IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015
9/23/14, 4:52 PM   #71
Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueball View Post
I've tried to stay to stay out of this, but I just don't have the ability. I am a huge supporter of Bloomington Speedway and hope this class works out for all involved. With that being said, I just don't understand the pros of this new endeavor. Its no secret that all tracks are seeing lower car counts and spectator counts than in years past. Is this due to a shortage of non wing sprintcars in the Midwest? I would say no and would venture to say that there are more cars sitting on stands in a shop than racing on a typical Indiana Friday night. Will this new 305 idea draw these cars out of hiding? Only time will tell. My fear is that the same people that swear "if I could afford an engine I'd be out here" will still be spectating and not racing. I have mini-sprint people tell me this weekly, and my response is always the same. You can run a non-wing 410 in Indiana for the same money as your pumping into your mini-sprint. I feel the current non-wing setup is your most economical and easiest formula to police that is currently out there. For a new guy, he can buy a turn key operation for around 20 grand that is capable of racing and winning. I realize that 20 grand isn't pocket change, but you better have that in your 305 spec motor if you plan on winning races while dragging a wing around. When you start limiting horsepower, things get expensive. My final question, will the paying public come in droves to witness the sheer awesomeness of an underpowered lead sled lumber around the red clay? Only time will tell.

Danny
Danny, I too have tried to stay out of it, if Bloomington thinks it's a good think, let them do it, it's their dollars, not someone's who doesn't own or drive a race car, I guess they think it will be a paying proposition for them, I hope it is, and I don't see it driving off the 410's either, so we'll just all cool down, and wait and see. TQ's have finally got their payoff's up to somewhat close to what it should be, and don't seem to be having any trouble booking races, just wish I could attend more, my car hasn't been on a track a lot in the past 2-3 years, and my trusty diesel dually needs a good romp now and then, but it is what it is, we all have good ideas, till it comes to writing the cks! Bob

9/23/14, 5:21 PM   #72
RacerX14

Been reading all the post on the 305. I have good 410 spec tired spend $$$$ Ready for a change I thank it will take time an I know a all of other people tired spend. Let stop look at bad and and give it chance. I know change is hard buy it has to start some where. Thank Bloomington speedway taking change.

Mickey smith

4 members like this post: dusty tracks, Josh Kinser, PIT CART, red70racer
9/23/14, 11:06 PM   #73
racing2a

I agree with Mickey. I have a good car and no motor...this sounds like a great class.. 410 teams will have a place to sell there used parts and tires. I am in if at all possible

9/23/14, 11:24 PM   #74
racing2a

this evening I spoke with a person the runs entire series across the country. He said that we can run the cars wing or non wing depending on what the track promoterwould like to do. I would hope that we would run without the wing and maybe add some special wing showsI believe this would be a great class for Clay County Florida Illinois Speedway and maybe even Chandler Speedway in Evansville.just my thoughts.

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
9/24/14, 7:18 AM   #75
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
I've tried to stay to stay out of this, but I just don't have the ability. I am a huge supporter of Bloomington Speedway and hope this class works out for all involved. With that being said, I just don't understand the pros of this new endeavor. Its no secret that all tracks are seeing lower car counts and spectator counts than in years past. Is this due to a shortage of non wing sprintcars in the Midwest? I would say no and would venture to say that there are more cars sitting on stands in a shop than racing on a typical Indiana Friday night. Will this new 305 idea draw these cars out of hiding? Only time will tell. My fear is that the same people that swear "if I could afford an engine I'd be out here" will still be spectating and not racing. I have mini-sprint people tell me this weekly, and my response is always the same. You can run a non-wing 410 in Indiana for the same money as your pumping into your mini-sprint. I feel the current non-wing setup is your most economical and easiest formula to police that is currently out there. For a new guy, he can buy a turn key operation for around 20 grand that is capable of racing and winning. I realize that 20 grand isn't pocket change, but you better have that in your 305 spec motor if you plan on winning races while dragging a wing around. When you start limiting horsepower, things get expensive. My final question, will the paying public come in droves to witness the sheer awesomeness of an underpowered lead sled lumber around the red clay? Only time will tell.

As for the adding the class, I agree with it being a good new idea as for drawing cars out of hiding, and maybe bringing new owners out of the woodwork to build a car.

And who knows... Maybe the deep pocket 410 guys build one just because. Then you get a big name driver to 'moonlight' and do double duty one night. So last season, the kid who watched in awe as his favorite driver lapped Bloomington, is now on track with HIM in his own class...

What this shows is Bloomington trying new things and changing things in an environment that has been unchanged. This is the first step in growing the sport and trying something new to draw in new folks to the back gate, and possibly new folks to the front gate. Gotta stay on top of things and be willing to take a chance.

Einstein said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
9/24/14, 7:56 AM   #76
98arpy

Wilmot Speedway in Wisconsin has just started an entry level sprint car division utilizing the GM 604 crate engine.
The engines run around 6 grand and with a 4 bbl carb on alcohol they put out about 450 horse.
Rebuilds are infrequent and teching is much simpler that the 305 program.

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
9/24/14, 11:23 AM   #77
Slider20

I just think they should be non-wing. I get the whole safety aspect, and a lot of people feel safer with the big wing on top. BUT like others have mentioned, I think it would be a lot easier on the smaller 305 when it doesn't have to "drag" the wing. I assume the wing was just for safety, appeal, something new. However, if this is supposed to be a feeder class for the 410's, why not run them without the wing? Or at least add a couple non-wing races to the agenda. In general, I think this is a great idea, gets more guys a shot at getting on the track Friday night, and gives younger guys a shot at getting in a full size sprint.

5 members like this post: bowbuild, jim goerge, Mattmac05, mc/rider, SWScaleChassis
9/24/14, 11:38 AM   #78
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98arpy View Post
Wilmot Speedway in Wisconsin has just started an entry level sprint car division utilizing the GM 604 crate engine.
The engines run around 6 grand and with a 4 bbl carb on alcohol they put out about 450 horse.
Rebuilds are infrequent and teching is much simpler that the 305 program.
Wilmot class is going to be nonwinged! So the winged cars run Bloomington and nonwinged cars run Wilmot, go figure that out! LOL

1 member likes this post: Slider20
9/24/14, 1:33 PM   #79
KMS2683

This class will be running in California next season, primarily at Hanford and Tulare. There has been a lot of interest. So far that interest has come from people who are not currently in the sport and some looking at a better transition from mini sprints. Talking with these people here is what I have learned:

Some have been fans of sprint cars but did not want to invest in a 360 or 410 due to cost. However, that cost was more about fixing bent parts more than the cost of car or engines. Many did not want to immediately hop into a 360 or 410 knowing they may tear up alot of equipment because they would be racing against veteran drivers\teams.

They either do not like mini sprints or did not want to get a mini sprint only to have to sell everything to move to a sprint car. A 305 offers the ability to transition to a 360 or 410 by changing engines.

Sprint cars really are the only division that doesn't have an affordable entry class. Because of this do you think it is smart to expect an entry level driver to just hop into a 360 or 410. I know as a car owner that worries me.

2 members like this post: Great Scott, SWScaleChassis
9/24/14, 1:57 PM   #80
Koonzee

MOWA is allready replacing some former non-wing events.( Gold Crown) This sounds like a nice feeder system for them. Welcome to Indiana. Maybe MOWA will replace non-wing racing at Indiana Midget Week. Hope Iam wrong

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grimes87
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015