IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas city weather
7/11/17, 12:55 AM   #41
Re: Gas city weather
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Hard to blame anyone for staying home with the kind of weather we have had this year. I just wonder where all the sprints only fans that follow the tour were.
I think there are a number of factors to take into consideration here.

First and foremost, look at the distance a fan has traveled in the last 3 days. There's a reason that Indiana Sprint Week starts with Gas City and Kokomo and then goes to Lawrenceburg, followed by a break. I think our sport has the most dedicated fans of any kind, but at the same time. To drive from Kokomo, to Lawrenceburg, and back to Gas City in 72 hours. That's rough.

Then you take the weather into consideration, I would have been more than disappointed had I driven back up to Gas City tonight after being at both Kokomo and Lawrenceburg and the show rain out. So I'm not upset at those fans that took that approach.

Also, you have to remember that there wasn't suppose to be a race tonight had Mother Nature cooperated. So with that in mind, maybe some people had to work today or have to work tomorrow. Personally, I took last Friday off along with all of this week but not everyone has that luxury and I'm sure that kept some fans as well as cars home as well.

Lastly, I will always maintain that a track that only runs twice a year will never get the crowd support that a track that runs weekly will get, even if it's a special event type deal like Indiana Sprint Week.

7/11/17, 7:52 AM   #42
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

Brent, You left out the fact that the makeup date had a huge forecast for rain. I don't blame anything but the weather. If it was a good forecast for today and storms already weren't firing when I woke up. I'd of come.
Agree. Also let people use wristbands on Sat at kokomo probably helped a few fans who couldn't go.Make up dates are hard to do with perfect conditions. So far, I thought it was the race of the week.

7/11/17, 7:56 AM   #43
nodramazone20

great show last night at GC...props to USAC and the O'Connors for making it happen. As for the crowd, its sad but predictable. Fuels the speculation that Indiana Sprint Car fans are soft. All i hear is excuse after excuse...Monday, weather, hate the stands, too far to drive...blah blah blah. Any other promoter would have just cancelled the damn thing and these same people who did not show would be complaining. Glad i saw the best race that NO BODY SAW.

7/11/17, 10:09 AM   #44
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramazone20 View Post
great show last night at GC...props to USAC and the O'Connors for making it happen. As for the crowd, its sad but predictable. Fuels the speculation that Indiana Sprint Car fans are soft. All i hear is excuse after excuse...Monday, weather, hate the stands, too far to drive...blah blah blah. Any other promoter would have just cancelled the damn thing and these same people who did not show would be complaining. Glad i saw the best race that NO BODY SAW.
You forgot, "the guy at the front gate was mean to my blanket".

😁

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, D.N.3, Mike Robison, oppweld, racinrich, tirespinner
7/11/17, 11:11 AM   #45
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I think there are a number of factors to take into consideration here.

First and foremost, look at the distance a fan has traveled in the last 3 days. There's a reason that Indiana Sprint Week starts with Gas City and Kokomo and then goes to Lawrenceburg, followed by a break. I think our sport has the most dedicated fans of any kind, but at the same time. To drive from Kokomo, to Lawrenceburg, and back to Gas City in 72 hours. That's rough.

Then you take the weather into consideration, I would have been more than disappointed had I driven back up to Gas City tonight after being at both Kokomo and Lawrenceburg and the show rain out. So I'm not upset at those fans that took that approach.

Also, you have to remember that there wasn't suppose to be a race tonight had Mother Nature cooperated. So with that in mind, maybe some people had to work today or have to work tomorrow. Personally, I took last Friday off along with all of this week but not everyone has that luxury and I'm sure that kept some fans as well as cars home as well.

Lastly, I will always maintain that a track that only runs twice a year will never get the crowd support that a track that runs weekly will get, even if it's a special event type deal like Indiana Sprint Week.
I get what your saying. I think its funny people want a rain date and then don't go. I knew last night was a big risk. One thing I will disagree with you about is not running weekly. It has been 10 years since a weekly show at Gas City has made money heard that from the only person who would know. Last nights crowd shows why no one wants to run it weekly.

4 members like this post: cwfan08, oppweld, racinrich, tirespinner
7/11/17, 12:35 PM   #46
wright59

Another set of brilliant posts by David Mitchell!!! You are the biggest whine a$$ on this site

6 members like this post: captrat, fish, mc/rider, oppweld, racinrich, tirespinner
7/11/17, 1:22 PM   #47
treecitytornado

It's because when the car count is lower especially in the support class; it gives teams very little time between races to work on their cars! I understand as a fan, it's great, but as a Race Team it Sucks to be hurried all night! To get a show in on a night there is approaching weather is understandable, but you can't do that to the Race Teams every time they come to the track. That's why they don't.
Last edited by treecitytornado; 7/11/17 at 1:25 PM.

7/14/17, 11:55 AM   #48
Mike Robison

C

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas city weather