IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment
8/16/09, 9:39 PM   #41
Re: Kevin Miller experiment
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Jeff, believe me, I know how it all went down. Kevin Miller doesn't do scheduling, for the most part. I was only pointing out that those additions have been made under the current regime. Whether he wants to be included or not, Greg was a part of that for a while.

BTW, what name was associated with the sponsor of the three richest sprint car races of all time (And by "sprint car," I don't mean "winged sprint car")? Hint: They were all at Eldora.
Earl Baltes

1 member likes this post:
8/16/09, 9:47 PM   #42
harry123

Is Kevin is OVERRATED or overmatched? Or the right guy?
Last edited by harry123; 8/16/09 at 9:53 PM.

8/16/09, 9:54 PM   #43
ModernDayCowboyFan92

One thing that Kevin Miller and James Spinks have done a good job developing is the .25 midget series. The series is constantly gaining new members and continues to thrive. Spinks will listen to the racers suggestions, and make changes when necessary. If you havn't tried out the .25 midgets you should really give it a shot. As a .25 driver myslef i think the raceiver one-way radios are the best thing they have introduced to quarter midgets.

8/16/09, 9:58 PM   #44
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
1. I have a strong belief that there are many places USAC could go that would put them in a good light and have enough fans that would make it profitable, not just a sucess, but profitable. Morgan County Speedway is a prime example. There are alot of former attendees to Little Springfield there that would make a rush to MCS if USAC came there.

2. The sanctioning fee is high for these economic conditions and in general. I understand the insurance for the drivers is high but there are ways to cut costs in the fee department.

3. To me (IMHO) co sanctioning and take over are two different things. Knoxville Nationals, Gold Crown Nationals, and the Firemen's Nationals were all started by another club before being touted as USAC races. USAC being an equal partner is one thing but to be the prime club is a little far reaching. At times USAC is becoming the NASCAR of midget racing: the 800 pound gorilla in the room just with less stroke. Hey if we are running down series UMARA is not a national midget series either but they call themselves national midgets. Care to take a shot at them?

5. This is very possible to do. It just takes determination and commitment, something USAC has had alot of problems doing in the past few years.

No comment on #6? #6 would add another way of doing co-sanctioning with both POWRI and Badger.
1. That is your opinion. I have been there, and I'd have some concerns. There are other tracks I'd love to see them visit - especially after my recent trip to Pevely, I'd kill to see them there. Maybe combined with Granite City, Lake Ozark?

2. The sanctioning fee is on par. This is actually not a fee charged to make money - it is only to attempt to cover costs, but I have been told that it is actually a losing venture for each race.

3. That has nothing to do with USAC. If they are attached to an event, they will always be billed as the headliner because they are the biggest name of the bunch and carry the biggest-name drivers. And yes, it really bugs me that UMARA considers themselves National. That is not a synonym for "full" midget.

5. When has the Silver Crown Series ever had many races? Where would you like them to go? How would you propose paying for those races? Miller took a lot of flak for the deal with Iowa, but it was a big win for Silver Crown racing, and a big crowd.

6. I think that sounds like a great idea for POWRi, really. There are really bigger things on USAC's plate at this point in time...I know you're an Illinois resident, and I'd love to see it too, but I just don't think it's high on the list for now.

Thanks, DWB!

8/16/09, 10:15 PM   #45
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
BTW, what name was associated with the sponsor of the three richest sprint car races of all time (And by "sprint car," I don't mean "winged sprint car")? Hint: They were all at Eldora.
Kirk, I was referring to USAC management, not a an association through sponsorship.

8/16/09, 10:15 PM   #46
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayCowboyFan92 View Post
One thing that Kevin Miller and James Spinks have done a good job developing is the .25 midget series. The series is constantly gaining new members and continues to thrive. Spinks will listen to the racers suggestions, and make changes when necessary. If you havn't tried out the .25 midgets you should really give it a shot. As a .25 driver myslef i think the raceiver one-way radios are the best thing they have introduced to quarter midgets.
How many are NEW MEMBERS as opposed to MEMBERS STOLEN FROM THAT OTHER QUARTER MIDGET GROUP.

How did your Dad feel about having to spend another $100 for that raceiver?

8/16/09, 10:26 PM   #47
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff View Post
Kirk, I was referring to USAC management, not a an association through sponsorship.
Huh? I don't follow, Jeff...

8/16/09, 10:27 PM   #48
sc96

As for the Silver crown div USAC needs to add a few more races because owners are not going to invest in a car that only runs 4 times a year. As I hear it Richmond is gone and Milwaukee is not having them back. So that leaves Phoenix,ORP,Iowa,and Oswego so now what. So why build a sc car for 4 races when you can run the same places with a sprint car that will run 8-10 times then you can bolt on a wing and go run 20 more races the math just does not add up.( I am getting depressed anyone want to buy a sc car). What other pavement tracks are out there that the sc cars could run.

8/16/09, 10:27 PM   #49
ModernDayCowboyFan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
How did your Dad feel about having to spend another $100 for that raceiver?
Im sure my dad has saved a ton of money, since i havnt been involved in as many crashes this year, due to the fact that i think it helps so you are notified of a crash before you even see the yellow flag. Besides, they are available for rent at each event.
The Hoosier tires have been a great spec tire, and have drastically reduced the cost of racing as well. Im sure the money that my dad has saved from not buying Vega's has well payed for the money it costs to buy a raceiver.

8/16/09, 10:31 PM   #50
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
As for the Silver crown div USAC needs to add a few more races because owners are not going to invest in a car that only runs 4 times a year. As I hear it Richmond is gone and Milwaukee is not having them back. So that leaves Phoenix,ORP,Iowa,and Oswego so now what. So why build a sc car for 4 races when you can run the same places with a sprint car that will run 8-10 times then you can bolt on a wing and go run 20 more races the math just does not add up.( I am getting depressed anyone want to buy a sc car). What other pavement tracks are out there that the sc cars could run.
So where is your advice? What tracks could be added?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment