IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac & imca dirt track racing 50 60 70s
2/25/10, 5:35 PM   #1
Usac & imca dirt track racing 50 60 70s
SUPERDUKE
Banned

How many seen racing then? Was the tracks dusty and black slick and laying rubber down in those days? Be honest! I know there was a few! Damm few!

2/25/10, 6:24 PM   #2
Re: Usac & imca dirt track racing 50 60 70s
cowboyhar69

Duke,
I remember all of the daytime shows at Terre Haute, New Bremen, Eldora etc. on Sunday afternoons and you're right!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: SUPERDUKE, wallbanger II
2/25/10, 6:48 PM   #3
D.O.

Besides the tracks watch Dick Wallen's video and check out the crowds at the tracks.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, MickeyD, SUPERDUKE
2/25/10, 7:47 PM   #4
Mark Sr

I have said it before!! born and raised in Terre haute, I can tell you it was so bad you could not see the car's.. and I know what D.O is talking about.. eating dirt and smelling poop.. those was the day's..

2/25/10, 7:58 PM   #5
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
i have said it before!! Born and raised in terre haute, i can tell you it was so bad you could not see the car's.. And i know what d.o is talking about.. Eating dirt and smelling poop.. Those was the day's..
i raced there and i never seen a lot dust back then

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.o. View Post
besides the tracks watch dick wallen's video and check out the crowds at the tracks.
your right great crowds how bout when there was no tickets for the grandstand at the hoosier 100! Had to go in the infield! And your 100% right on dick's videos

2/25/10, 8:26 PM   #6
racerjim2

Duke, I think maybe your thinking about Winchester and Salem with the black surfaces. But, I remember a little dust and smoke coming of those double diamonds.

2/25/10, 8:28 PM   #7
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Duke,

I wasn't there as I was born in '77. But I thought you might like these shots:http://www.colesracingphotos.com/Cars

2 members like this post: Jimmydiesel, SUPERDUKE
2/25/10, 8:53 PM   #8
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
duke,

i wasn't there as i was born in '77. But i thought you might like these shots:http://www.colesracingphotos.com/cars
everybody that thinks wide tires are better take a look at this cars with 8" wide tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim2 View Post
duke, i think maybe your thinking about winchester and salem with the black surfaces. But, i remember a little dust and smoke coming of those double diamonds.
give me some of what you been smoking!

2/25/10, 9:59 PM   #9

I know this isn't USAC or IMCA, but I've got a bit of a story to tell. My Dad raced a sprint car at the weekly shows at Warsaw, IN and Kokomo all through the 60's, 70's and 80's. And one of his favorite stories is one I witnessed and even though I was very young, I witnessed it and unlike a lot of racing stories you hear from different people, he tells it like I remember it, so I believe it to be true. Now for you that know my dad, you know you can insult his family and kick his dog, but don't you dare try to cheat him out of a dollar! I think that is why this story is a favorite of his and how I know it so well.
One night late in the '69 season at Warsaw Speedway, the track was very hard and slick, even more then it normally was. Dad had bought a new right rear tire ($50, and probably the last one he ever bought). He was having a good night and was running fifth in the feature. Dad being Dad, he knew what every position paid and fifth paid $50, but sixth paid only $25. A guy by the name of Barnhart (sp?) in a big blue car was running sixth and was all over Dad. Dad had a nailhead Buick in his car and was smoking that right rear trying to hold on to fifth. I was up in the stands cheering like a maniac both because it was cool that Dad was smoking the tires and he was trading positions with Barnhart every other lap.
Dad ended up holding him off and finished fifth. After the races, I went down in the pits expecting Dad to be just as excited as I was. Much to my surprise, he had a dejected look on his face. When I asked him why, he told me that he burned up that right rear tire holding on to fifth. But he stated, "At least we made enough money to pay for it."
After we got loaded up, we went up the hill to get paid. Dad went in and was in there a long time. After what seemed like forever (probably ten minutes, but remember I was seven), I went looking for him. I walked in the ticket both where they went to get paid and my dad, the promotor and the county sherrif were all standing there and all there faces were real red. I asked what was gonig on and my dad ordered me back to the truck.
After a little longer, dad came out, still red faced and we left. He told me on the way home that they scored him wrong and he was scored sixth instead of fifth!

Forty years later, he still tells that story and he still gets red faced!

By the way, for those of you that are interested, Jim Elliot (Tony's dad) won that night in Paul Hazen's 57.

Tom Paterson

2/26/10, 9:06 AM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Dizz wilson running his cars in imca would used a one set of front rib tire all year! And would buy a new set of rear tires knobs for st.paul! Just ask johnny rutherford jim mcelreath buzz rose~!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac & imca dirt track racing 50 60 70s