IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
11/24/07, 4:59 PM   #31
Re: Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
dfish

Buckley obviously knew that his blog post was going to be read, debated and discussed when he wrote it, just as myself and every other poster on this site knows their posts will be. So, I am not surprised in the least that people have stepped forward to disagree or agree with my statements about Turkey Night and Tim Clauson.

I guess the reason I agreed so whole-heartedly with Buckley and added my own two cents was because I am sick of the current state of sprint car and midget racing. I am sick of NASCAR money in the sport. I am sick of rich kids with rich fathers using the dirt as a mere stepping stone. I am sick of watching 15-year-old boys and girls drive machines that have been killing grown men for over 50 years. I am sick of the sprint car pit area looking like a summer camp/fashion show/trend contest. I am sick of people who know very little about the culture act like they're grizzled veterans.

Why do I keep watching, even though all this pisses me off so much? Because, like most of you, I am addicted and have been since birth. And Mills is right -- this board is like an alternate universe sometimes, but we know that when we log on. Rest assured, though, what I've just typed is nothing I'd be afraid to put into words, to anyone. That's how strongly I feel about it and how sick of it all I am.

11/24/07, 5:18 PM   #32
chadsniffsmethanol

sprint/midget racing...its a love/hate relationship...nothing has ever created such a feeling in me, watching the way these machines flirt with the edge of disaster lap after lap...i think we all know this feeling and thats why arguments break out, finally gettin blown out of context...

chad, who dreams of those 70's nights of sleeping in barns at the nationals .

11/24/07, 5:30 PM   #33
Pat O'Connor Fan

Over a period of about 30 years, I have made three trips to California to attend Turkey Night races: one each at Ascot, Bakersfield, and Ventura. Loved all three!
I enjoy an occasional pavement race, but I certainly would not go to Irwindale or any other California paved track for Turkey Night events.** The distance itself would not deter me, as I've made the trip to Phoenix for the "real" Copper World races quite a few times. But to compare that event and track to the Irwindale event is clearly akin to comparing apples vs lemons.

** unless the lottery or an inheritence would suddenly supplement my two monthly retirement checks :emote20:

11/24/07, 7:08 PM   #34
NEDAPSH

We can argue this to death but it still comes down to tradition for me. This was the biggest midget race of the year. That was until they put it on the pavement. This race was even bigger than the chili bowl at one time. Now only a few can compete against Steve Lewis money the rest is history. All you need to do is look at the past results since it has become a pavement race. When it was on the dirt only Ron Shuman was able to win more than his share but you also had 150 other cars that had the potental to run up front or win and not with a 35,000 dollar plus motor. This is a west coast race and needs to be put back on the 1/2 mile. My vote would be for Manzanita Speedway. Maybe under new ownership they might be able to make it happen. JMO

11/24/07, 7:53 PM   #35
VanillaGorilla

Yea what Mills said.

11/24/07, 11:28 PM   #36
Joey Woods

[QUOTE=Eagle14;18915] Kinda like when you send someone off to college, you want to see them achieve, but you still want to hold on to the kill switch.... just in case they stray. :headbang::censor:

11/25/07, 12:08 AM   #37
Kirk Spridgeon

There would also be guys sitting on the sidelines if it was a dirt race...?

Oh yeah, who are the rich kids with rich dads using dirt as a stepping stone? Nearly every successful young driver I've met is NOT of the "filthy rich" variety, and almost every one of them comes from a racing family, of some sort.

I'm tired of people being jealous of those with money. What message board can I visit to ***** about that?

11/25/07, 12:13 AM   #38
Joe Kidd

Some kids get to watch alot of the races because they have rich dads.

11/25/07, 12:27 AM   #39
Kirk Spridgeon

Hahaha!
I've yet to meet one, Joe, but I'll believe you! :emote20:

11/25/07, 12:37 AM   #40
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

My rich Dad is Master/Card and Visa..:rolling:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter