IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > NSSN Ceases Publication
3/22/11, 8:20 PM   #11
Re: NSSN Ceases Publication
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I've been reading it since sometime in the 50s. For a while, I got both NSSN and Illustrated Speedway News, but then the latter died. In recent years, I've subscribed to NSSN and Area Auto Racing News. Until recently, I never thought it would be NSSN that would die. Who would have believed that Chris would outlive the paper?

1 member likes this post: billwill7
3/22/11, 8:21 PM   #12
sprntr

Aw, CRAP! Now where will I get the lastest news???

3/22/11, 8:32 PM   #13
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
When you think about it, when was the last time you saw the paper for sale at the track? I can say that I have NEVER seen it for sale at any of the Texas tracks that I have been to in the last 20 or so years. Very few of the racers that we have down here even subscribe. Most that I speak with don't (or didn't) know about it or even cared. Very sad, indeed.
It's not just the Speed Sport that has disappeared from tracks. You used to see kids hawking racing papers at the track; when is the last time you saw that? I can remember when my dad would give me a few bucks to walk around to the front stretch at Godfrey Speedway to buy the latest issue of Hawkeye Racing News.

And it's not just racing papers that have become an endangered species at the hands of the internet. How many tracks still put out a yearly souvenier program?

This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's just progress.

3/22/11, 9:18 PM   #14
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

3/22/11, 9:23 PM   #15
leftturnonly

Race Count This Year: 15
Race Count Last Year: 12

I have been a subscriber since 62 and thoroughly enjoyed every issue. I feel much like I did the day I received the last issue of Speed Age which I had saved very issue until my new wife gave them to a school paper drive. And this subject has been discussed many times over the past 49 years.

3/22/11, 9:30 PM   #16
RichH

What a sad day. While a student at THE Ohio State University in the early 60s, I couldn't wait until Thursday when NSSN arrived. Then I'd close the door and read it cover to cover, with Editors Notebook first.

3/22/11, 10:18 PM   #17
SprintManDave

It is shocking and sad to me,after being a subscriber for 30+ years,I never expected to see this day. Good luck to Chris and Corrine,and thanks for all the best in racing news.

3/22/11, 10:41 PM   #18
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I've taken NSSN since mid 1968 and (much to Earlene's chagrin) I still have every copy. I will definitely miss it, even though I noticed that I was a less fervent reader in recent years. I still eagerly awaited the delivery of each issue. If it didn't arrive on Thursday, I would get antsy. Service had been pretty good lately, although my March 9th issue arrived with about two inches ripped off the top of the first four pages. I will miss those little aggravations!

3/22/11, 11:24 PM   #19
Gregg

As a grade schooler you couldn't get me to read a book, but I would read NSSN front page to rear. I hate to see it go.

3/22/11, 11:32 PM   #20
KOP

Curious to know what issue #1 would go for now!!!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > NSSN Ceases Publication