IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown updates
9/25/16, 2:19 PM   #51
mikew

Sadly, I couldn't stay for the whole thing. I brought my two young boys, a friend of mine from work, and a buddy of mine with his young son as well. My boys had been there before with me, but my friends had not. So their first experience of Eldora was seeing racing start 2 hours after it was supposed to, even though it was a bluebird day.

It is what it is.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/25/16, 2:38 PM   #52
Re: 4 crown updates
SPRINTCAR

Started the program an hour late, 5pm. Racing was suppose to start at 8pm which in my opinion was to late of a start anyhow. Two day show with features only on the second day. One price for admission whether you show for both nights or just the features. Much easier to manage track prep and get the fans home/campground at a decent time. Just like it use to be. I know this is a added cost for the race teams but who does not want to win at The 4 Crown? The dust, it's a dirt track. I've best dusted out about everywhere I have been at some time or another.

9/25/16, 3:13 PM   #53
kb78

Loved the classes and the program, agreed that the track needed reworked. The only problem is the actual time. Here is my solution, next year start hot laps and tt at noon or 1:00. After that's done you have the afternoon to rework the track and restart at 7:00. You can have your autograph session between sessions to give folks something to do. Folks that don't want to spend all day can come late, go back to the camper, or go shopping for racing shirts. Keep the Outlaws on Friday and the All-Stars on Saturday. Like it or not, they help draw the crowd.
Last edited by kb78; 9/25/16 at 3:15 PM.

9/25/16, 4:34 PM   #54
bmemmer

Maybe have the all stars have a special format with group qualifying. They had 40 cars. Would help with time management. With everything everybody said. I will be back next year. Yes some of the races were blowouts but it's absolutely amazing how hard Rico and Windom was running the wall with the leads they had. Hell Windom had a Championship on the line had lapped up to 4th and ran the last lap of the race as hard as his first. Something of beauty

9/25/16, 6:14 PM   #55
flagboy55

I feel bad for all those who couldn't hang in there, if I would have had young kids with me I might not have held out either. Talking to Mr Funk, we thought maybe they should have worked harder during the day to get it in better shape so it wouldn't need a complete re-work. If they had left it alone there probably would have been twice as many complaints that they didn't do anything. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. All I can say is the weekend was great other than that delay. You folks that choose to say I'm not coming back or I'm no going till something changes are only depriving yourself. All the racing was great in it's own right, and that includes the wing cars. Actually if I would have left after the sprint car race I wouldn't have felt cheated. Rico's dominance was remarkable as well as Windom in the crown cars. I have been to Eldora enough times to say they usually are very efficient, last night was an error, it happens sometime. I will agree with Brent, I'm sure they are already figuring what needs to be done better so mistakes like that don't happen again. That was the biggest crowd I've seen there other than the kings or world in quite some time so they plan was good, just missed on execution.
My suggestion would be to qualify the midgets and crown cars on Friday with the outlaws. Either way I am already looking forward to next year!

8 members like this post: bmemmer, EPSpeed, Jbaldwin, mc/rider, miller51b, ronmil, spicoli, t_inmyface
9/25/16, 7:58 PM   #56
Sprintcarfanatic

When they tilled/magic fingered it looked like it would have been fine just to run in as the rework looked like the moisture was there. Then out came the water truck.

I didn't mind 1 bit about them bringing out the youngsters to Victory Lane. But the rest of the downtime is/was uncalled for. I guess the announcers earned their money last night.

Did the rework hurt the fast timers in the 1st couple of heats of non wings ?

I did say something to Chuck along the lines of "Is this going to be an all nighter without a rain delay" !!! Hannagan also said something to that effect when interviewed.

I seen a lot of folks walking out at various stages of the night.

Did Brian Tyler not have extra parts as they would have had ample time to get'er repaired ?

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
9/25/16, 9:05 PM   #57
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Drove 5 hours there from central Illinois with my girlfriend and our two eight year old boys. We got there at 4 p.m. and i was very excited for them to see their first race at Eldora. I was also excited to sit in the grandstands for the first time there ever and just take it in. Seemed like they were behind the 8 ball all night long and even though i saw some good heat races to say i was disappointed is an understatement. Being involved i thought it was a bad decision to add the All-Stars and for the most part i feel like that was correct thinking. The fans don't get much of the extra "bang for their buck" when they have to stay up until 3 a.m. We left at 11 p.m with a disappointed gal, two grouchy and exhausted boys, and one very ticked off guy who drove 5 hours to see ZERO features in a 7 hour period.

9/25/16, 9:39 PM   #58
PIT CART

I didn't mind 1 bit about them bringing out the youngsters to Victory Lane. But the rest of the downtime is/was uncalled for. I guess the announcers earned their money last night.
Those kids and parents deserve to have a chance to stand on the big stage!! But to start at 10:00 for the heat races?

9/25/16, 10:23 PM   #59
Nut'n but Dirt

Need to hot lap and qualify in the afternoon. Also recommend that they have one whole group-sprints, whatever-all park up top, since not all cars can park down in the pits, and organize them in the pits during their time qualifying and have them all go back up top. That took time when different cars had to go over the track. Then take two hours for track prep and autograph session. Start heats at 7:00 and run the program. I believe we would get out by midnight.

9/26/16, 2:02 AM   #60
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer74 View Post
Silver crown race checkered at 2:45. Waited around, got our pay, got loaded up, and headed back home. Sun was up when we got there. We had a great time. I simply can not wait for it again next year.

The place was pretty full. Not world 100 full, but the biggest 4 crown I had ever seen, by far. Great racing all night, in all classes. The time they took to rework the track was well worth it. The majority of the crowd that did leave early, left after the All Star feature. But, better than 90% were still there until the last checkered flew.

Just our observations from pitside.
No way 90% of the people were still there. My estimate would be less than half when I left during Silver Crown.
They did their best, I'm not complaining, but need a better plan

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown updates