IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details
4/4/16, 11:42 PM   #51
dustbowl

I'm not complaining that we got to race. I'm okay with how it worked out. Problem is, it's this way more often than it isn't. I'm sorry. You get that much rain and cold temps, and it shouldn't be dead slick hot laps. You shouldn't burn off tires HEAT racing. It wouldn't have mattered if they would have reworked the track. It doesn't matter if it's 40 degrees or 100 anymore it's all the same. I've Been to plenty of 100 degree tracks and been treated to nice surfaces. Stop making excuses. Everyone in this country wants to make all kinds of excuses; you either get it done, or you don't. Stop all the participation trophies. Sprinkling water won't fix it. Turn the track up or buy new dirt. It's a lot different racing than being a fan in the stands. People wouldn't be complaining if this wasn't a trend. It's been this way more often than not for well over two years. Sure you get some nights.There's a lot of potential at the burg. Fantastic facility and there's been many nights where the surface has been terrific. Sadly that fantastic Surface shows itself on a couple months basis. It will lay rubber with 20 cars on a local show more often than it will be decent over the last year.
Last edited by dustbowl; 4/4/16 at 11:51 PM.

4/5/16, 3:18 AM   #52
flagboy55

I wasn't there and for once I'm glad work got in the way. Reading this post there are legit statements made on all sides. After reading them, imo it comes down to weather. I'm absolutely sure that if everyone wasn't freezing their ass off, there would be a lot less negative comments, and they probably would have done some work on the track. At least in my case, freezing wind chills take the fun out of being outside, work or play. As much as I want the season to begin, I almost accept postponement as a better option. Which has got me worried about the forecast for this weekend. Was planning on going both days to midget races but forecast lows for both nights are below freezing. Don't have another weekend off till May, gonna be a tough decision

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, motorhead748, PIT CART
4/5/16, 7:07 AM   #53
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Qualifying saw top five cracked several times late into the session.

The heats were epic, Me and another poster looked at each other several times in awe. From Tmez monster two for one slider and battle with Cottle to win. To Leary dogging Stockon attempting a last corner slider and still only coming up a car short. To Boespflug putting on a masterful pass on the silent gasser on the final lap for his win.

A lot goes on we don't see. There were people already leaving due to the cold before the feature started. Who made the call not to rework? USAC or the track? IDK Its Rudy's fault anyway!! Its his fault the optional hard tire wasn't allowed. Its all his fault. I don't know why some promoters keep going? Im just glad they do. I was on the fence about the negativity hurting tracks. Not anymore. Glad I got out of the house for what was for the most part. A awesome show with a difficult second half of the feature.

As for the four ski rule, Guess you didn't notice he's the only one that was going to the four corner rule that after listening to racers changed back to three open.

As for the "If it was a winged show my viewed be different post"
I wouldn't have been there to start with, and they give three tire choices but you must start the feature on the tire you qualified on..

Have fun at the races, Its obvious some of ya can't and like to take pot shots at those who do. Im sure everyone has a after the fact opinion. I just shared my before the fact opinion and get heckled for it.

I point out negatives when they're obvious but try to do it in a constructive way. I think hupp shared his that way and not a bash, But except for the straights I rarely have seen the track locked down into one groove and can count on one hand the nights it was huggy pole features vs the old track being that way every night. Here's my after the fact statement, Should a track rework have been done prior to feature. YES!

If you have facebook. Here's a link to Tmez heat win. If that don't make your hair stand on end. Your not human. Catch the whole show at Loudpedal tv.
https://www.facebook.com/braden.rous...8/?pnref=story
When you say old track I hope you don't mean the old 1/4 mile. I wouldn't say it never took rubber but it never did any night I was there and that was quite a few nites. And it for sure didn't grind off 2,3,4 or 6 tires per nite. Give me the old track any day 10-1 over what's there now.

3 members like this post: Hotrod, tirespinner, treecitytornado
4/5/16, 8:22 AM   #54
Re: USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
When you say old track I hope you don't mean the old 1/4 mile. I wouldn't say it never took rubber but it never did any night I was there and that was quite a few nites. And it for sure didn't grind off 2,3,4 or 6 tires per nite. Give me the old track any day 10-1 over what's there now.
So whats the reason we went to some nights with under 500 fans with 35 car fields? It certainly wasn't because it was two groove all night Mel Johnson tacky the last 15 years it existed.

I never missed a race from about 85 to 2014 and caught about seven last year. while it may have ate tires several races, Thats the first I remember massive blow outs due to wear and it started about lap 17

The no rework was most certainly because of the cold and I've also seen the track go mostly all middle or top when it dried out before. I've seen huggy pole maybe three times since it was rebuilt

If you were there you knew how cold it was. How windy? I came home to a condo community where six stop signs are down, every building is missing shingles and some missing some siding and a cracked sliding glass door I've got to eat because a chair on the deck was thrown into it.. So fifteen underwhelming laps of a whole night that was for the most part awesome racing is the least of my problems.

As for he racers, I certainly understand the massive additional cost If you burn up a thousand in tires every night or even every weekend, After 25 weeks the tire bill is more than many weekly racers have in the car. Its no secret though, its in the USAC rule book there is a harder tire option, Which I've learned wasn't really a option unless a team had one already mounted up in the hauler. Still that tire would have made the end of the race.

Should it have been reworked yeah but I think all the fans would have been upset waiting 45 minutes extra, its a lose lose, If it was 70* doing it would have been a no brainer, He messed up, Maybe he should have cancelled in the first place? As others have said, we race more often than not and start on time. I remember last years Sprint Week where it rained off and on all day till about 430, we raced, several shows that it rained at some point in the night and we got it all in.

I for one and am glad they raced, mistakes were made but we have memories from it both good and bad. Six racers that played it smart got decent finishes. DD won for the 24 year straight in USAC National and I got to spend time with family at a race track.

It's not all doom and gloom people. A bad night at the track *Which it wasn't at all for me* is better than a night at home watching the same old same old or a night at work ANY DAY, ANY YEAR.

Have fun.
Chuck

4/5/16, 11:54 AM   #55
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

My sentiments exactly Charles! I agree totally!

1 member likes this post: racegal
4/5/16, 3:07 PM   #56
motorhead748

Quote:
So whats the reason we went to some nights with under 500 fans with 35 car fields? It certainly wasn't because it was two groove all night Mel Johnson tacky the last 15 years it existed.

I never missed a race from about 85 to 2014 and caught about seven last year. while it may have ate tires several races, Thats the first I remember massive blow outs due to wear and it started about lap 17

The no rework was most certainly because of the cold and I've also seen the track go mostly all middle or top when it dried out before. I've seen huggy pole maybe three times since it was rebuilt

If you were there you knew how cold it was. How windy? I came home to a condo community where six stop signs are down, every building is missing shingles and some missing some siding and a cracked sliding glass door I've got to eat because a chair on the deck was thrown into it.. So fifteen underwhelming laps of a whole night that was for the most part awesome racing is the least of my problems.

As for he racers, I certainly understand the massive additional cost If you burn up a thousand in tires every night or even every weekend, After 25 weeks the tire bill is more than many weekly racers have in the car. Its no secret though, its in the USAC rule book there is a harder tire option, Which I've learned wasn't really a option unless a team had one already mounted up in the hauler. Still that tire would have made the end of the race.

Should it have been reworked yeah but I think all the fans would have been upset waiting 45 minutes extra, its a lose lose, If it was 70* doing it would have been a no brainer, He messed up, Maybe he should have cancelled in the first place? As others have said, we race more often than not and start on time. I remember last years Sprint Week where it rained off and on all day till about 430, we raced, several shows that it rained at some point in the night and we got it all in.

I for one and am glad they raced, mistakes were made but we have memories from it both good and bad. Six racers that played it smart got decent finishes. DD won for the 24 year straight in USAC National and I got to spend time with family at a race track.

It's not all doom and gloom people. A bad night at the track *Which it wasn't at all for me* is better than a night at home watching the same old same old or a night at work ANY DAY, ANY YEAR.

Have fun.
Chuck
I'm not exactly sure your attendance figures are accurate or if they are, the current tracks #'s are similar some nites. Either way I'm glad you like the track and enjoy the product they put forth.
But I'd think someone would ask...why do at least 3 local cars choose to run elsewhere? It's certainly a great facility. Part of the reason is it shreds tires, and they don't have to pop to be junk. 2-3 tires a nite for a weekly purse won't last long. I'm done, I no longer have a dog in the fight.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
4/5/16, 5:30 PM   #57
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I'm not exactly sure your attendance figures are accurate or if they are, the current tracks #'s are similar some nites. Either way I'm glad you like the track and enjoy the product they put forth.
But I'd think someone would ask...why do at least 3 local cars choose to run elsewhere? It's certainly a great facility. Part of the reason is it shreds tires, and they don't have to pop to be junk. 2-3 tires a nite for a weekly purse won't last long. I'm done, I no longer have a dog in the fight.

What you don't get is that Im in agreement with you on keeping the track non tire eating.

4/5/16, 11:07 PM   #58
Blacki-Suede

Back in the dark ages I was in the promoter's shoes, and yes times have changed, chemicals banned, larger track, more horse power, etc. And some things haven't changed, rain, wind, cold, complaining, etc. Until you wear those shows, it is hard to understand the dynamics of preparing a dirt track and promoting races. Keep in mind that the alternative to dirt is asphalt!

Blacki Suede

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, fish, motorhead748, scottyCbus, tirespinner
4/6/16, 10:35 AM   #59
motorhead748

Quote:
What you don't get is that Im in agreement with you on keeping the track non tire eating.
myself along with all the knowledgeable fans/racers on this board TOTALLY get not wanting to eat tires. The situation is that race track preparation is like walking a tightrope.... Fall off one side and you have dry, dusty , slick. The other way you potentially get fast with a possibility of ruff or a big cushion, either of which can equal crashed race cars. To the current promotors credit he likely does as well with the tracks current configuration as could be expected. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a bullring snob, easily my best races were on big fast 1/2 miles.
Sprint cars are primarily a niche sport supported by primarily blue collar folk both in the stands & pits. This is not central pa or the upper Midwest where tracks routinely pay $5K to win, guys around here mostly race for $1500, with that your lucky if one guy goes home ahead

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, hbmundy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, Lawrenceburg April 2nd details