IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)
5/5/14, 5:37 PM   #11
Re: Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)
jcjohnston

"They lost me years ago when they tossed out the turbos and brought in the stock blocks"

They lost me when they went to franchise owners and "run what you brung" turned into spec cars and spec engines. If was always interesting to see what owners and drivers from different parts of the country would show up with. That was just a few years after the plane went down. Of course that was a long, long time ago.

4 members like this post: Mud Packer, PAW, RetiredShoe, speed bump
5/5/14, 6:56 PM   #12
JarrettFarms73

I couldn't agree more that I desire a stronger connection to us local fans and it's drivers. However as a fan of motorsports, 68 lead changes among 14 drivers, 19 cars on the lead lap and a few more < 3 laps down all while setting records for fewest cautions, most consecutive green laps (131) and still not using an abhorrent "lucky dog" rule seems pretty exciting.

4 members like this post: dirt330, RetiredShoe, Russ, throb
5/5/14, 7:08 PM   #13
Action Tracker

I hope it works; I get the idea of ramping up interest early in the month. However, I've been a race fan in this area for almost 50 yrs. and really don't know many people who like road racing. What worries me is that a track like Kentucky can't make an Indy go just 2 hrs. from home.

5/5/14, 7:36 PM   #14
JarrettFarms73

I hear ya AT. My best friend and I
attended almost every pole and bump day through the 90's. We were there when Penske waited til the 11th hour to get a car from Rahal and STILL couldn't make the show. The place was in a frenzy. It was magical!

I can't help but wonder if they need a legit, Good vs. Evil, talented driver rivalry. We're so drawn to drama these days and there's not a true rivalry I can think of. I'll refer back to cheering against Penske. LOL

5/5/14, 7:49 PM   #15
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Q: What do they call a driver in IndyCar that races ovals only?

A: Almost retired.
I think they call him Ed Carpenter

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: Bostonian, fish, FishBurger, ronmil
5/5/14, 8:40 PM   #16
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

There are several 1 mile dirt tracks around this great country.Rework the suspension and aero packages on a couple test cars and see what happens

1 member likes this post: johnnythunderhead
5/5/14, 9:59 PM   #17
RetiredShoe

There is no doubt that the racing at Indy and the other ovals is great. Even the road course racing has been improved with the new car, but it's still road course racing. I can't help but feel like the thing we are missing is drivers to pull for. We never had a problem with foreign drivers coming over and testing their mettle against our best. Of course, at that time our best was good enough to send them packing as much as they beat us. I know we have talented drivers running the short tracks that we all frequent, but they have been lacking the funding and the experience that it takes to get a car owner to take notice. Clauson skipped the road to Indy and proved himself worthy. I believe that when the new Indy Lights car hits the track next year it will repair the disconnect between the lower series and the top tier. Hopefully that will entice some of our young American talents to try and climb the ladder. With the current aim of Indycar that's what it is going to take, because they aren't interested in lending a hand to the boys we care about.

2 members like this post: johnnythunderhead, speed bump
5/5/14, 10:37 PM   #18
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Put engines back in front of the driver, then Americans will have a chance.

2 members like this post: Fast132b, Xflagman
5/6/14, 4:10 AM   #19
johnnythunderhead
Banned

must admit I lost all interest in indy years ago (with the end of irl) and haven't seen anything come along with the intention of perking my interest again and seriously doubt I ever will

5/6/14, 5:42 AM   #20
miledirt

Personally, my hope is in a revamped, renewed Champ Car / Silver Crown division. Big one day events, hot laps, qualifying, the 100 miler.... car counts back to the 40's where a semi feature to make the race.

I would love to see our best young and old(er) USAC guys have a chance to race at Indy again, but it just isn't going to happen. If that can't happen, what I'd love to see happen is the best from Kokomo, Haubstadt, powri, the Burg, Put, and the USAC sprint car series go at it at the Hoosier Hundred, DuQuoin, and Springfield.

1 member likes this post: PAW
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)