IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Park Speedway - August 24th
8/21/13, 2:06 PM   #21
Re: Lincoln Park Speedway - August 24th
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
If I ran a track and saw Someone else was paying less, and getting more cars, why would I ever pay more for the purse.
Exhibit "A" is always Paragon. The big purse may draw the top teams, but it doesn't draw the most teams.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/21/13, 2:14 PM   #22
TQ29m

Maybe from your perspective as a fan, but not from the perspective of an actual car owner, who knows his budget, and what he can spend to satisfy his craving to race, like someone else said, a win is a win to a lot of us "field fillers" as we sometimes are refered to, and we know that, so why go somewhere we know going in, it is going to be a big loss, that might have bought us 3-4 more races this season or next, sometimes I have a problem with the "mindset" of "non car owners", but just being a simple ass, I guess I wouldn't understand anyway! Bob

1 member likes this post: Dirtfan
8/21/13, 2:24 PM   #23
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktime3 View Post
It is because of this prevailing small-time mindset. Why would anyone strive for more money or higher car counts if they can plainly see that Indiana sprint car racing would rather race local shows?

Why wouldn't all tracks want to work toward successful races that make racers happy and make more money?

This year is a step backwards from last year. Two Indiana tracks chose to compete against the Smackdown this year. While a competitor like Mr. Morin wouldn't go to Kokomo, surely some will choose to skip Kokomo to instead race at Bloomington or Putnamville. Or leave after Thursday night. Not only will Kokomo lose competitors (even one is an impact when trying to show the growing strength of a start-up "big show"), they will also lose fans, not only in those who will spectate at Bloomington/Putnamville but in those who will compete there instead of watching Kokomo.

This all sends the wrong message. I hope O'Connors press on despite this mindset. I hope they continue to pay, despite this mindset. I hope sponsors will want to be involved, despite this mindset.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for explaining. I suspect that many racers are perfectly content with what they're doing: racing one night a week, just for fun, with no illusion of ever going big time. They might think that it would be great to be able to race full-time for big bucks but they know that it's never going to happen and they're OK with that. They're having fun. They have enough to worry about buying a new tire or enough fuel. I sure can't expect them to carry the burden of growing the sport. JMO, but then again, I've never been a "bigger is always better" kind of guy.
Bottom line, like Brent said, I hope everybody has a safe weekend.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, TQ29m
8/21/13, 2:46 PM   #24
quicktime3

And that's fine.

What I'm saying is, the tracks should want to grow the sport. And those of us who want to see professional sprint car drivers have a chance to make a living should want to grow the sport. And those car owners who complain about pay or sponsors or pretty much anything should want to grow the sport. And any driver who ever aspires to make money racing or even just wants to "be somebody" should want to grow the sport. Bigger events do not mean the end of local shows. A more successful non-wing sprint car racing world would actually open up more racing and more opportunities from top to bottom.

Maybe I'm from a different planet, but this seems like a no-brainer for anyone who truly loves sprint car racing.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Sprintfan1985
8/21/13, 4:35 PM   #25
BrentTFunk

Exactly. My problem is 2 weeks from now when everyone is saying the races should pay more. I see that all the time on here. Racers can decide that by who they choose to support.

1 member likes this post: Clydesdale
8/21/13, 5:42 PM   #26
PJ Wright

Brent and qt3: I understand your logic, but sometimes there are other, more subtle, factors involved in a team's decision where to race. Let's say there is racer from near P'ville. All his family, crew, those folks who have supported him with a few bucks all live near by and, for a variety of reasons, can't travel anywhere other than their local track. Why shouldn't they get to watch their buddy race this weekend? Each team knows their own situation and budget better than I do, so who am I to tell them where and when they should race?
Just to be clear, I think the Smackdown is a great event that will have long-term success. I just don't think the rest of the Indiana sprint car world needs to shut down in order to make that happen.

6 members like this post: BrandonT30, BrentTFunk, Darlin, Redwood17257, TQ29m, wolfracer69
8/21/13, 5:56 PM   #27
quicktime3

I don't think you do understand. The point is not that guys should not want to race. The point is that by giving everyone the option, the tracks are competing with Smackdown and taking away from it. And I honestly can't imagine that it's a good business decision to run this weekend, either. Even a profit this weekend would have to be marginal. August isn't notoriously good for business, anyway.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: TQ97
8/21/13, 6:08 PM   #28
PJ Wright

Quote:
I don't think you do understand. The point is not that guys should not want to race. The point is that by giving everyone the option, the tracks are competing with Smackdown and taking away from it.

Posted via Mobile Device
So you don't think racers should have the option of where they're going to race??? "If you're going to race your sprint car this weekend, Buddy, it's going to be where I say". Tell me again how dictating to a racer when and where he can race is going to "grow the sport". Wow, I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Last edited by PJ Wright; 8/21/13 at 6:16 PM. Reason: ...and another thing!

2 members like this post: Dirt Trackin 76, TQ29m
8/21/13, 6:13 PM   #29
TQ29m

Quote:
I don't think you do understand. The point is not that guys should not want to race. The point is that by giving everyone the option, the tracks are competing with Smackdown and taking away from it. And I honestly can't imagine that it's a good business decision to run this weekend, either. Even a profit this weekend would have to be marginal. August isn't notoriously good for business, anyway.

Posted via Mobile Device
I have the feeling you are the one who doesn't understand, there will still be a load of cars there, and the other entities will have their share as well, what difference does it make to you, where or why people/teams decide to show their support, everyone comes out happy in the end, except you, maybe, you have lost me, and I think you're lost also! Do you realize that oftimes, too many show up, and it makes a lot of people unhappy, just because it takes a lot of time to work thru the stack! Bob

8/21/13, 6:18 PM   #30
Rpracing1

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lincoln Park Speedway - August 24th