had anything to do with tony's injury. as it is sprint car racing is much, much safer than it was in open cockpit days of yore when the sport was so brutal that I pretty much chose not to go. and thankfully it becomes safer each year, we do seem to learn from bad nasty's. I only attended a few open cockpit races and thankfully all went off o k.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 8/6/13 at 8:39 PM.

1 member likes this post: minispeed
8/6/13, 1:59 PM   #5
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Did you actually read the article or just the headline?

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, jim goerge, KRJoyce1, Rex W., speed bump, TQ29m
8/6/13, 2:13 PM   #6
treecitytornado

I didn't see anything wrong with the article! I read the whole thing. Head and neck restraints and full containment seats should be mandatory, even at local tracks! If we can improve the design of a Sprint Car to make it safer, than I'm all for it!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/6/13, 2:30 PM   #7
TQ29m

There are probably more things you can't do, than things you can do, to make Sprint car or any open wheel racing safer, it's just the nature of the beast, it seems the trend has been to protect the spectator, and that's as it should be, but safer barriers will do little to help these cars, other than cut out most of the dirt tracks to race on, it is as it was in the old days, a very dangerous sport, it is not a "game", as the old saying goes, Bull riding, Mountain climbing, and Open Wheel racing are sports, everything else is a game, and protecting the paying customer comes with a high price tag, mostly to protect them from themselves, I think we've gone about as far as possible to protect the driver, and still call them open wheel race cars, and everyone that straps in, by now, should know what the outcome could be. As Tony would say, "not pretty", but it sure is fun! Bob

4 members like this post: jjones752, PAW, racephoto1, team3521
8/6/13, 2:37 PM   #8
RacinFool

Sorry to say that if it wax easy (safe) evrerybody would be doing it........

8/6/13, 3:16 PM   #9
midgetmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3521 View Post
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

STUPID article! The author here knows nothing about "real" racing.
Let's hope OLE CHIP doesn't pull the plug on Larson over this

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, team3521
8/6/13, 3:16 PM   #10
buckshot3448

You can only make a sprint car so safe. safer barriers sure wont do much as we would flip over them. Stewarts wreck was just one of those things. He hit right where his leg was into the other car theres not much you can do to prevent that, there's no room inside to protect from it. Sprint cars are reaching higher speeds and evolving more and more. We all know the risk involved and everyone does there part to make them as safe as possible. It's just the nature of the beast. If someone can find a way to make them a little bit safer im all for it. As to the article I thought it was good and not bad at all but there are plenty of the bad ones out there already

1 member likes this post: PAW
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here we go with all the "Sprint cars needs more safety""