IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
11/1/13, 12:31 PM   #61
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
Bradleyracing86

Our cars don't use "wings" per say they are more of a spoiler, our wings on our cars never reach the critical angle of attack that causes a stall effect. They are simply adding downforce or weight to the wheels, however unlike a heavy car the weight is increased linearly with speed.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/1/13, 1:09 PM   #62
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Our cars don't use "wings" per say they are more of a spoiler, our wings on our cars never reach the critical angle of attack that causes a stall effect. They are simply adding downforce or weight to the wheels, however unlike a heavy car the weight is increased linearly with speed.

I had a long talk with Mr. Tipton the T in TP Wings many years ago. It seems to me he said, they used some kinda of air foil design out of the books and it had a name. He said that it could indeed be winged over so far that it would became a big old air brake instead of an air foil and the WOO cars were right at that point.

Maybe if Mr Pauley the P in TP Wings finds this post he could enlighten us a little.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/1/13 at 1:23 PM.

11/1/13, 1:28 PM   #63
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I have been watching this post for sometime...Ideas some good some bad....Racing Series or Association or Club is a "BAD" idea in my opinion as dad says you need 1...and he is "GOD ALMIGHTY" the buck stops there..he or she is THE MAN (yes some women has "BALLS")...
Met with Andy Bradley Monday night here in Jacksonville and went over many many things as far as a "NATIONAL" set of rules and being we are still in full swing with our racing season down here I gave him my Proxey to take to this meeting...

Not only do we need NATIONAL rules we need a NATIONAL name....600's...oh that is the Micro sidewinder (few like Florida) call'm Mini Sprints....1000/1200/mini sprint/midget lite/litre midget/lighting sprint/division 2 midget/modified midget....what the hell is it...right there is 7...

Now Dad, myself and others have been over this many times....Cali. calls themselves Lightning Sprints...Quebec has Lightning Sprints and a few others but what is "A LIGHTNING SPRINT?" I can see this if you run wings only but other then a few they run some non wing. So my question what is the commend denominator? 13" wheels (midget) chassis (converted midget) power plant (motorcycle or 2.4 less 4 cly) wings (sprint car)...any newer car you buy form 2009 or later is the same size as a midget...90% of the componets are midget, wheels tires midget, so again what "ARE" we really racing?

Weight...now that is a good one...the only weight I have "EVER" seen come off was from a taxi cab stock car and most likly it was just thrown in there...Don't give me this crap how bolted on weight is unsafe cause it is "BULLSH*T"...as Billy Brickley said add a 3/8ths to 1/2 inch plate to the floor plan...almost 50lbs there...instead of a alum. motor plate make it steel...if you still need weight MANDATE it where it needs to be placed and ubolt (2) min per 20 lbs around frame rail infront of motor plate. It is WAY WAY easier and "CHEAPER" to bolt on weight then start allowing titatium bolts and such...I get it it penilizes the 125 pound kid that is just coming thru our sport to go other places but this 225/250 pound old racer that can't afford other avenues or more up is stuck...so who do you want to take care of ...a kid that might be here 2-3 years tops or and older "FAT" guy that ill show up ever week "IF" he is competive....

I will touch back later....gotta go work on the racer for this weekend.....gonna be 84 on race day....

Oh yea the ONLY BAD IDEA is the one you keep to youself...we as promotors needs your input and this is why I love IOW so much....always a good discussion....rather you signed exactly who you are and what series or organizion you race with...Wayne Davis Division II Midgets

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/1/13, 1:51 PM   #64
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
I have been watching this post for sometime...Ideas some good some bad....Racing Series or Association or Club is a "BAD" idea in my opinion as dad says you need 1...and he is "GOD ALMIGHTY" the buck stops there..he or she is THE MAN (yes some women has "BALLS")...
Met with Andy Bradley Monday night here in Jacksonville and went over many many things as far as a "NATIONAL" set of rules and being we are still in full swing with our racing season down here I gave him my Proxey to take to this meeting...

Not only do we need NATIONAL rules we need a NATIONAL name....600's...oh that is the Micro sidewinder (few like Florida) call'm Mini Sprints....1000/1200/mini sprint/midget lite/litre midget/lighting sprint/division 2 midget/modified midget....what the hell is it...right there is 7...

Now Dad, myself and others have been over this many times....Cali. calls themselves Lightning Sprints...Quebec has Lightning Sprints and a few others but what is "A LIGHTNING SPRINT?" I can see this if you run wings only but other then a few they run some non wing. So my question what is the commend denominator? 13" wheels (midget) chassis (converted midget) power plant (motorcycle or 2.4 less 4 cly) wings (sprint car)...any newer car you buy form 2009 or later is the same size as a midget...90% of the componets are midget, wheels tires midget, so again what "ARE" we really racing?

Weight...now that is a good one...the only weight I have "EVER" seen come off was from a taxi cab stock car and most likly it was just thrown in there...Don't give me this crap how bolted on weight is unsafe cause it is "BULLSH*T"...as Billy Brickley said add a 3/8ths to 1/2 inch plate to the floor plan...almost 50lbs there...instead of a alum. motor plate make it steel...if you still need weight MANDATE it where it needs to be placed and ubolt (2) min per 20 lbs around frame rail infront of motor plate. It is WAY WAY easier and "CHEAPER" to bolt on weight then start allowing titatium bolts and such...I get it it penilizes the 125 pound kid that is just coming thru our sport to go other places but this 225/250 pound old racer that can't afford other avenues or more up is stuck...so who do you want to take care of ...a kid that might be here 2-3 years tops or and older "FAT" guy that ill show up ever week "IF" he is competive....

I will touch back later....gotta go work on the racer for this weekend.....gonna be 84 on race day....

Oh yea the ONLY BAD IDEA is the one you keep to youself...we as promotors needs your input and this is why I love IOW so much....always a good discussion....rather you signed exactly who you are and what series or organizion you race with...Wayne Davis Division II Midgets

Thanks Wayne Davis aka PaPa Outlaw

We have been down this road before and I suspect like deja vu we will go down it many more times.

These things are the neatest things since sliced bread. At one time Wayne and I were at about the same place as Phil and Mark and I are at now.

We need a national rule. That is great. We need some one to listen to all of us and then step forward and say. I have the money behind me, to sponsor these things and this is the way it is going to be to race with me.

When and if this happens they will meet opposition and some people will resist.

I love "competition" !!!! If you do indeed have your finger on the pulse of the racers, and you can prove to them your series is the best the racers will follow. Other splinter groups will still be there like A mods are to U.M.P. modifieds. That is still OK you are the pace setter and others will follow you. WHEN you fail to satisfy the racers goals there should always be another group willing to take over your place as leader. That is how we improve. Running a race series is just like racing we all want to be the winner but only the ones that put forth the effort and stay on top of things will be the ones to succeed.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/1/13 at 1:53 PM.

11/1/13, 2:18 PM   #65
DAD

good reading http://slidejobracing.com/content/view/58/1/

also http://600microsprint.webs.com/

Chuck Kidwell lives somewhere by you guys. Chuck has built several mini sprints and has invested a lot in the growth of small car racing. Might want to talk to him.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/1/13 at 2:24 PM.

11/1/13, 2:24 PM   #66
slide22

Don't even begin to start on how bolt-on weight is "safe." Nearly destroyed a frame in 2010 hitting a 50lb chunk of lead improperly mounted to a new car.

11/1/13, 2:29 PM   #67
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide22 View Post
Don't even begin to start on how bolt-on weight is "safe." Nearly destroyed a frame in 2010 hitting a 50lb chunk of lead improperly mounted to a new car.

You know you can heat that stuff up in a skillet and pour it right in your seat pan. I kinda of like the steel motor plate idea. Cheaper and efficient.

Honest Dad himself

11/1/13, 2:42 PM   #68
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide22 View Post

What was the word you just used..."IMPROPERLY"....did you go and inspect these cars or did your organization inpect these cars? We have everyone DECLARE weight bolted on and is inspected to be at the right place, double nuted with thru u bolts...if not you are DQed...must be painted WHITE with your # written on it.....an you "NEARLY" destoryed a frame....what is nearly?.....again you (everyone of you) as a racer should make sure that the organization see's that SAFTEY is done

Was it 50 lbs of lead? Or maybe more like 20....50 lbs of lead is a Chevy DEEP rocker arm cover full...so I ask ya was it that big? and whos was it cause sure with 50ls missing he was DQed at weight in

11/1/13, 2:45 PM   #69
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
good reading http://slidejobracing.com/content/view/58/1/

also http://600microsprint.webs.com/

Chuck Kidwell lives somewhere by you guys. Chuck has built several mini sprints and has invested a lot in the growth of small car racing. Might want to talk to him.

Honest Dad himself
Chuck is at our track ever week....doing a set of shocks for now

11/1/13, 2:56 PM   #70
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Chuck is at our track ever week....doing a set of shocks for now
He is a very smart guy. I tried to buy one of his baby sidewinder cars once up at Madison In. He had me talked into it but it crapped out just before my kid could take it for test drive. AJ Felker's dad Billy then got us hooked up with the 600cc uprights. We got addicted good, and It has been down hill ever since then.

If I lost 50 pounds of lead I would want it back that stuff ain't as cheap as steel.

I guess when one grows old they move down to Florida, and get away from that mid west snow stuff. I would guess Chuck is in his 60's by now.

GET HIM WORKING FOR YOU!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/1/13 at 3:03 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting