IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt
4/21/16, 1:26 PM   #41
JDK222

Although it takes us longer to load the cars I enjoy the fans (more importantly the kids) being able to experience the cars and drivers up close. I was able to do this as small child and those memories have stuck with me. I wish we could have fans in the pit during the evening program not just after. I know it adds to the congestion but there could be a compromise. Fans that feel involved and appreciated will continue to support us. NASCAR and other big series seem to have forgot this along the way and alienated most true fans. NHRA and SuperCross have it figured out.

6 members like this post: 2fast4u, dctracy79, jim goerge, micro23, PIT CART, tirespinner
4/21/16, 1:48 PM   #42
Re: Haubstadt
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort36 View Post
It does get some of us home a little late but i will have to say this.. there are more fans that come to the pits, after the races, than any other track around. we continue to meet new people and letting the kids sit in the cars and get autographs is quite rewarding.. we do appreciate all of the families that take time to do this..
I have fond memories of when the pits were in the infield and the fans could go visit with the drivers at intermission. Perhaps the group of fans that grew up during that era now have children or grandchildren that they bring to the track, and they want them to have the same experience, would explain the large amount of pit area visitors.

4/21/16, 1:55 PM   #43
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Something we all are forgetting is that new clay was put in during the off season. Tom and crew didn't know how the new clay would react to the racing , but I bet there will be a lot of working that clay before the next race. Also I have heard it was USAC;s request that the mods run first
That is interesting! Maybe USAC is trying to promote more fan contact with the drivers and elevate the level of interest in USAC, and figured there would be a chance that more drivers would be around after the feature if they ran last. That was one of the biggest crowds I have seen at TSS for a USAC race. I was very happy to see it.

4/21/16, 2:38 PM   #44
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
That is interesting! Maybe USAC is trying to promote more fan contact with the drivers and elevate the level of interest in USAC, and figured there would be a chance that more drivers would be around after the feature if they ran last. That was one of the biggest crowds I have seen at TSS for a USAC race. I was very happy to see it.
That's exactly what Tom told me,and USAC felt like their post race interviews were being rushed. At all tracks not just TSS,I'd look for this to become the norm at USAC races.
Last edited by rclaridge; 4/21/16 at 3:19 PM.

5 members like this post: dctracy79, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil, tirespinner
4/22/16, 12:27 PM   #45
cfdrescue1

I agree, the track was extra dusty for the sprint feature. Regardless of whose call it was on feature order, Tom does a great job at track preparation. He may need a couple race nights to get the surface dialed in 100%. It's a science, but not an exact science by any means.

That being said, I realize this is primarily a sprint car forum/website, and a lot of folks on here could care less about anything but a sprinter. Changing the feature order last weekend illustrated to the entire crowd in attendance what I've known for several years now: the modified racing at Tri-State Speedway is as competitive, if not morso, than the sprint cars. I've seen some of the best features at TSS the last few years come from the modifieds. The sad fact is that by the time they're running, the stands are already more than half empty.

It goes to show that if you give any class of cars a first rate racing surface, they can put on a fantastic show. The mods have gotten better at running on the dry-slick track after the main class of cars (be it sprints, late models, etc.), but give them a fresh tacky track and they'll put on an even better show.

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, rclaridge, ronmil
4/22/16, 1:26 PM   #46
illinisprintfan

The modifieds do usually put on a pretty good show, unless it turns into a spin fest. We normally stay for the start of the modified feature, but we have our own caution flag rule. Generally, if it takes more than 3 attempted starts to get going or there are more than 4 cautions before lap 10, we have had enough. We probably miss some good racing after that, but when the wife says "we are outta here", we are outta there.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt