IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Advice for eldora speedway
4/10/11, 12:11 PM   #41
Re: Advice for eldora speedway
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stewart View Post
trust me i watched on my computer til the bitter end last night, but no one can control the weather. sorry we let you down. i have the upmost confidence in my staff and watched them do everything they could to get it in last night. there are many more variables in what happened last night that usac dictated an was out of eldoras control. i love usac but the show in april seems to make more people unhappy than happy and the weather sucks in april. maybe we should stop running this event. we lose money on it every year. we do it for the fans but seems like thats not enough anymore. sorry
I give you credit for getting on here, even though I probably would not have. You guys were in a tough spot last night, and easily could have cancelled. Just remember a lot of people on this board post a lot, but hardly ever go to races. I think for some people the problem is it seems like something every year. I got to where about 10 years ago I tired of winged racing, and these Usac shows are the only time I get to Eldora. I have been going there since 1982. I hope this show continues to be on the schedule, as to me it has always been the unoffical start of spring. As for being a money loser, pull 3 good shows in a row and the crowd will come back. You can't blame people for being gun shy. Good luck.

4/10/11, 2:51 PM   #42
tsmith76

Modocer - were you even there Friday? Please answer.
The reason I ask is that I think without all that rain, that cushion would have been way farther up the track and it would have been an awesome night for nonwing racing. The track structure itself seemed fine in my opinion. The part they were racing on was fine, its just too bad all the rain screwed up actually having the drivers able to use the whole track.

I think Brent is right, most of the people yelling the loudest werent even there to begin with. If you were, then you obviously didnt pay attention to the amount of water that had fallen and how wet that track was and how heavy and misty the air was all day - there was no chance of drying that thing.

That goes back to my first post - they probably should have just canceled it from the very beginning and not tried to be the superhero by running Friday night. I'll call a spade a spade when I see one, but seriously, some of you are ridiculous on this one. I don't understand how you think you have a right to be pissed off at Eldora or USAC for Mother Natures problem. At least they tried to give us a race, unlike a lot of other tracks in the area.

4 members like this post: 64chevy, JCC, jjracer636, SprintManDave
4/10/11, 3:07 PM   #43
dustbowl

I don't know how much it rained Thursday/Friday morning at Eldora, but I doubt it was any more than how much it rained at Lawrenceburg, and the track was perfect.

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, JETFXR, jim goerge, RichH, SUPERDUKE
4/10/11, 5:54 PM   #44
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
I don't know how much it rained Thursday/Friday morning at Eldora, but I doubt it was any more than how much it rained at Lawrenceburg, and the track was perfect.
Don't know how much it rained south of me, but I live an hour north of the Burg, and an hour south of Eldora (give or take), and work in between. It flat ass poured down rain in Richmond, from 8am, till at least 3:30pm.

4/10/11, 7:51 PM   #45
HEAD

[QUOTE=sprinterfan;220745]Now I'm not one that runs around shooting his mouth off, QUOTE] doing a pretty good job of it

As it has been said in this thread you can't just take a tractor or any other equipment onto a really soft race track until it dries out at least a little. I live about an hour west of the track and we got alot of rain here Thursday night and Friday morning. So they probably couldn't get onto the track first thing friday morning. You're on here complaining to Eldora's track crew about the condition of the racing surface but I've got a hunch that if they'd cancelled the race early friday morning you would've been on here busting USAC's balls for pulling the plug too early.
At least they attempted the race.

4 members like this post: awnunn, JCC, jjracer636, safetyworker
4/11/11, 8:44 AM   #46
Blitzman

Ill give some advice...... Get some real clay on the track.... Not this field dirt that was brought a few years back that has stone it....If there was more clay content in it, the track couldve been packed tight thursday knowing it was goin to rain that night.....the track wouldve had enough water in it from earlier in the week.. The water wouldve ran off, got better track prep on it.... Yes I know it cost money to haul in clay.. a few years back, Knoxville screwed up with some clay/dirt that didnt work well... they dug it all up, went & got some river bottom gumbo & solved the problem.....yes it is April & weather can be a ***** at times.... but there has to get some more clay in the track & some poeple that wants to work it more than 2 days a week....Mr.Stewart, I think its time that you need to look deep into the people that run the track for you & make some changes like gettin the larry & larry show out of there... its been over due...

3 members like this post: Hubie, jim goerge, Need For Speed
4/11/11, 1:46 PM   #47
jim goerge

I was done with eldora after the great dust out of last year. Thought I"d try one more time, and got burned again by piss poor track prep! We all say I"ll never return but we do , we just keep giveing tony our money and then we ***** and moan bout what a poor show we saw but whats Tony care he got our cash again laughing as he goes to the bank . Everybody has to hit him and his track where it will bother him most in his pocket . Everyone needs to say enough is enough and stay away from eldora. As of now if eldora was across the street and I got in free I"d pass it up Tony and eldoea can kiss my

4/11/11, 3:19 PM   #48
finishline

As I stated on another thread, if the sprint cars would have been in the push off area when Eldora was ready for them (IMO) there would have been plenty of time to have completed the show!! Instead it seemed like the cars would come up one at A time every 2-3 minutes, then after 10 or so minutes a group would get pushed, repeat this about 7 times and you now have plenty of time to complete the races, and then there would be no "mourning after" problems!! IMO the biggest problem of the night was Eldora inability to get sprint cars to push off. Everything else I feel the staff at Eldora did an outstanding job when the easy way out would have been to give up early like they did Saturday.

4/11/11, 3:32 PM   #49
tsmith76

Jim George, not sure but I would have to bet that Tony lost his rear end this weekend. Figure in the advertising costs, insurance, staff labor from Fri and Sat, misc overhead, plus they had to pay whatever the purse is in the stock car feature that they ran from Friday night.

They basically made zero dollars from ticket sales since they changed it to a rainout / raincheck deal so the only thing they could offset that was concessions and I seriously doubt they made enough to cancel out all that other stuff.

Finishline - I agree, the only delays was trying to get the sprints out on the track. The thing that makes me scratch my head though is the fact that when they put stocks and mods out there, they were all up there in line and ready to go. No delays whatsoever. So why do the sprints always seem to have this problem of moving? Is it Eldora's problem or USAC's problem?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, jjracer636
4/11/11, 3:34 PM   #50
sprinter

The fact is that they must be doing something wrong, because every show you attend it seems that they have fewer and fewer HAPPY folks in the stands. Actually if I'm trying to introduce a friend to the sport, this was always my first choice to take them, now it is my last. It seems that more times than not I go to the Big E and leave wishing I had my money back.

Wow did I take all those years with Earl running the show for granted. Didn't know how good I had it.

3 members like this post: RichH, SUPERDUKE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Advice for eldora speedway