IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Read this. What i noticed from grandstands.
7/13/10, 12:43 AM   #1
Read this. What i noticed from grandstands.
sprinterfan

Kokomo Speedway, Sunday night. Drivers, owners, and crew chiefs were walking and riding around the track before feature time. I WANT SOMEBODY TO EXPLAIN THIS TO ME! Jeff Walker, on his four wheeler, with Chris Windom sitting on the front went over to turns 3 and 4. Using his four wheel he pushed the inside tires further out into the groove. Chris Windom started on the pole. During the first red flag, they all fired back off. At this point, Windom lost the lead to Coons running the top. Levi Jones and Chris Windom both pushed the tires down the track where they were to begin with so they can get to the moisture where noone else had been running. They go back green and Coons lost the lead. Jones and Windom pull away using this groove THEY created by knocking the tires down. SECOND RED FLAG. The track owner, went to the turn 3 and 4 tire, pushed it back out where it was supposed to be then walked over to Levi and Windoms car. Then proceded back to the turn 3 and 4 tire to push it back down where Levi had knocked it down too............. ????? Perimeter racing in Kokomo.

7/13/10, 1:07 AM   #2
Re: Read this. What i noticed from grandstan
1967brad

Trivia how many features wins did mr jeff walker have in his racing days?? Some have had it good!!!

7/13/10, 7:08 AM   #3
Joe@ScaleSprints

Everyone raced on the same track. The other 20 cars could have ran that same low line as they did.

7/13/10, 7:43 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sounds like a big bad conspiracy to me, Call Axelrod, Im sure he'll get the message to the top.

There was DM did mention something in the broadcast how the tires are never in the same spot. Other than that, Everyone was on the same track.

7/13/10, 7:49 AM   #5
Racerrob

I wish somebody would have pushed the wall out for us!!!

No really, I don't know what it was, but the upper grove after the red was just not as fast. We lost almost 1/2 a second from before the red for East and Gardner to right after the red. I thought maybe the tire had sealed over but grinding it on the next open red did not help and at least one other driver reported the same experience of the top groove having no grip right after the red.

After watching Coons rim ride for 20+ laps, watching him putt around the bottom just to keep up was depressing. I think we are getting closer on this new chassis but it is a very steep learning curve. Looking forward to the rest of sprintweek.

Rob Hoffman

7/13/10, 8:02 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post

No really, I don't know what it was, but the upper grove after the red was just not as fast. We lost almost 1/2 a second from before the red for East and Gardner to right after the red. I thought maybe the tire had sealed over but grinding it on the next open red did not help and at least one other driver reported the same experience of the top groove having no grip right after the red.

After watching Coons rim ride for 20+ laps, watching him putt around the bottom just to keep up was depressing. I think we are getting closer on this new chassis but it is a very steep learning curve. Looking forward to the rest of sprintweek.

Rob Hoffman
I was beginning to Wonder Rob but you have run good at times. Every note in the big book needs tweaked I suppose. Good luck the rest of the week.
Chuck

7/13/10, 8:16 AM   #7
stanbrough4presidentgo53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@ScaleSprints View Post
Everyone raced on the same track. The other 20 cars could have ran that same low line as they did.
Ya cause that makes for fun racing and lots of passing

7/13/10, 9:23 AM   #8
axsom#11

Ya , just when you think you have the track figured out it changes on you . dirt is a pain , but that is what makes it fun setting up the cars. I dealt with that a LPS sat night with a changing track , slick dry and dusty early and moisture coming up at sun set for a couple of races and then back to slick again. Good Luck Sprint Week people with the setups.

7/13/10, 11:27 AM   #9
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

I have adjusted my car on a red, but will have to remember to adjust the track as well next time.

We were looking at where the tires were on the next to last red and I noted that they were a full car width farther in than normal through 1-2

Reminded me of the old L-burg when they had the tires in around the light poles. The top was just too far to go around. Looking at the width of the track Sunday night and doing some quick figuring it should have been about 600 feet farther around the top.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

7/13/10, 11:28 AM   #10
RGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post

Rob Hoffman
I thought maybe you guys sealed a rr too! The red was definatly long enough. Its one of the reasons I love this sport, how much the track can change. Good luck the rest of the week rob and jerry!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Read this. What i noticed from grandstands.