IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Updates
6/17/10, 8:38 AM   #51
Re: Gas City Updates
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Congrats to Steve and Jon on there wins and it looks like T-Mez didn't have a bad night either

6/17/10, 9:11 AM   #52
SteveD

No bullcarp, just stand on it racin'...the saga continues.

6/17/10, 12:09 PM   #53
FishBurger

Couple of observations from the temporarily renamed (for one night only) Section "A" at Gas 'em up City:

+Heard some early grumbling about black dry slicky following hot laps and qualies. In fairness, I have to say that there was a fairly brisk wind blowing from the time we arrived which, along with a welcome now and then sun shining down (sick of rain), doesn't do a lot for keeping a racing surface moist and tacky. Further, after they shut 'er down for half an hour or so to recondition, I thought the track was great as evidenced by some terrific racing. But, that's just me. Not being a GC regular, I don't know how the track usually is or what the competitors thought.

+I've said it before and will say it again. I'd sure like for someone to put Steve Buckwalter in a sprinter so we could watch him all summer in his midget and in sprints. What easterners have long known....this guy is good....he is very good. Maybe if I hit the Lotto......

+Don't know what happened to BC's ride (#39). FQ, he started sixth, picked them off one by one up to 2nd where with ten or so to go it looked like we might be in for a Buckwalter/Clauson shootout. Looked to me like the car was not picking up fuel in the turns. Maybe something jarred asunder when he caught a buried turn marker tire causing a major jolt. Hung on for sixth. They'll know he's there all week.

+Enjoyed talking with Kyle Robbins and his dad. First time chance for me to do that this season. Urged them to hit The 'Burg, especially for ISW. Even more would be better yet. He had a nice run, making the feature, and grabbing a top ten finish.

+Great time visiting with friends I don't get to see a lot. Wanted to say "howdy" to Dyno Don and Denise but they left way early. Too many classes, someone said, was the reason. After being told the night before by my Willie's Sports Cafe friends that I was "cool for a guy my age" it was deflating to be told by DannyB, Hoover, Bob C. and others that I am "old for a guy my age". I gotta start hanging out at Willie's more.

+Seems to me that you can pretty much just go ahead and cut the check when Jon Stanbrough draws the pole. That's not a dig BTW, it's a compliment. He's just that good. Tough enough to stay ahead of the guy when he starts behind you (as told to me by Billy Puterbaugh at The 'Burg recently). One of the all-time greats on dirt IMO.

+Thanks to Dave Rudisell for the ride up and back and to Bob and Monica C. for letting us squeeze in with them.

+I'll defer now to IOW's silver fingered orator, Jerry Shaw, for a more cogent and complete report. I'll just say that I had a hell of a good time, enjoyed some great racing with some really special friends. I'm glad I went. I may just do this again sometime
Last edited by FishBurger; 6/17/10 at 12:19 PM.

4 members like this post: IndyBound, mtek56, PJ Wright, Ricks Pics
6/17/10, 4:06 PM   #54
RGardner

From what it said on BC's facebook he had a battery problem with about 10 to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/17/10, 5:39 PM   #55
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGardner View Post
From what it said on BC's facebook he had a battery problem with about 10 to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I found that out after my post. Also, TMez was DQ'ed moving BC and everyone else up a spot. DannyB finds out about my inaccurate report and he'll be wanting to revoke my press credentials. Joke's on him..........I don't have any.

6/17/10, 6:32 PM   #56
Wing H8a

Nice one Fish. Short & entertaining. You type well for your age. Hope you write a report on all the Midget week races.

6/17/10, 7:32 PM   #57
speed9

Great run for Brad Kuhn he started 16th and ended up 3rd. Steve drove a great race as did TM cong to both of them.

6/18/10, 9:46 AM   #58
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Mr. FishBurger,

Sorry to say but "Section A" at the Gasser is the far East end of the bleachers. I was hoping to hook up with you and Rudy but RacinBabe and I were shunned again. Apparently we will have to continue to suffer with the likes of Aero, ASQ, Brent T. Funk, Little Rube, etc. Your report pretty much sums it up racing wise.

The Gas City track crew brought the track back to life after the rework. This has become the norm during the regular season for the most part. Jiggs works extemely hard to put on an entertaining show. Hopefully we will be welcomed back in Section A on Saturday night at da Burg?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/18/10, 11:40 AM   #59
racefan20

Fishburger was over with us in Section B(as in BC wink wink). Hey Marv dont forget about me on Saturday, I dont think Rudy has banned me......yet. :2:

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6/18/10, 10:11 PM   #60
Gregg Obst

Way to go Steve. The Royersford Rocket shows he can go west and hang with the big boys. If anybody deserves a good full time Sprint and Midget ride with a USAC team, it is Steve.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Updates