IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled
7/21/11, 11:51 AM   #51
Re: Gas City Races Cancelled
downwithallison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallsracing View Post
we are on eastern time..lol

we are on eastern daylight now not eastern standard.

2 members like this post: randy j, Seadog
7/21/11, 12:28 PM   #52
racephoto

Just a few non-racing headlines for the naysayers.

At least 22 deaths blamed on searing temperatures; heat indices hit as high as 120 degrees

Hospitals in Wichita treated 25 heat-related illnesses, according to the National Weather Service.

In Des Moines, Iowa, 16 people have been hospitalized because of this week's high temperatures.

The high heat and humidity have been stressing U.S. crops, particularly corn, which is now in a key growth stage, and endangering livestock.

Up to 1,500 cattle have died in South Dakota because of the heat wave, according to the state's veterinarian, Dustin Oedekoven, and he expects that number to rise.

In Indianapolis, homeowners were being asked to stop watering their lawns through at least Sunday.

BTW: When the Silver Cup concluded near midnght Tuesday, the temp was just above 80 degrees.

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, jim goerge, Vukie
7/21/11, 12:38 PM   #53
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Jackson View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. I say run em and the weak can stay at home. Nobody is making you come to the races. It is a choice we all have. Not now!!
You gonna make up the $ they lose when 1/3 the normal crowd shows up........didnt think so.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, MIKE HEIMEL, openwheelKT, SprintManDave, Vukie
7/21/11, 1:03 PM   #54
Derek Fisher
Banned

I remember towing from Kokomo to Bloomington to race on a Friday with mom and dad and our usual gang -- this was probably '94 or '95. I distinctly recall passing one of those bank signs that gave time and temperature on the way... I forget the time, but I clearly remember reading 96*. After that, I remember dad talking to Tray House, just shooting the **** in the pits like always -- and I don't really recall weather being something that was discussed. They ran that night. It was hot, but they ran.

What's changed? America is the short answer. Now we're coddled and babysat, in the absence of personal accountability and common sense. How did we ever get by without excessive heat warnings? I shudder at the thought...

And before you go flaming, which most of you will, I'm racing this weekend in this hot, soupy stuff. I might wear the two-layer suit instead of the four, and I will no doubt ingest and excrete more fluids, but I'll be there.

Gas City and Bloomington are both well-run places and have good people at the helm, it's just disappointing and not a decision I agree with or support. Sign of the times, I guess.

7/21/11, 1:20 PM   #55
jim goerge

I am in and out of the heat all day long drive and unload drive unload and I will be honest when I get home in the air thats where I stay . I am even drinking gatorade and not beer (dam I must be sick) So even if tracks were running I know they would be short one person in the stands ME. Call me what you want but least I;ll be cool. :2:

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
7/21/11, 1:28 PM   #56
tntbusco

I don't understand why we think we have the right to tell some one how to run
their business. I'm sure if you want to front the money to run for the evening
they would be glad to run if you take the loss. I may or may not agree with their
decision (I do agree) but thats not the point. It is their way of making a living.
BACK OFF and chill out and enjoy something different on Friday.

4 members like this post: Diggsy, fish, jim goerge, Vukie
7/21/11, 1:29 PM   #57
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto View Post
Just a few non-racing headlines for the naysayers.

At least 22 deaths blamed on searing temperatures; heat indices hit as high as 120 degrees

Hospitals in Wichita treated 25 heat-related illnesses, according to the National Weather Service.

In Des Moines, Iowa, 16 people have been hospitalized because of this week's high temperatures.

The high heat and humidity have been stressing U.S. crops, particularly corn, which is now in a key growth stage, and endangering livestock.

Up to 1,500 cattle have died in South Dakota because of the heat wave, according to the state's veterinarian, Dustin Oedekoven, and he expects that number to rise.

In Indianapolis, homeowners were being asked to stop watering their lawns through at least Sunday.

BTW: When the Silver Cup concluded near midnght Tuesday, the temp was just above 80 degrees.
In 1995 there 750 heat-related deaths in Chicago over a period of five days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Chicago_heat_wave

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/21/11, 1:43 PM   #58
Jerry Shaw

Both these tracks have a lot of things that they have to take into consideration. Safety of fans, crew, race teams and drivers, etc. is one. Whether or not the elements will allow them to run a successful show, is another. Believe it or not, these guys are not obligated to lose money just so we can be entertained. They're business people who take a moderate financial risk, under normal conditions. On weeks like this one, when local weather people and health professionals are telling people to stay indoors, that risk increases dramatically. And Mike and Jiggs are both respected in the motor sports community. It's sucks not having a race to go to Friday, but I trust their judgement and will get over not being able to see this one race, on this one day.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5 members like this post: jim goerge, openwheelKT, racefan20, SprintManDave, Vukie
7/21/11, 2:17 PM   #59
duel

Spartan is 40 miles from me and i think they are still on with pavement sprints friday. not as good as dirt but good close racing. should be slightly cooler than Indiana.

7/21/11, 2:28 PM   #60
bullring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
I believe this is purely a business decision... a decision based upon some people will stay home and food sales will be down during the heat. I know this decision is one that alot of folks don't like but I can at least respect the tracks decision to not risk a financial loss.

Remove yourself as a fan or competitor and look at it as if you are the business owner.... Is the risk worth the reward?

Sprint cars don't like going upside down... neither do the promoters.
You are correct Bill. These tracks have to make a profit or they won't be around. Sure some diehards will show up but probably not enough to make a profit. I'd rather a track not run a few nights and still be around than end up like this one.

Due to economics Galesburg Speedway will be closed for the remainder of the 2011 racing season. This season has been a tough road, due to lack of cars and low amount of fans.The track has not been rented, sold or leased. As any more news arises we will keep you informed. We the Warning family are very sorry for this as Galesburg Speedway has become home to all of us. The 14 years have been a great pleasure serving the racing community. We have made many good friends and loyal friends. We did not mean for this to happen, but it is out of our control with the economy the way it is. This should open alot of eyes to get out there and support your local speedways.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled