IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Butch Wilkerson story
6/5/08, 11:27 PM   #1
A Butch Wilkerson story
aceace

Some of you older guys will remember him well. Butch was a good driver always a favorite to win or at least a top 5. Butch and my Dad were pretty good friends.

One night in the late 80's they were having an All-Star Circuit of Champions race at Paragon Speedway and I went. I went to the booth to say Hi to Keith Ford. My Dad drove for him a few times. Butch was the flagman at the time. Keith tells me that the guy who was suppose to be on the flag stand with Butch couldn't make it and he wanted a second person up there because it was a big race, ask me if I would get up there with him and watch for wrecks and generally help Butch out. Something I had never done before but didn't sound real complicated. I watch one end of the track and Butch watches the other end. If something happens on my end I nudge him he throws the caution. Sounded like a new experience, why not. Keith gives me my admission fee back a pair of goggles and told me I could have what ever I wanted to eat.

Things go pretty smooth all night till the feature, had a couple cars get upside down early. On a normal night the feature was 20 laps (at that time) this night was 40. At the 18 lap mark Butch picks up the White flag. I'm thinking ***, I yell at the top of my lungs "Butch its 40 laps" he gives me a dumb look... he throws the caution. Starts talking on his headset, they inform him its 40 laps. Over the PA system they say the caution was for debris on the track. ( I was laughing, knowing the truth) We finish all 40 laps of the feature. After the race, Butch and I just look at each other and laugh.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, wallbanger II
6/5/08, 11:42 PM   #2
Re: A Butch Wilkerson story
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
Some of you older guys will remember him well. Butch was a good driver always a favorite to win or at least a top 5. Butch and my Dad were pretty good friends.

One night in the late 80's they were having an All-Star Circuit of Champions race at Paragon Speedway and I went. I went to the booth to say Hi to Keith Ford. My Dad drove for him a few times. Butch was the flagman at the time. Keith tells me that the guy who was suppose to be on the flag stand with Butch couldn't make it and he wanted a second person up there because it was a big race, ask me if I would get up there with him and watch for wrecks and generally help Butch out. Something I had never done before but didn't sound real complicated. I watch one end of the track and Butch watches the other end. If something happens on my end I nudge him he throws the caution. Sounded like a new experience, why not. Keith gives me my admission fee back a pair of goggles and told me I could have what ever I wanted to eat.

Things go pretty smooth all night till the feature, had a couple cars get upside down early. On a normal night the feature was 20 laps (at that time) this night was 40. At the 18 lap mark Butch picks up the White flag. I'm thinking ***, I yell at the top of my lungs "Butch its 40 laps" he gives me a dumb look... he throws the caution. Starts talking on his headset, they inform him its 40 laps. Over the PA system they say the caution was for debris on the track. ( I was laughing, knowing the truth) We finish all 40 laps of the feature. After the race, Butch and I just look at each other and laugh.
And this wasn't even a NASCAR race! :rolling

6/5/08, 11:44 PM   #3
1BIGracefan

I rode with Butch for over three years to and from race tracks. He was the flagman at Lawrenceburg. At this time I really enjoyed spending time with him. The only thing I didnt realize was how good a racecar driver he was. He got hurt when I was little so I never saw him run.

6/5/08, 11:48 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGracefan View Post
I rode with Butch for over three years to and from race tracks. He was the flagman at Lawrenceburg. At this time I really enjoyed spending time with him. The only thing I didnt realize was how good a racecar driver he was. He got hurt when I was little so I never saw him run.
Butch was always exciting to watch and very friendly. He was always accessible to the fans back in the days when they let the fans go into the infield during intermission at Haubstadt.
I was at Winchester when he crashed in Sherman Armstrong's car. I believe it was in 1979.

6/6/08, 12:06 AM   #5
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Butch was always exciting to watch and very friendly. He was always accessible to the fans back in the days when they let the fans go into the infield during intermission at Haubstadt.
I was at Winchester when he crashed in Sherman Armstrong's car. I believe it was in 1979.
I remember Butch showing me a scar on his forehead where he had stitches from that crash at Winchester. He told me he was in a coma for over a month (maybe longer) and that it had completely healed before he came too.

1BIGracefan... I see your from Bedford as I am also. Is Butch still around? Hard to keep up with all of the guys from the past. I checked out your website, didn't have time to explore it right now. I see you have a Indiana Stoneworks advertisement. Do you help Brady Short any? Nice to see him making a name for himself.

6/6/08, 9:55 AM   #6
usa1bowtie

I talked to Butch at this years Chili Bowl. He's a great story teller and was a helluva racer.

6/6/08, 10:11 AM   #7
nonwing

I grew up watching Butch race and he was a great driver. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved while he raced against Dick Gains and those guys, much like Mike Johnson. There is one, Mike Johnson, who should be in the HARF hall of fame. He won a ton of races and did a great job when he and his wife, Sue owned Paragon.

I guess later Butch became an auctioneer for a time, which I can imagine suited him well, given his personality.

George Wilkins

2 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge
6/6/08, 11:06 AM   #8
Seadog

Butch usually shows at the Little 500 every year. He gave the invocation at this year's race.

6/6/08, 11:27 AM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

If he's able, He'll be at the Gaines Classic.

Grew up watching him, Millburn, Gilstrap, Krebs and of course Gaines. Butch took it one further and would drive anything sometimes all three classes of the evening and he quickly became a fan favorite.

I also remember him flagging the burg for a year or two before Tom took over.

Many, many great memories. Thanks for the story of a behind the sceenes moment that nobody was non the wiser for.

Chuck

6/6/08, 1:09 PM   #10
turn4fan

Always loved to watch Butch. One of my favorites.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Butch Wilkerson story