IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar
12/17/12, 11:22 PM   #61
Re: Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar
Kellen Conover

Well, I think we can all agree that USAC will most likely not allow this engine platform anytime soon, but there is the perfect opportunity to build this engine and run it at Montepelier, as Brian is very much for the budget minded racer. Someone should build one and start running there, and once you get some on track testing with it I wouldn't be surprised if you could talk POWRi into running it at one of there non points races like DuQuoin the other night. It takes little steps, after all Rome wasn't built in a day, but what do I know...
I really find the Stanton deal interesting as there are several W-9's out there that could possibly be upgraded to this package, including the one in my garage.

Kellen Conover

1 member likes this post: fish
12/17/12, 11:34 PM   #62
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17racer View Post
So what happens to the $8500 mopar W-9's??? cant beat the top motors any more? need inches? Not long ago.... Gaertes suffered the same fate... and now some clubs are allowing them inches to get back to being competative at a bargain cost. Sure is cheaper than 18 to 20K for a fresh Esslinger or Fontana. Anyone know what the going rate is for a fresh Toyota??? and certainly less than $34k for a new Mopar. Wheres it end??
I didn't see the $8500.00 deal on Stanton's web site, That would be a super deal, the parts cost more than that.

Honest Dad himself

12/17/12, 11:40 PM   #63
LRP36

6 wins over the last two years for us with 2 coming from our W9 and 4 from our RP Mopars against Some of the best Esslinger and fontanas in the country. So I wouldn't quite call an older mopar inadequate! And anyone thinking there W9 or RP block is compatible, try again. Stanton is using the same block that he put the hemisphere head on.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/17/12, 11:52 PM   #64
17racer

The reference to an $8500 W-9 was a wild assed guess what a used one is worth... not the upgrade cost to change it over. Maybe in PowerI they are still viable, not so much in USAC National and certainly not of bigger tracks. Shorter tracks like PowerI runs, I can see it.
The point is at what point... does it become... not viable.. Is USAC not allowing their main sponsor Mopar to have the new motor be legal??? that would be a big if then.

12/18/12, 10:43 AM   #65
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17racer View Post
The reference to an $8500 W-9 was a wild assed guess what a used one is worth... not the upgrade cost to change it over. Maybe in PowerI they are still viable, not so much in USAC National and certainly not of bigger tracks. Shorter tracks like PowerI runs, I can see it.
The point is at what point... does it become... not viable.. Is USAC not allowing their main sponsor Mopar to have the new motor be legal??? that would be a big if then.

I just can't understand it? WHY is POWERi doing so well in non open wheel states with car count and front gate sales, when USAC racing is doing so poorly in the real open wheel territory of Indiana and nationally? Must be something in the water?

Honest Dad himself

12/18/12, 1:02 PM   #66
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
After only seeing the pictures, I see a major problem with this motor. It's going to get a lot of dirt in the cam lol

****this is sarcasm for those of you who get bent out of shape*****

Dear Mr. Hoosierdaddy

This letter is in regard to you question about dirt ingestion into the new S 11 racing engine. It is rumored that Messr. Stanton and Company are experimenting with a new type pressure oiling system that will allow them to make a cover for the valve components and greatly reduce the amount of dirt ingested into the engine during a racing event.

This is seen as a major advancement in Midget Auto racing. Of course it will negate the need for the ridding mechanics to properly lubricate the above mentioned parts, and we will miss those daring souls hanging out over the engine with their oil cans in hand lubricating these parts.

Times being what they are it might be hard for them to find suitable employment. But we all must learn to make adjustments for the advancement of the auto racing industry. We shall miss these brave souls and wish them well in the future. Perhaps they might find employ in the circus industry as acrobats or something?

If you have any further concerns about the new S 11 feel free to ask them here on "IOW".

Sincerely yours:
Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/18/12 at 1:03 PM.

12/18/12, 7:47 PM   #67
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I just can't understand it? WHY is POWERi doing so well in non open wheel states with car count and front gate sales, when USAC racing is doing so poorly in the real open wheel territory of Indiana and nationally? Must be something in the water?

Honest Dad himself
Having raced with both organizations I can tell you the difference in car counts is how each organization is run and how they treat the drivers/race teams.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, dirtball, koolaid89, mowerman, TWO FIVE
12/21/12, 11:21 AM   #68
DAD

Just A Thought

Harold and Brian up at Montpelier Speedway are about the most "FORWARD THINKING" people in Midget racing today.

They allow both midgets and motorcycle powered midgets to race together at the same time and have found out that it can and does work.

It would be neat if they added one more rule to their already very long rule book for the midgets (Tongue in cheek).

1. Any 4 cycle engine with stock block and head configuration and stock bore and stroke shall be allowed the maximum displacement of 3000 cc's. For those older folks out there that is 183 cubic inches.

That could take us back to the days of the do it yourself racer and open up midgets to research and development "Back Yard Style".

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/21/12 at 11:40 AM.

1 member likes this post: gearguy
12/21/12, 4:41 PM   #69
sprintracer82

Why limit them to 4cycles? I have always wanted to build a car with a snowmobile engine in it.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/21/12, 5:05 PM   #70
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
Why limit them to 4cycles? I have always wanted to build a car with a snowmobile engine in it.

Posted via Mobile Device
OK but only if you promise to run it on Castor oil.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stanton Overhead Cam Mopar