IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Will a full Containment seat help prevent bodily injuries?
YES a FC seat will help prevent bodily injuries 63 94.03%
NO a FC seat will not help prevent bodily injuries 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate
7/13/13, 2:18 PM   #71
cbaumeyer48

I agree with each response.... Always a possible negative with each positive.... When I get this installed on the Triple x midget, I would be happy to post a pic of the opening with me sticking out.....heck I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs.... Most drivers are much smaller than my amazon butt! Lol.

Wishing a safe race nite to everyone!!

Posted via Mobile Device

7/13/13, 6:48 PM   #72
PatrickMead#13

Just an idea but isn't a stock car window net pretty close to the top cage opening? Has anyone thought of installing one on the top with 2 quick releases so the driver could release it to get out. I know is not going to stop everything possible but its better than nothing at all.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/13/13, 6:54 PM   #73
Re: Full Containment Seat Mandate
smcpherson

They make those nets for the top of quarter midgets

Posted via Mobile Device

7/13/13, 8:00 PM   #74
cbaumeyer48

I thought about doing that too! Anything to improve on the techno safety of open wheel racing is good....these improvements start with conversations like this.... And a few getting together to produce something.... Then getting series directors to implement it.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
7/14/13, 4:29 AM   #75
wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
Gentlemen .... Some of you may recall another driver we just lost in Bloomington IN just weeks before Jason......Josh Burton. Some of those who witnessed this accident stated his head injuries came from items entering thru the top Halo. Here is an item I have recently seen installed on a car at Tri State Speedway. I'm not naming any names, but I know his father is a huge safety advocate. I personally am having this installed on my new Triple X we are putting together. I believe this would be another step in the right direction towards making our sport a little safer! JMO

Posted via Mobile Device
A halo such as this not only helps prevent stay wheels and like in an accident but it also gives the driver more clearance if the car were to roll and land on the track upside down.

There have been many drivers that have been seriously hurt here in Australia over the years landing like that and having the cage sink onto the track with end result the drivers helmet hitting the track.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/14/13, 2:48 PM   #76
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
I thought about doing that too! Anything to improve on the techno safety of open wheel racing is good....these improvements start with conversations like this.... And a few getting together to produce something.... Then getting series directors to implement it.

Posted via Mobile Device
If it's a safety issue/device that doesn't break the rules and doesn't interfere with the integrity of the sport, why wait for the "series directors" to implement it? Put it on the car and race!

7/14/13, 2:51 PM   #77
Bruce7K

Containment seats allow the rest of the safety equipment to do the job they were intended. Roll bars, helmets, seat belts, etc are useless if the driver can move/stretch far enough that these items are no longer offering the protection they were designed for.

This is an argument I've been making for years as opposed to the mandating of head and neck restraints, which have never been proven (or even been tested) to be effective in an upright seated position or in a sprint car. Those devices exist to prevent one injury, and one injury only, a basilar skull fracture, something extremely uncommon in sprint cars (I can find 2 in the past 25 years). Yet the talk is of the magic bubble these things provide because they work in NASCAR or Indycar.

I feel containment seats are the greatest safety advance in the past 30 years. I find it beyond silly to see a driver wearing a head and neck restraint device while buckled into a car with a flimsy seat, no window nets or head containment and their helmet even with the top of the roll cage. They are truly missing the intent of safety at that point.

Kudos to understanding exactly what is causing injury and death and working towards lessening the chances.

7/15/13, 9:55 AM   #78
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce7K View Post

This is an argument I've been making for years as opposed to the mandating of head and neck restraints, which have never been proven (or even been tested) to be effective in an upright seated position or in a sprint car. Those devices exist to prevent one injury, and one injury only, a basilar skull fracture, something extremely uncommon in sprint cars (I can find 2 in the past 25 years). Yet the talk is of the magic bubble these things provide because they work in NASCAR or Indycar.

I feel containment seats are the greatest safety advance in the past 30 years. I find it beyond silly to see a driver wearing a head and neck restraint device while buckled into a car with a flimsy seat, no window nets or head containment and their helmet even with the top of the roll cage. They are truly missing the intent of safety at that point.

Kudos to understanding exactly what is causing injury and death and working towards lessening the chances.
B7K THIS IS EXACTLY my thinking...I do feel you need to have one and will never mandate a hans device. the are for 1 specify type of injury only...(Frontal Impact) which causes a BSF. Some will say that is stupid but in 40 years of racing and ALL the research I have down this past year I have yet to find this type of injuries sustained in Midget or sprint car race....

remember to we are a Midget/Lightning sprint and Micro sprint series and are not racing on EXTREMELY fast race tracks. I am much more concerned of flips, side over side and the head OUTSIDE the cage. I really like the HALO, if it is installed correctly.

AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS INPUT.......It is greatly appreciated....Wayne Davis

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/15/13, 11:22 AM   #79
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Again my opinion only, I like the halo on top.

7/15/13, 12:21 PM   #80
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungthrottlepodcast View Post
Again my opinion only, I like the halo on top.
I still feel like it is a good deal, putting a net on top, would be about as efficient as a screen door on a submarine, with sissy bars on the sides, which I know alot of the younger drivers don't want, the top, in a typical sprint/midget crash, is about the most/largest and most vulnerable part of the chassis, maybe the seat does provide more protection than I see, I've had front wheels on my shoulders, but the sissy bars kept them from doing any harm, and I'll guarantee you, any time you're in close combat with another car, when you get a chance to look things over, 8 out of 10 times you'll find tire marks somewhere you would not expect them to be. I'm not sold on the Hans device either, especially when worn without a helmet/neck support, and loose tethers, kinda like "fools gold", and maybe too late. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate