IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled
7/21/11, 9:09 AM   #41
Re: Gas City Races Cancelled
Diggsy

Seem to be a lot of people thinking they're entitled to see a race every weekend, which just further illustrates that promoters are damned no matter what they do. Race tomorrow in the heat, have a less than stellar show, someone suffers heat exhaustion, and the whole cyberworld would hear about it. Cancel because of the heat and related heat advisories, and the whole cyberworld hears about it...

I, for one, think Gas City and Bloomington made the right call when they chose to cancel. While I was planning to sit on the hill wearing as little as possible, the drivers don't exactly have that option. Nor do the EMS workers. Or the concession workers. Am I disappointed? Sure. I look forward to Friday night all week. But I'll survive. And I applaud Mike and Jiggs for making the correct, yet unpopular, decision.

7 members like this post: fish, Honest-Sam, jim goerge, racerfanx2, randy j, sprintsrule, SteveD
7/21/11, 9:11 AM   #42
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant View Post
Believe it or not the guys in the cars are almost better off than the fans because they are more conditioned to the heat, and are active.........********..put on nomex underwear-nomex socks-2layer driving suit-race shoes-headsock -helmet-driving gloves..then sit in the sun[simulating waiting to get pushoff] for 20 min. then tell me your as comfortable as the guy sitting in the shade,sipping iced tea in 't' shirt and shorts....racers pay a price in extreme heat..bottom line ..the track may have made the right call here for all involved
And don't forget the crews working on the hot cars too. I almost ended up in the hospital a few years back work on a crew in these kinds of conditions. If you’re not used to working in the heat it can kick your butt before you know what hit you.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/21/11, 10:09 AM   #43
Tall Jackson

I have never heard of such a thing. I say run em and the weak can stay at home. Nobody is making you come to the races. It is a choice we all have. Not now!!

7/21/11, 10:19 AM   #44
interpreter66

what do you think they will do if it stay's this hot for next weekend?
or dare say the next two or three weekend's

7/21/11, 10:35 AM   #45
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I believe this is purely a business decision... a decision based upon some people will stay home and food sales will be down during the heat. I know this decision is one that alot of folks don't like but I can at least respect the tracks decision to not risk a financial loss.

Remove yourself as a fan or competitor and look at it as if you are the business owner.... Is the risk worth the reward?

Sprint cars don't like going upside down... neither do the promoters.

7/21/11, 10:50 AM   #46
duel

after burning up at a usac race at LPS last year i can see their point. it was so hot and humid we just started driving back to Michigan instead of our plan of camping. plus at GC the sun sets in your face till 8:30 now. i wish the great state of Indiana would go back to eastern standard time so I could gain that hour on the way down. Plus the tracks have one less hour of sun on them before they start.

2 members like this post: randy j, SprintManDave
7/21/11, 11:07 AM   #47
Gregg

First I want to thank Jiggs and Mike (at Bloomington) for making a correct call. In light of the very wet spring and losing shows on account of that, these decisions were tough ones. This doesn’t mean Joe Spiker, Dave Rudisell and the other Saturday night track promoters does not have our best interest at heart. I look at the weekend weather and it seems we are catching a little break in the Saturday temperatures.

Maybe 40 or 50 years ago when many of us did not have a house with central air these decisions would have had a *** reaction but many of us aren’t used to being out in the hot sun for hours. I guess that makes me a wuss and I’ll admit it. Also we need to be thinking of not only fans but drivers, crews, push truck drivers, fire and rescue personnel and others. They have to deal with these extreme temperatures too. Hey, even in the “good old days” we still lost Carl Scarborough to heat stroke in the very hot 1953 Indy 500.

I would give Jiggs and Mike a break. I’m sure they hate not racing Friday as much as anyone.

7/21/11, 11:24 AM   #48
ossuks

Its hot outside, I'm not going to any races this week if its free to get in! Really, there is more to life than racing, try something new this weekend!!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/21/11, 11:32 AM   #49
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
after burning up at a usac race at lps last year i can see their point. It was so hot and humid we just started driving back to michigan instead of our plan of camping. Plus at gc the sun sets in your face till 8:30 now. I wish the great state of indiana would go back to eastern standard time so i could gain that hour on the way down. Plus the tracks have one less hour of sun on them before they start.
we are on eastern time..lol

7/21/11, 11:35 AM   #50
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I saw Friday was cancelled before getting on here. I thought, wonder how many pages the thread is for that? Three pages is less than I thought.

Some people would go (heat wouldn’t keep me away if I wanted to go as it doesn’t bother me). However, many “regulars” probably wouldn’t. With the threat of a small crowd, I can see why somebody wouldn’t want to take a chance on it. Tracks just had their biggest payday of the year in the last two weeks. I wouldn’t want to potentially give a lot of that back due to running a show with few fans. I get the, show up if you want to or nobody makes you go, but that’s the issue…. many people not showing. I’d say a lot of people would do that. Remember Sprint Week just ended so people’s wallets are a little lighter. I could see some people that go all the time saying, I’ll just sit out this week because of money and the heat. Not everybody goes every week. A lot on here do, but a lot don’t go every week. Those fans make a difference in a case like this.

It’s easy to be a fan. We show up, spend the money, watch the show, and go home. Not that simple for a promoter, a lot rides on decisions. If I go and see a bad show, I’m out some gas money and ticket money (happens and will happen again). Promoter is out thousands if they make the wrong call. No way I would ever want to promote a race track, you are always wrong to somebody.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled