IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe
10/17/07, 8:17 PM   #51
Re: To Kevin Briscoe
1021gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsniffsmethanol View Post
steel block 305 non wing class, i dont understand why this wouldnt explode in indiana...there seems to be plenty of older chassis floating around that would work great for this too...and it would really make sprint car racing pretty accessible for younger guys like me who would love to actually drive a sprint car, and not just wrench on them because we cant afford our own.
about 5 years ago i had 2 sprint rollers and tried to get something going with the 305's or some kind of limited class and i couldnt get a track to try it..and most of the guys who were running sprints already had a ton of money in their motors and didnt want to try it either...i think if someone would run a 305 or limited sprint class you might have alot of cars ...there is so many guys and gals young and old who would love to try sprint car racing..as i found out when i had my cars used cars are really not that bad to get it is the motors that will cost you...the 305's are pretty big up in ohio..i even justed watch one car race ready with a 305 get bought on ebay for $6000 thats $1000 cheaper than my buddy just spend on his 600cc mini sprint..

10/17/07, 9:42 PM   #52
flipalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Soran View Post
There's the problem. I say steel block, and everyone in sprint car racing immediately thinks Bowtie or Dart. "How can I spend more money"? Go ahead and get your Bowtie or Dart. If you run steel blocks, I guarantee some kid who wrenches at the local oil change facility will go to the junk yard and find a block out of an old pick up truck, and he will eventually whip you....or not. But, that's the point. Give a regular guy a little hope. Why else would he get a sprint car? He wouldn't, and they don't. They get modifieds.

Did Opperman EVER run an aluminum block? Kenny Weld? Did the two of them ever have any good races? Have any fun? Did Opperman come from money? Would we have ever seen him run if he were starting out today? Unlikely.
there is a couple of things about running a stock cast block (even with it being prepared)

1. if there is not a cubic inch rule trying to find good 400 blocks are almost gone

2. most of your stock blocks have core shift and the less the core shift the more power you can make ( I have about 8 stock small blocks at home and everyone of them are core shifted)

steel blocks are not a bad idea but if tracks are going to go to them we might as well go to a crate engine and that would be fine with me too.

as for everyone talking about the blue collar guy in my opinion if you want it bad enough you will figure a way out to get it.

10/17/07, 10:17 PM   #53
riskybrisky5

Cecil and Rex you are right there are no shortage of sprint cars at this time. What I have been talking about is the future. In 1986 there was no shortage of sprint cars either it was nothing to see 40 cars at Bloomington on a Fri. night. Then everthing started sky rocketing in price while purse didnt increase then we got down to 14 cars on a fri. night in the early to mid 90s. So the promoters wisely chose to switch to non wing cars because they were more inexpensive to run. They were more inexpensive because you didnt need the killer motor like the wing cars did. So sprint car racing grew back to where it is right now. But unfortunatly we are back to where horsepower is a must, and that costs money. With purses the same I see the same thing coming as the early 90s. Myself I do not want to see it get to that stage of 14 cars. What do we do when that happens? But if we take a look now and start making small changes we might not go through that stage. Motor rules will not work in my opinion. But unhooking the cars will in my opinion. The greatest thing that could happen is that we do not have to change anything and find a way to get more fans in the stands. If more fans then maybe the promoters will be able to pay us more. If you can sell out stadiums to watch monster trucks then we should be able to sell out sprint car shows. Our show is much better. But they promote so much better than we do. You have to make sprint cars a show like they do and you will gradually see things change. Again these are just my opinions and I may be way off. Hopefully I am wrong and sprint car racing will be strong as ever 10 years down the road. Please no hard feelings with anyone for my opinions. I value your opinions as I hope you do mine.

10/17/07, 10:26 PM   #54
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

He's right, Burg when it was winged started 25-40 cars every night. By the early 90s we had a couple shows with 9 cars.

Chuck, who was told by some highly respected person that this would happen before it did. He said I'll give it ten years tops and by 93 we were having very low car counts and the ones who remained went All Stars or WOO. Joey Saldana was one of them. Pup went to them then came to USAC and the remaining teams just kinda dryed out and raced when they could afford too.

10/17/07, 10:33 PM   #55
flipalong

how about a RR spacing rule with the only RR wheels you can run is like a 3 or a 4 off and RR can only be no more than 21.5 inches. then don't let them run the DT3 under 9psi. that would help unhook them a little.

Nick Johnson

10/18/07, 8:21 AM   #56
wbr

Are these problems restricted to the dirt cars?

Could the answer be so obvious as a "slick tire" rule? Run an asphalt tire on the rear and then 850+ horses = more smoke and dust.

just a thought:headbang:

10/18/07, 9:05 AM   #57
Rex W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
Are these problems restricted to the dirt cars?

Could the answer be so obvious as a "slick tire" rule? Run an asphalt tire on the rear and then 850+ horses = more smoke and dust.

just a thought:headbang:
*** people complain about dust now & u wanna make more??? lol

10/20/07, 8:46 AM   #58
Zellner

A couple of things that has helped to keep my costs down have been to dig through the big teams scrap piles and not buying brand new parts. You can save alot of money at Indy Race parts Bernie is a huge help to us blue collar racers!

10/20/07, 10:05 AM   #59
cecil98

If you can sell out stadiums to watch monster trucks then we should be able to sell out sprint car shows. Our show is much better. But they promote so much better than we do.....Riskybrisky

Hey kevin, there is a slight difference with the monster truck deal. In our area, at least, they come to US Bank Arena once a year. I'm not sure it would sell out if it was a weekly show. I took Brad and Brett a couple of times when they were little and, believe me, one time a year for that crap was enough!!! LOL

PS..that was a great run a funfest!

10/20/07, 12:05 PM   #60
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
If you can sell out stadiums to watch monster trucks then we should be able to sell out sprint car shows. Our show is much better. But they promote so much better than we do.....Riskybrisky

Hey kevin, there is a slight difference with the monster truck deal. In our area, at least, they come to US Bank Arena once a year. I'm not sure it would sell out if it was a weekly show. I took Brad and Brett a couple of times when they were little and, believe me, one time a year for that crap was enough!!! LOL

PS..that was a great run a funfest!
Cecil, for gods sakes man, save yourself some trouble and use the quote button to quote other posters.:rolling:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe