IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Quarter Midget Question?
10/16/07, 8:39 PM   #1
Quarter Midget Question?
Clydesdale

I'm looking into getting a quarter midget for my daughter and wondered what everyone's opinion of what chassis is better and easily available for parts. Also looking at which ones are more safe than others. Any information would be greatly appreciated We are looking at running at the Mini Indy area/ Kokomo possibly.

10/16/07, 9:50 PM   #2
Re: Quarter Midget Question?
Eric C

we spent three years in quartermidgets at mini-Indy, All of the manufactures are good and most all of them have somebody at the track that sells parts.

The most popular chassis are Nervo (N/C), Stanley and Bullrider, we always ran Bullriders and had good success with them. There are several other manufactures out there but those are the most popular from a few years back

I would suggest buying a used car from someone at the club that you are going to be a member at, most will not steer you wrong especially if you are going to be a member of their track.

Try to find a veteran quarter Midget handler who is still going to be around during your first year, If they have a car for sale and you buy from them they will usually help you along they way with set-ups and other support.

I bought all 5 of our cars from the same guy who always bought new each year, he was able to still get good value for one year old cars and I was able to save about a grand on each one from buying new.

Hope this helps,

Eric Cottongim

10/16/07, 10:14 PM   #3
8ball

After spending 8 years in quarter midgets, we found that we had the most success with the Bullrider chassis. They are fairly easy to setup and are friendly to beginners. From what I saw towards the end though, I felt the Storm Chassis (http://www.stormchassis.com/) were the way to go. I had seen a few people switch to them from the Bullriders and be faster from it right off the bat. I think they are a little bit stiffer than the other chassis.

I do agree with Eric though that you don't need to go out and buy a brand new car that has all the bells and whistles. It would be your best bet to find someone who knows what they are doing and try to learn as much as you can. One great thing about quarter midgets is that people are almost always willing to help others out, especially those starting out.

Good luck!

10/16/07, 10:57 PM   #4
Bluteam

I agree with each of these guys. Most of the cars are well built and have great service providers.

Personally, I feel that without a doubt, Fiser's are the finest crafted car - meaning fit, welds, design, appeal, etc. Probably hold a higher value too because of it. You'll be in Nervo territory so to speak at Mini Indy, and their cars are great - especially on pavement. The Bullriders and Storms seem to be very forgiving for errors in setup - a nice feature. There may not be any nicer people than Stanley's.

If I had it to do over again, I would spend several days at the track talking with people with each brand of car. Not someone selling theirs, but someone running the brand. Ask them to describe the features they like about their cars. Each car has a unique advantage over another in regard to working on them or how something works or is assembled - and most people find their preference for chassis manufacturer by that.

Do not let someone tell you to buy an older or bigger car than you need. Small cars work better, are more comfortable for the driver, and sell later without any problems. (small kids enter the sport every day - big kids leave the sport) There is no need to buy new, and as advised above, finding a year or two old car can save you some money - but be sure that bearings and such are in good shape. If everything is straight - thats all that really wears out. Don't buy into a car "that won a championship". It's generally not just the car. We manufactured cars, won our fair share, and sold cars exactly the same as we built for ourselves. Unless of course your kid idolizes another driver - then the mental aspect kicks in and you have an advantage. I've seen that happen more than once. LOL .

Check the results pages - most of the manufacturers have won major events - not any one brand dominates - but they are usually split among regions - ie:popularity at the moment.

Remember most of all - have fun with your kid.

Ted

10/17/07, 7:27 AM   #5
Melmo

Well looks like they pretty well said it all. We ran QM for the last 3 years at Kokomo and Mini Indy and will be there next year. Here are a couple of websites you could look at just go under the classified and you will have many choices. If you have any other questions PM and I'll give you my phone # and maybe I can help. Another thing to remember is that there will be a few changes for next year such as Engine's, Tires and who knows what else they come up with. Also when you get a car make sure they have all the last years updates on them or you will need to buy a few more thing for it.

http://www.quartermidgets.org/index2.asp

http://www.quartermidgets.com/

http://search.ebay.com/quarter-midge...QfnuZ1QQfsopZ1

http://kqmc.org/

http://www.miniindyspeedway.org/

10/17/07, 8:34 AM   #6
rjmoul

Fair warning. Once you start, your life will never be the same again. For us, it has been the most fun I could ever have with my family. Great sport with great people.

I am a board member of the Central Indiana Quarter Midget Association (commonly referred to as Mini Indy). My son has been racing quarter midgets now for three years and it has been a blast. I am also the flagging director and part of the novice committee.

The racing environment is about children and family with drivers developing many positive skills that stay with them throughout life and their racing careers.

For more information about quarter midget racing at Mini Indy, check out www.miniindyspeedway.com.

It just so happens I also have a car for sale. It is an NC Chassis (Nervo) car. I can send you details.

A great way to get started, is to schedule a novice training session with our novice trainer. He is normally at the track every Tuesday evening helping other novices and also to introduce potential novice. During the session he will explain what quarter midget racing is about and also provide your driver an opportunity to drive a club novice car we have. It is also a great opportunity to ask questions. If you are interested in a novice training session, let me know and I can put you contact with our trainer.

Mini Indy is a local club that is part of the national QMA organization. For more information on QMA visit www.quartermidgets.org.

It is a great club with lots of great people. I will send you private message with my email and phone number if you have questions.

Regards,

Bob Moul
home.fuse.net/moulmotorsports

10/17/07, 6:41 PM   #7
sprntr

[QUOTE=rjmoul;14602]Fair warning. Once you start, your life will never be the same again. For us, it has been the most fun I could ever have with my family. Great sport with great people.

This is the same way we feel about the years that we spent Kart racing with our sons. We would have tried QM's except that the Minnesota QM group runs pavement & the Dirt Kart track where my buddy's kids raced Dirt Speedway Karts is 35 miles closer to home.
But you are absolutely right. This will be one of the best family activities that you will ever experience. At least until your family moves up to a Sprint Car!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Quarter Midget Question?