IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Head and neck restraint
6/14/13, 8:29 AM   #1
Head and neck restraint
sc96

Has anyone died from neck trauma while using one of the available devices???

Posted via Mobile Device

6/14/13, 9:59 AM   #2
Re: Head and neck restraint
Max Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Are you referring to just the HANS device, or everything on the market, regardless of manufacturer?

6/14/13, 10:15 AM   #3
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
That's a good question...the Hans device and the Hutchins device etc... has only been out for what? 10 years? maybe 12 years? So you would have to go back in history that far to look at all the fatalities since they have been being utilized.

I can't remember to be honest. There haven't been a lot of deaths in that time frame from what I remember.

I know accidents do happen, especially in Midget and Sprint car racing and anyone that chooses not to use one when it's not manditory, is an absolute fool in my opinion. They're a cheap item compared to laying in the hospital with a broken neck or worse, dead from a basal skull fracture.

I found this on Wikipedia: I don't think that any of these drivers listed were killed in the time frame mentioned above...

Basilar skull fractures are a common cause of death in many motor racing accidents. Drivers who have died as a result of basilar skull fracture include Formula One drivers Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna, Indianapolis 500 drivers Bill Vukovich, Tony Bettenhausen, Floyd Roberts, and Scott Brayton, NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt Sr., Adam Petty, Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, Jr., Neil Bonnett, John Nemechek, J. D. McDuffie, and Richie Evans, CART drivers Jovy Marcelo, Greg Moore and Gonzalo Rodriguez, and ARCA drivers Blaise Alexander and Slick Johnson.

To prevent this injury, all major motor sports sanctioning bodies now mandate the use of head and neck restraints, such as the HANS device.

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/14/13, 12:37 PM   #4
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Revs View Post
Are you referring to just the HANS device, or everything on the market, regardless of manufacturer?
Any type

Posted via Mobile Device

6/14/13, 4:02 PM   #5

Not trying to start any thing. Just asking a question. Did either Josh or Jason die of a basilar skull fracture? I really don't know.

Tom Paterson

6/14/13, 5:05 PM   #6
raceway video

The autopsy shows it was a blunt force neck injury that killed him. Something must have hit him in the neck.

According to his team, Leffler was wearing a Simpson Hybrid head and neck restraint system, which is one of six approved for use in NASCAR. A blunt force injury occurs when an object strikes the body with force causing compression of tissue. Head and neck restraints are designed to prevent injuries resulting from deceleration trauma when the body is moving and strikes another moving or stationary object, causing stretching or tearing of body tissue.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2421945/
Last edited by raceway video; 6/14/13 at 5:14 PM.

1 member likes this post: Dalton Dietrich
6/14/13, 5:07 PM   #7
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

By the looks of the picture (please nobody repost) the left halo on the seat looked bent, like it might have struck the wall.

6/14/13, 5:10 PM   #8
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
Not trying to start any thing. Just asking a question. Did either Josh or Jason die of a basilar skull fracture? I really don't know.

Tom Paterson
In regards to Jason Leffler's accident, I read that a witness of the accident said that it appeared that his seat somehow came loose or "dislodged", but an autopsy found that Jason died of blunt force neck trauma after he hit the wall.

"According to his team, Leffler was wearing a Simpson Hybrid head and neck restraint system, which is one of six approved for use in NASCAR. The Delaware County (Pa.) Medical Examiner ruled Thursday that Leffler was killed from a blunt force neck injury, which occurs when an object strikes the body with force causing compression of tissue. Head and neck restraints are designed to prevent injuries resulting from deceleration trauma when the body is moving and strikes another moving or stationary object, causing stretching or tearing of body tissue."

The car flipped around and hit the left side of the car up against the wall...

6/14/13, 5:28 PM   #9
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3521 View Post
In regards to Jason Leffler's accident, I read that a witness of the accident said that it appeared that his seat somehow came loose or "dislodged", but an autopsy found that Jason died of blunt force neck trauma after he hit the wall.

The car flipped around and hit the left side of the car up against the wall...
Explains the seat

6/15/13, 12:41 PM   #10
badcoupe

I wondered if Josh was as well but didn't want to ask yet. Also did they ever release a exact cause of death for him. I always think about safety items etc and that's why I ask.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Head and neck restraint