IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midget Engines - Here We Go
4/11/16, 11:57 AM   #61
Re: D2 Midget Engines - Here We Go
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill May View Post
Dad, "Dang" If I had the foresight, I should have registered copyrights to the D2 title when I first posted "D2 Midgets" on here a couple years ago, I could put a stop to all this bickering, or cause it to be called something else. oh well, just another one of my brilliant thoughts gone awry.

Bill May

Bill wish you would have "copyrighted" the name also. They need a "Benevolent Dictator" to step in grab the bull by the horns and take charge. Something about rules by committee that just don't work.

I still remember those smoke filled Motel conference rooms with the "Buckeye Mini Sprint Group" and racers arguing about how Electronic Injection was going to ruin Mini Sprint racing because of the extreme expense involved. YEP

We also have had some pretty good discussions back in the day haven't we Wayne Davis. I took on the moniker "Honest Dad himself" and you were the only person that ever picked up on it.

Honest Dad himself

PS. Wayne Davis I should say that I also apply that title to you. You have been on one heck of a roller coaster ride the last couple of years but you have always managed to keep your eyes on the Horizon and have sat tall in the Saddle.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
4/11/16, 12:17 PM   #62
LJC77

Only one small correction to your post Mr. Davis.
Laverne's Illini Series did allow chain drives, always had.
We just rarely had any show up.
Buddy damn near spanked our asses up at the Prairie few years back.

Illini Series was truly the most affordable way to race a midget period.
Best part about that series was no matter what was under the hood (national, stock block, chain drive, Kenyon car) you could race competitively.
There are only 2 series I know of that is keeping this spirit alive; Stars, and Mr. Tinder's group.

This whole thread has been entertainment to say the least but the only ones that have a legitimate argument are the guys who have been sidelined by the limited engine packages. Badgers is at least a lil more open than D2s, but still parked a handful of cars.

12k-18k does sounds more reasonable than a national engine package, but for those of us "less fortunate" guys, the most affordable package is the one that we already have.

Lamont Critchett
'07 Illini Series Champion

2 members like this post: DAD, jdull99
4/11/16, 12:40 PM   #63
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
Only one small correction to your post Mr. Davis.
Laverne's Illini Series did allow chain drives, always had.
We just rarely had any show up.
Buddy damn near spanked our asses up at the Prairie few years back.

Illini Series was truly the most affordable way to race a midget period.
Best part about that series was no matter what was under the hood (national, stock block, chain drive, Kenyon car) you could race competitively.
There are only 2 series I know of that is keeping this spirit alive; Stars, and Mr. Tinder's group.

This whole thread has been entertainment to say the least but the only ones that have a legitimate argument are the guys who have been sidelined by the limited engine packages. Badgers is at least a lil more open than D2s, but still parked a handful of cars.

12k-18k does sounds more reasonable than a national engine package, but for those of us "less fortunate" guys, the most affordable package is the one that we already have.

Lamont Critchett
'07 Illini Series Champion
I for one, still think this needs to be resolved, before too many/any midget racing wanabes are routed on the wrong track, which seems to be happening, I think the D2 moniker needs to be removed, from what I think a lot of people want, including me, and no, Jason, if nominated I will not run, and if elected, I will not serve, but I would like to have my input considered, if not, if it's too simple, then I'll go away, no problem, I'd just like to see more rational input, and common sense applied, other than has been so far, surely there can be some logic applied, and consideration by some! Bob

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/11/16, 5:53 PM   #64
Jonr

Quote:
...........12k-18k does sounds more reasonable than a national engine package, but for those of us "less fortunate" guys, the most affordable package is the one that we already have........
I have a love/hate relationship with this quote. I love the fact that people are invested in a midget program and that they want their program to continue. I hate the fact that people are limited in their thinking into what they have in their garage. The solution should be the best package in the long term. The solution should be built with the idea of what can we do to get some of the Modified and street stock guys to upgrade to a midget. Not what will keep xxxxxx group happy. Regardless of which group xxxxxx belongs too.

4/11/16, 9:38 PM   #65
LJC77

The simple fact is some of us low life's can not afford to rebuild a new package from the ground up.
That's the only point to that statement.
Trust me, if I had the $ I would invest in a package that seems to be the future, but I'm a broke ass chump with a lil driving talent and no $.
The "junkyard" $500 motor sounds great, until you realize it take about another 4-5k to get it to the track.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/12/16, 2:07 AM   #66
jdull99

Quote:
The simple fact is some of us low life's can not afford to rebuild a new package from the ground up.
That's the only point to that statement.
Trust me, if I had the $ I would invest in a package that seems to be the future, but I'm a broke ass chump with a lil driving talent and no $.
The "junkyard" $500 motor sounds great, until you realize it take about another 4-5k to get it to the track.
Words outa my mouth above here! Another nomination for czar of all things to do with "OEM" racing engines!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/12/16, 11:28 PM   #67
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Bill wish you would have "copyrighted" the name also. They need a "Benevolent Dictator" to step in grab the bull by the horns and take charge. Something about rules by committee that just don't work.

I still remember those smoke filled Motel conference rooms with the "Buckeye Mini Sprint Group" and racers arguing about how Electronic Injection was going to ruin Mini Sprint racing because of the extreme expense involved. YEP

We also have had some pretty good discussions back in the day haven't we Wayne Davis. I took on the moniker "Honest Dad himself" and you were the only person that ever picked up on it.

Honest Dad himself

PS. Wayne Davis I should say that I also apply that title to you. You have been on one heck of a roller coaster ride the last couple of years but you have always managed to keep your eyes on the Horizon and have sat tall in the Saddle.
"Benevolent Dictator" - I like that one! lol. My efforts to nominate anyone in charge of it all on here, seems to be about as difficult as it has been for the GOP the last few months...lol.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

10/22/17, 3:32 PM   #68
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAY3 View Post
From the POWRi D2 Rule Book:
Fuel Injection: “Any programmable ignition/fuel injection systems are allowed, but must be readily available and have supported software. No carburetors.”

**** “Any programmable ignition/fuel injection systems are allowed” ****

Check this out!

Product
MoTeC M800 ECU

SKU:
M 820

- 4MB Logging Upgrade
- Single Lambda

$6,323.00 (USD)

Are you guys SURE you want to require all "stock" internal parts and then allow $6000 engine management systems? That's just for the ECU, it doesn't include the injection unit!

A claim rule on the longblock won't keep out all the $6000+ (each) "Bolt-Ons"

Oh but remember... "NO Carburetors!"

I'm willing to bet, by the time you take all the parts allowed by the D2 rules, use a perfectly legal $6000 ECU, and add them to a $2000 longblock, you could have bought that engine that's being blamed for "escalating" the cost of D2 midget engines.
Just because something is available and expensive doesn't mean its better... JMO

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midget Engines - Here We Go