IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos
11/19/09, 3:41 PM   #81
Re: Gold Crown car Spy Photos
quicktime3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
In all seriousness, I understand the frustration with the current USAC pavement silver crown series. I too grew up watching them and loving them. I wish they had 70 cars entered again, like what we used to see at the copper classic.

Here's the problem. Even BEFORE the new gen silver crown car was first introduced, the silver crown pavement cars were in trouble. Tracks were being lost (as they still are now) because fewer tracks want to pay for them. The old style car can't run 1.5+ mile tracks, so the new gen car was invented. USAC screwed the pooch by not ADDING these cars to their arsonal, instead they REPLACED the old style cars with them. Bad move.

There are plenty of old style pavement cars out there. I would love to see the series built up bigger and better than ever. Please explain to me how it's going to get bigger and better if no tracks want to book them AND old tracks are dropping them? It's a hell of a situation.

Enter the Gold Crown cars again.
1) They are designed for 1.5+ mile tracks. In other words, not a threat to the silver crown cars because they run different circuits.
2) USAC is no longer involved.
3) NASCAR is no longer involved.
4) Road course experience to whomever wants it.
5) I attended several new gen races and the crowds were decent, sometimes BIG. Don't believe EVERYTHING Robin Miller tells you. He shows a clip from Thursday afternoon at Homestead with nobody there, and suddenly that's a normal crowd. He's a dick to put it bluntly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the USAC silver crown pavement series has been in trouble long before the new gen car came along. If you can't understand that, then there's not much anyone can say to you.
Happy trails,
David.
Good stuff. I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but I still have trouble with a few things...

How is getting races going to be any easier for this new series? If we're having trouble with the old cars, I can't see how the Gold Crown cars will be any easier. NASCAR is kicking USAC out of Phoenix and is not helping them out at Richmond. Why would it be any different for these cars, which they have already said they like less than the old Crown cars? If their tracks are not willing to pay a Silver Crown purse, why would they want to pay a higher purse for a series they don't even like? And they didn't like them before, which is why the series was shelved, and everyone is saying there is still no interest in them...

I am hearing that USAC is pretty confident they have new races coming for the Silver Crown cars. No, they're not the level of Phoenix and Richmond (which I'd heard was still a possibility), but they're races on competitive, good-sized tracks. Let's hope the payout isn't bottom of the barrel!!

Getting "big track" experience has never really been something that has held anyone back from going to NASCAR. Heck, Roush signed Ricky Stenhouse, who had VERY little pavement experience. As far as "road course" experience, I'm afraid this will basically be a joke among the road-racing contingent. And originally, wasn't this series supposed to be just a better series for USAC racers to have the ability to make more money? What do Darland, Coons, Hines, Levi, Kuhn, etc. need to get "big track" and "road course" experience for? I'm pretty sure if young rich kids want that kind of experience, they're going to throw their money into a different series, not one with strange new cars and a group of more inexperienced drivers...

I really think this could have been a great thing, but the people involved originally really missed the mark. Now, there's just not enough time and money to go around. Unfortunately, I see this taking away from USAC and being a distraction from their product, which is what we should be trying to push. Times are extremely tough right now, and it would be great to see this kind of effort and enthusiasm put into getting more and better-paying races for the three major series...

11/19/09, 4:52 PM   #82
D.O.

Lot of posters with great ideas and thoughts about something they don't have a dime invested with for the most part.

Will the Gold Crown series work?? Bruce Ashmore owns it and thinks so and it's his ballz and money on the line.

Is there a need for this type of series? Bruce thinks so and USAC and NASCAR did at one time as well. Bruce's idea for this series isn't your normal show up and race and go home. He understands marketing and will address that after he gets the new version car finished and body kits made for the other 22 cars out there.

Putnam Park isn't everybodys cup of tea but it's a place that drivers can race and get road course laps. Ovals will be the main tracks for the series. There are a lot of rich daddys that will use this series to get jr the experence he needs to be a racer, safely. That's why the nose and the side pods are the way they are.

The start of this post was pictures of a car that everybody hated and gave input into the redesign of the body work. IOW is the only place the new car pix are on at the moment.

It's sad to see all the pissin' and moanin about something that a person has chosen to do on his own. Look at where Bruce Ashmore came from and it's not the dirt tracks but world class racing like F-1, CART, IRL, World Sports cars and more. But then again as everybody can see here on IOW somebody can post the sun is out and somebody will piss on his parade.

Give this time until he gets some cars refitted and annouces info about what the series will be and where. It's not as dark of a future as many are painting. If it's not your cup of tea don't drink it a host another beverage of your choice.

Once this car gets painted I think a lot of people will start to like the new look of the car. I'd like to see one painted like Ole Calhoun #98.

D.O.

ps NASCAR teams are involved with this with engines and other stuff. So that dog isn't dead and neither is the horse.

Last edited by D.O.; 11/19/09 at 5:16 PM.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Ovalmeister
11/19/09, 4:59 PM   #83
Ovalmeister

[QUOTE=quicktime3;146122]Good stuff. I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but I still have trouble with a few things...

[B]Thanks, there is alot to be enthused about.[/B]

How is getting races going to be any easier for this new series? If we're having trouble with the old cars, I can't see how the Gold Crown cars will be any easier. NASCAR is kicking USAC out of Phoenix and is not helping them out at Richmond. Why would it be any different for these cars, which they have already said they like less than the old Crown cars? If their tracks are not willing to pay a Silver Crown purse, why would they want to pay a higher purse for a series they don't even like? And they didn't like them before, which is why the series was shelved, and everyone is saying there is still no interest in them...

[B]Remember, I'm nothing more than an interested observer. It is certainly not my place to blab the hard work of several key people involved. They will come forth with the info when they deem it appropriate. I can say I'm very excited, and was initially surprised, at the amount of interest this deal is generating. (not to mention who is interested in it).[/B]

I am hearing that USAC is pretty confident they have new races coming for the Silver Crown cars. No, they're not the level of Phoenix and Richmond (which I'd heard was still a possibility), but they're races on competitive, good-sized tracks. Let's hope the payout isn't bottom of the barrel!!

[B]I love the Silver Crown cars, as I stated before. I absolutely hope they can rebuild as big as ever. I'd love to help! Midgets and Silver Crowns have always been my first love. Anyone who knows me knows that.[/B]

Getting "big track" experience has never really been something that has held anyone back from going to NASCAR. Heck, Roush signed Ricky Stenhouse, who had VERY little pavement experience. As far as "road course" experience, I'm afraid this will basically be a joke among the road-racing contingent. And originally, wasn't this series supposed to be just a better series for USAC racers to have the ability to make more money? What do Darland, Coons, Hines, Levi, Kuhn, etc. need to get "big track" and "road course" experience for? I'm pretty sure if young rich kids want that kind of experience, they're going to throw their money into a different series, not one with strange new cars and a group of more inexperienced drivers...

[B]Gold Crown doesn't necessarily have to be viewed as a feeder series. Although it can be used as such in my humble opinion. It really will be a unique series all on it's own. If someone excels and gets the attention of a big time car owner, all the better.[/B]

I really think this could have been a great thing, but the people involved originally really missed the mark. Now, there's just not enough time and money to go around. Unfortunately, I see this taking away from USAC and being a distraction from their product, which is what we should be trying to push. Times are extremely tough right now, and it would be great to see this kind of effort and enthusiasm put into getting more and better-paying races for the three major series...[/QUOTE]

[B]You would think so huh? So why don't we?
David. (just a fan).[/
B]

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Sorry about the wierd format to the above post, I don't understand how that "multi-quote" option works, LOL.
David.

11/19/09, 5:48 PM   #84
Lucky161

[QUOTE=Ovalmeister;146133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktime3 View Post
Good stuff. I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but I still have trouble with a few things...

[B]Thanks, there is alot to be enthused about.[/B]

[B]Remember, I'm nothing more than an interested observer. It is certainly not my place to blab the hard work of several key people involved. They will come forth with the info when they deem it appropriate. I can say I'm very excited, and was initially surprised, at the amount of interest this deal is generating. (not to mention who is interested in it).[/B]

[B]I love the Silver Crown cars, as I stated before. I absolutely hope they can rebuild as big as ever. I'd love to help! Midgets and Silver Crowns have always been my first love. Anyone who knows me knows that.[/B]

[B]Gold Crown doesn't necessarily have to be viewed as a feeder series. Although it can be used as such in my humble opinion. It really will be a unique series all on it's own. If someone excels and gets the attention of a big time car owner, all the better.[/B]

I really think this could have been a great thing, but the people involved originally really missed the mark. Now, there's just not enough time and money to go around. Unfortunately, I see this taking away from USAC and being a distraction from their product, which is what we should be trying to push. Times are extremely tough right now, and it would be great to see this kind of effort and enthusiasm put into getting more and better-paying races for the three major series...[/QUOTE]

[B]You would think so huh? So why don't we?
David. (just a fan).[/
B]

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Sorry about the wierd format to the above post, I don't understand how that "multi-quote" option works, LOL.
David.
Like you, I'm an interested observer. And I don't have a dime invested as DO pointed out. I said earlier that I sincerely hope this series makes it. I badly want to see open wheeled cars running at TMS again like the early IRL did. That means with enough cars on the track to make it interesting.

But I don't really think the complaints are uncalled for. If your wife or girlfriend asks you what you think of her new hairdo, you probably better say something positive no matter what you really think. However if a celeb gets a wild new hairdo, none of us are obligated to give compliments for the sake of keeping the peace. And for those that do have a dime invested or are seriously thinking of doing so, do you really want a bunch of koolaid drinkers telling you how smart you are? Wouldn't it be far better to test the waters and find out what's wrong with your plan, so you can either fix it or abandon it before it's too late?

Part of the problem is transparency or rather the lack of it. In 6 pages there have only been a couple of post that even mention cost and they aren't much more than estimates at best. Why not put it out there for all to see? You mention that you are excited about who is involved and that there are nascar folks involved. Ok, who are they? Is Tony Stewart involved? This sounds like it would be right up his alley and if he is involved, saying so would increase the credibility of the series tremendously. What tracks are going to be on the schedule? I don't know about the rest of you, but I had never even heard of Putnamville until this thread started. Yet this seemed to be an important part of the press release. Does anyone have any doubts that these cars or almost any other kind of car COULD be ran on a road course if the participants so desired? Seems to me the important issue is how they will do on tracks bigger than a mile, but nothing was said about that. What tracks are anticipated and what kind of purses are expected? Can he explain why this car cost so much more than the existing SC car and if he can, why hasn't he done so? Wait until he gets some bodies made for the other 22 cars? There are companies that specialize in bodies. They sometimes have new models available before the new car hits the showroom. Those are not hand made aluminum bodies. They are not CF bodies. So what's the hold up?

And I don't know that attracting the attention of a big time owner is all that good a thing. Would we really like it if Penske took a liking to this series? I'd rather see a BUNCH of smaller time owners than a couple of big time owners.

And there the other questions about what's in this for Bruce Ashmore? Certainly there is nothing wrong with him trying to make money off of this or any other enterprise he chooses. But it seems like both nascar and USAC have given this the thumbs down. And while we sometimes trash both of them for decisions they make, they do have a little bit of experience in promoting races. If neither of them want to be associated with this project, why does he think it will work? It was mentioned that he understands marketing. We know he's an engineer by training and experience and a successful one at that. But what qualifies him in the marketing arena?

1 member likes this post: GregD
11/19/09, 8:34 PM   #85
Beer Goggles

Pablo Danoso, where are you when we need you !

11/19/09, 8:48 PM   #86
D.O.

The bodies are being made by 5 star in wisc.

Like I said PM me your questions for Monday night when he is on the show and he will answer them.

Earnhardt Ganassi is one of the NASCAR teams working with him.

The nose will also feature an oval shape for a ford, Dodge shape and Toyota shape. The first car will have a Bowtie nose.

11/19/09, 10:46 PM   #87
Sprint63122

If this helps out with the open wheel drivers to get some better pay and afford to race full time and helps the owners with better starting pay that is one step forward.Maybe one day we will be able to watch them both at the same oval, gateway would a nice one to start with both gold crown and silver crown racing one day event together hell I would pay $40 general admission to watch it 100 lap double features.

11/20/09, 12:16 AM   #88
sc96

As D.O mentioned very few people that post on hear have money invested in this deal.As most know by now I have alot invested in this deal and I also own a SilverCrown car. I see where the SC series is headed as far as pavement goes and it is not good USAC is taking their top tier div and making it a also ran div. If your top series is in trouble you throw everything in the kitchen at it no matter the cost but USAC would rather put there efforts into .25 midgets and off road trucks. The GoldCrown series has 100% of the car owners support and 150% of the guy who owns it support. USAC cant even come close to those numbers if they did we would have 50 Silvercrown cars at every race. Bruce has every car owners support and I have alot of confidence in his ability to put us on top. I truly hope USAC can get the SilverCrown cars into venues they deserve to be in but time will tell.

1 member likes this post: Sprint63122
11/20/09, 9:58 AM   #89
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

This thread is like two sides beating their heads against the same wall. Like it, support it, then go. Don't like it, don't support it, don't go. Not that hard people. I don't understand how you ***** about more racing. None of your dimes are in it so what do you care if somebody's trying to make something of it? This same thread comes up about every 3 months.

2 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, mtek56
11/20/09, 10:50 AM   #90
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
The bodies are being made by 5 star in wisc.

Like I said PM me your questions for Monday night when he is on the show and he will answer them.

Earnhardt Ganassi is one of the NASCAR teams working with him.

The nose will also feature an oval shape for a ford, Dodge shape and Toyota shape. The first car will have a Bowtie nose.
The following questions have been sent to your box. Thank you.

QUESTIONS FOR BRUCE ASHMORE

1. How much do these cars cost?
2. Where can one buy a car?
3. Can the plans be obtained so that someone can build their own car?
4. What tracks will they race on and are any of those tracks signed?
5. What are the anticipated purses and how is it funded?
6. How many cars are there? Does this number include the previous
generation of Gold Crown cars? If not, why not?
7. What do you consider a full field of cars?
8. Since manufacturer logos are being put in the grills, does that mean
the manufacturers are supporting this series?
9. What is the level of support from the manufacturers?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos