IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/5/15, 9:04 PM   #41
speedee24

I do not see in the rules where it says they are allowed. Is there rules out somewhere that say they are permitted?

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 9:14 PM   #42
dirtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedee24 View Post
I do not see in the rules where it says they are allowed. Is there rules out somewhere that say they are permitted?
I think some people are confused because the engine rules are laid out in 2 separate sections and the mini sprint rules seem to be more open. If they have the same restrictions it would be good to add that to the specific motorcycle engine section.
Racers are great at finding gray areas.

1 member likes this post: Bradleyracing86
12/5/15, 9:18 PM   #43
Bradleyracing86

If it doesn't say you can't why would you not be able to. Rules in writing are governing standards. They have a name for rules that are not prescribed in writing, it's called folklore.

2 members like this post: Airsys, RickyBobby
12/5/15, 9:27 PM   #44
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack View Post
I think some people are confused because the engine rules are laid out in 2 separate sections and the mini sprint rules seem to be more open. If they have the same restrictions it would be good to add that to the specific motorcycle engine section.
Racers are great at finding gray areas.
They (the rules) will be added. Pistons, cams, etc have the same rules as the driveshaft engines when it comes to what can be changed.

Honest mistake. There was a lot to sift through, and it was simply an oversight.
Last edited by Crankin; 12/5/15 at 9:28 PM.

12/5/15, 9:29 PM   #45
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
DAD

Andy

Seems to me like you are reading a little more into the rules than is really there. Just like the National Mini Sprint rules that MMSA endorsed a few years ago the Midget guys hired Lawyers to write their rules instead of racers. My suggestion to you would be to if you are changing the MMSA rules revert back to the rules that Bill and Allen put together years ago and shred every copy of that ******** set of rules that you have been following. I read stock production motorcycle motors with no aftermarket rod or piston change. (time for clarification)

The way I read the rules is that any car legal to race MMSA would also be legal to race the D2 division and visa versa if the D2 Midget was chain drive.

Like my prostate Motorcycle engines do not have weak rod problems but weak oiling problems. Every rod I have ever broke, broke because it seized and locked up on the crank due to lack of lubrication before it broke into half a dozen pieces, and the funny thing is it has always been the same rod>>so maybe I only need to buy one rod.

Sure hope you get your rules simplified a little. KISS

It's nice to have your insight and fun butting heads with you again. Hopefully when things get going and under control the MMSA and USAC D2 can co-sanction some races. Could you get that old water truck down here in the barn yard it's starting to dry out a little down here.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: speedee24
12/5/15, 9:30 PM   #46
dirtrack

OK, good

12/5/15, 9:40 PM   #47
Bradleyracing86

That ******** of rules led to the best year the series has had since the first year. I agree it needs simplified. I agree restricting items that help longevity is a step backwards.

It's also a hell of a lot simpler than what you have here.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 12/5/15 at 9:42 PM.

3 members like this post: Airsys, DAD, dirtrack
12/5/15, 9:49 PM   #48
DAD

They did not invite me to the rules meeting, Go figure. But from my observations are the rods are not the weak link in either engine. Perhaps stronger rod bolts for the automotive engines but stock rods at 6500rpm's should work fine for quite a long time. Now pistons lets see, many cycle motors leave the factory at 13 or 13.5 to 1 compression ratio. some after market pistons might bump things up a half ratio or so, quite ample to perform well with Methanol.

The auto engine may be as low as 9 to 1 compression ratio. At that ratio they will probably drop off a little power when converting to Methanol.

So just like MMSA and most Mini Sprint groups I would mandate "Stock Engines" for motorcycle engines. Drop all the gobbly goop about ecm's and ways of altering them.

For the automotive engines I would allow them aftermarket pistons, in fact since most aftermarket pistons are for huffers or street cars and do not take into consideration Methanol powered Midget racers I would suspect that the piston makers come up with a piston with more compression built into them for this application.

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 9:55 PM   #49
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
That ******** of rules led to the best year the series has had since the first year. I agree it needs simplified. I agree restricting items that help longevity is a step backwards.

It's also a hell of a lot simpler than what you have here.
Andy

The MMSA season's success was probably because of the Bradley boys and not those rules Andy. I have faith that the Bradley boys can out do the current rules and get them down to 2 pages double spaced.

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 9:58 PM   #50
dirtrack

Allen was a smart man. He went to the stock R1 at a time nobody thought you could give up 200cc and win. He won. He also saw tough times coming for the racing economy 10 years ago. The last time I talked to him he said, "If you keep mini sprints affordable, this class will grow and grow." He passed a lot of that on to Andy.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets