IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
11/25/07, 6:15 PM   #51
Re: Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
Kirk Spridgeon

dfish-
That was a serious question I posed. If you're gonna hate people for such a reason, air out your bitterness for me. I'd like to let those kids know that they're not real race car drivers because their fathers have the money to field a sprint car.

I'm not sure what your beef is with me, but I'm brave enough to deal with hearing it!

11/25/07, 8:16 PM   #52
NJDMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtomthumb View Post
I'm curious, what was the prices last year? As I understand it, the unwelcomed parking fees, both motor home and spectator, were added this year, but what was the cost of a pit pass last year?
Irwindale has always charged to park.

$55 was last years pit pass cost.

11/25/07, 10:14 PM   #53
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

we have been to every turkey nite race at irvingdale.they never charged to park a rv.

11/25/07, 11:49 PM   #54
Joe Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
dfish-
That was a serious question I posed. If you're gonna hate people for such a reason, air out your bitterness for me. I'd like to let those kids know that they're not real race car drivers because their fathers have the money to field a sprint car.

I'm not sure what your beef is with me, but I'm brave enough to deal with hearing it!
Kirk

I thought he would have responded by now. I'm a bit puzzled...

DFish is probably hard at work putting together a deal to run a street stock at Gas City. He see's everyone else putting together deals, he didn't want to feel left out.

Hopefully with his newly acquired ride, he now wont be jealous of everybody around him that is getting to do what he always wanted.

11/26/07, 9:47 AM   #55
dfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snyder View Post
Hopefully with his newly acquired ride, he now wont be jealous of everybody around him that is getting to do what he always wanted.
Actually Joe, what I've always wanted to do is be a complete douchebag like you. No matter how hard I've tried though, I just can't reach your level!

11/26/07, 9:58 AM   #56
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish View Post
Actually Joe, what I've always wanted to do is be a complete douchebag like you. No matter how hard I've tried though, I just can't reach your level!
I believe you're underestimating yourself.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

11/26/07, 10:44 AM   #57
PJ Wright

I'm lucky if I can afford 1 or 2 weekend trips to Indiana every year. I wish it could be more, but I don't understand why I'm supposed to be jealous of those who can. Am I missing out by not being bitter? To those with more money than me: whether in the pits or in the stands, thanks for spending your cash on a sport I love.

11/26/07, 10:46 AM   #58
ossuks

I'm so sick of hearing all this shet about how good the "good ole days" were. Yesterday is a memory, good or bad, it is behind you. Let me tell you a story that taught me one of lifes greatest lessons.

Sitting on the living room floor one evening ,my sons were playing with there race cars, if memory serves me correctly it was the 144th running of the Living Room Nationals. The race was held on an oval rug directly between me and the TV! During the 4th red flag I made the comment that I was bored with racing, and it was time to look for a new hobby. My oldest son was stunned by this idea and asked WHY? My reply was simple, there just wasn't any talent left anymore, all the great driver I had grown up with were gone, names like Sheldon Kinser, Rich Vogler, Tob Bigelow, Bruce Walkup, Rollie Beale , ect... Oh how I longed for the "good ole days" BAM Thats when I learnt what may have been the greatest lesson of my life from a 6 yr old boy. He said "Daddy, todays drivers are just as good as the ones you named ,aren' they? Isn't it just who ever you watched when you were a little boy with your daddy that you miss? If these guys aren't as good then how can they break the track records ect.. ? It was then that i realized that i didn't miss the talent, I missed being young, I missed my father, that when I look back on some of those dusty days they really were no dif. then today. What I missed really had nothing to do with the racing!

*Just in case you are wondering who won the 144th running of the "Living Room Nationals", it was a photo finish between Kenny Irwin jr, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and Stevie Reeves. Boy did I know what I was talking about "there sure wasn't much talent left"

11/26/07, 1:46 PM   #59
VaDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
I'm so sick of hearing all this shet about how good the "good ole days" were. Yesterday is a memory, good or bad, it is behind you. Let me tell you a story that taught me one of lifes greatest lessons.

Sitting on the living room floor one evening my sons were playing with there race cars, if memory serves me correctly it was the 144th running of the living room nationals. The race was held on an oval rug directly between me and the TV! During the 4th red flag I made the comment that I was bored with racing and it was time to look for a new hobby. My oldest son was stunned by this idea and asked WHY? My reply was simple, there just wasn't any talent left anymore, all the great driver I had grown up with were gone, names like Sheldon Kinser, Rich Vogler, Tob Bigelow, Bruce Walkup, Rollie Beale , ect... Oh how I longed for the "good ole days" BAM Thats when I learnt what may have been the greatest lesson of my life from a 6 yr old boy. He said "Daddy todays drivers are just as good as the ones you named aren' they? Isn't just who ever you watched when you were a little boy with your daddy that you miss? If these guys aren't as good then how can they break the track records ect.. it was then that i realized that i didn't miss the talent, I missed being young, I missed my father, that when I look back on some of those dusty days they really were no dif. then today. What I missed really had nothing to do with the racing!

*Just in case you are wondering who won the 144th running of the "living Room Nationals" it was a photo finish between Kenny Irwin jr, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and Stevie Reeves. Boy did I know what I was talking about "there sure wasn't much talent left"

Great post!:thumb:

11/26/07, 3:01 PM   #60
Doug Bushey

Ya know...before Thanksgiving night, I probably would agree with Sean...to a point. I've had some pretty dismal experiences with that race and that track in the past. But aside from Dave Darland totally dominating the "big show", this Turkey Night Grand Prix was definitely worth watching.

Nothing against Sean or anyone else that has a negative opinion about the race. We all see things differently, but you cannot tell me that there was not any racing action...I personally believe that some people would have said that no matter what they saw...but will still show up next year and gripe again...

I, like Tim, cannot believe that I forked out $65 for a non-member pit pass. However, I was rewarded with the opportunity to share a brief conversation with Robin Miller about "real" racing, as well as catch up with a whole bunch of buddies from all over the country. To me, that was worth the extra cash alone.

Anyone that was there would have to agree with the fact that the battle from 3rd through about 8th was something fierce! The amount of slide jobs (yeah, that's right...I said slide jobs!) that were traded within inches of each other between such shoes as Jason Leffler, Bryan Clauson, Josh Wise, and Kasey Kahne...will bring me back. It was simply amazing. 98 laps worth of good, clean, old-fashioned side-by-side racing.

Hey, lets not forget that this race and the history that is carried along with it are what bring all those haulers and drivers and fans. How did Nascar ruin this race? I didn't see one uniformed Nascar representative the entire night. What I did see was a pit full of drivers, owners and sponsors that would not have been there had the race been run on dirt. If the PAS had hosted the race, we most likely would not have had Santos, Steele, Nine Racing, Western Speed, Zarounian, Davey Hamilton, Toyota (as a race sponsor and with the presence that they had at Irwindale), etc., etc...

I know I sound star struck (the list of names sounds like a Busch race), but I'm teling you, these guys drove their hearts out and had fun doing it too...no wonder these guys have been signed to do bigger things in the future. You should have seen the smiles on these guy's faces when they took their helmets off...it was realy something to witness those guys doing what they truly love to do without all pressure of it being a day job.

Too bad Wise and Swanson blew up and Leffler over-heated...it would have been really interested had they continued. The TSR tangle took out both Stenhouse and Jones in one shot. I'm still bent about the fact that this race was moved to pavement from dirt...those wounds will never heal. But this year's Turkey Night GP put a band aid on 'em for a little while...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter