IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac record 118 midgets officially entered for bc39
8/31/18, 8:24 AM   #11
Re: Usac: Usac record 118 midgets officially entered for bc3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I still dont get this format or Wed's feature. You get passed, you drop out? Where do they drop too? Im sure with media etc that infield is very small.
Chuck, I am thinking it could be modeled after the Australian pursuit races that was done years ago?

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Vookie
8/31/18, 9:07 AM   #12
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

After watching the videos of Sarah lapping on media day, I don't think the track is as small as people might think it is based on the grassy area in the infield; my guess is that there will be a dirt apron maybe 5-10 feet wide around the perimeter of the grass and the white tires will be out on the edge of that apron, much like Kokomo (no surprise there). Not saying it's huge but the grass does create sort of an optical illusion. That being said there may not be room for too many photogs and the pursuit dropouts, but they work out tougher traffic issues at the Little 500...
Also, I saw a picture yesterday of the Yard of Bricks on the wall at the start/finish (that's just way too cool) and It looks like Reese is getting the track worked in pretty well now; much more moisture, good sheepsfoot pattern, doesn't look like as many rocks. It's getting there. I can't wait.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 8/31/18 at 9:09 AM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester
8/31/18, 9:22 AM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I never wanted anyone to get me wrong on my questioning of things.
By any definition this first race will be a huge $$$ loser for IMS (Track Construction alone)

It adds to options in the future a well, Could see a Tues Night Midget week race. Could bring more car owners into our type of racing and/or sponsors, I don't know what the plans are. But in going from a temporary track as was advertised to a permanent that has been built, Im sure they have more plans for it.

Anyway, Gotta give thanks to all involved. Looked so weird to see the IMS pres Boles? in a suit on the dirt track with Sarah and others.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jjones752
8/31/18, 9:38 AM   #14
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I met Doug at Montpelier during Midget week and he was in jeans and a t-shirt; I commented on the fact that is was the first time I'd seen him without a coat & tie and he said (with a huge grin on his face) that it felt good to be in regular race track attire. Even though he probably has to wear the suit as part of his official position, he's still wearing that big grin in every picture I see of him in close proximity to the dirt track. I think everyone who runs into him at the dirt track next week should give him a huge thank you for making this happen, and maybe give him, Reese and everyone involved a little bit of credit for doing the best they can in a very short amount of time. Seems like every time a picture is posted someone has something to gripe about, and the next pic that's posted that issue has been put to bed. Not because of the griping, but because things take time. Could be once all is said and done the only gripe will be the G.A. stands are too far away. Given the field of entries I don't think the price of admission is out of line, but then again I never did.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, davidm, dirt330, TNRustler
8/31/18, 2:23 PM   #15
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I never wanted anyone to get me wrong on my questioning of things.
By any definition this first race will be a huge $$$ loser for IMS (Track Construction alone)

It adds to options in the future a well, Could see a Tues Night Midget week race. Could bring more car owners into our type of racing and/or sponsors, I don't know what the plans are. But in going from a temporary track as was advertised to a permanent that has been built, Im sure they have more plans for it.

Anyway, Gotta give thanks to all involved. Looked so weird to see the IMS pres Boles? in a suit on the dirt track with Sarah and others.
Before I answer I just want to say that this is no slam on USAC or the Clausons. Chuck if you run the numbers its obvious IMS wont be losing a dime on this race. Let me throw some numbers out there.

Lets do a low estimate, 3000 on night 1 and 4500 on night 2
Night 1
tickets 3000 x $25 = $75,000
Parking 1500 car x $10 = $15,000
Pit Passes 400 @ approx $40 = $16,000
Thats $106,000 before you talk concessions

Night 2
tickets 4500 @ average of $45 = $202,000
Pit passes 400 @ approx $40 = $16,000
Parking 1500 car x $10 = $15,000
Thats $233,000 before you talk concessions
$339,000 and thats before you talk about the $40 "Premium parking" inside the big track which from what I can tell is over by the front straightaway.
Are you saying that the cost of building the track and staffing the ticket and concessions are more than that? Building the track is what is called a capital expense and the cost of capital expenses are paid over the years not in one event. Its probably a tax advantage to keep that expense on the books for years.

Do you still think they will lose $$? Are my estimates way off? The speedway NEVER loses money. Thats why the tickets are expensive and there is a charge for parking. When in doubt do the math.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/31/18, 2:28 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Considering the concrete wall probably is half a million alone if not more.
The grandstand, I dont know if it's rented, they own it or what, but it goes up and comes down every race I suppose.
Probably 500 if not more loads of clay.
I doubt Reece works for free.
They are running shuttles and I guess renting lights
I seen they had Dusick do the sound.
Id say they'll lose pretty big on just one race.
Get to five races a year, Sprint,s Midgets, Maybe a hell tour Im sure smoke would hold a all star. It'll be ok.
One of the neatest winged sprint races I ever seen, was on the smallest track I ever seen em run on, Old Portsmouth. They totally backed em in.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/31/18 at 2:41 PM.

8/31/18, 2:58 PM   #17
racefan20

Chuck if they have 2 races a year you will be lucky.....and the video I saw it sure doesnt look like clay to me, I could be wrong.

Last edited by racefan20; 8/31/18 at 3:00 PM.

9/1/18, 11:22 AM   #18
BrentTFunk

I hope they make money. I like paying more to see racers make more money. I would rather pay a little more, rather than having to sit through 3 or 4 other classes. They probably could have paid less purse and got the same amount of cars.

2 members like this post: jjones752, PIT CART
9/1/18, 1:32 PM   #19
racefan20

I agree Brent, the number of cars is all about the chance to run at IMS dont think the purse was much of a factor.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac record 118 midgets officially entered for bc39