IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thorson winging it too ?
1/21/22, 11:11 PM   #41
flagboy55

So I checked Tanner’s website and his schedule is not updated. I believe I read the their team may run up to 50 WOO races. I can’t say for sure but that sounds like it would be a lot less than they ran this past year. I’m thinking that we’ll see him at least a few times in wingless racing.
As far as wing fan 2019 goes, he’s definitely got all the outriggers out trolling us. I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat, wing racing is entertaining when they roll out the features. A good portion of that entertainment value comes from dealing with lapped cars. And watching cars pass one another is a big part of the excitement quotient, lapped or otherwise. One thing that is indisputable, 80% of wing heat races after the first lap are little more than glorified Hotlaps. It’s probably the opposite for wingless. I pay for the whole program. I’m still fans of all the guys moving on. I don’t give a rip about NASCAR but I watch it sometimes to see how the guys that moved on from USAC (which put them on the map) are doing. I’ll be watching these guys too.

1/22/22, 8:39 AM   #42
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Not much on a per race basis.
I find it interesting that they spent 821,000 on travel.

1/22/22, 4:28 PM   #43
Re: Thorson winging it too ?
SoIllSprinter

I posted this a few weeks ago and it is as true today as it was then. USAC is more affordable for racers and fans and will always be what it is, a regional not a truly national series. It offers what the fans of it’s region want. USAC will be here a long time doing just what it does now.
“Much ado about….well I’m not sure. Lots of folks lambasting USAC for…..not expanding? I’d like more too, but they got a good gig going. I see several shows every year in Indiana, the crowds are always large, the field is always full. Just because they may struggle in Pennsylvania or South Dakota or Knoxville doesn’t mean they aren’t successful for what they are. Hell, you have to get up pretty early in the morning just to get a decent sprint week seat. USAC is fine. If another group wants to give big travel with non wingers a try, go for it, not sure that’s gonna knock USAC off it’s perch, but if it somehow does, it will be a boon for MSCS. There is always going to be a strong local non wing org in Indiana.”
If it is a stepping stone series, so what? It still promotes great racing and develops outstanding racers and draws crowds. Why the angst? I guess winter has already been too long and the natives are restless.

1/22/22, 5:15 PM   #44
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

USAC went thru the last ten years of seven powerhouses in the field. Chances were one of the seven were going to win at just about every show, When I followed it around and worked on a crew part time there were only four full time teams and another few that would make most in the region.

If anything two or three leaving most of the races is going to allow others to compete for more than tenth.

Lets not kid ourselves, It's a hard series to win in. Qualifying is probably A number one in if your starting behind the eight ball or not.

As far as racing, Heats are by far better in USAC, Starting the two fastest outside the transfer makes for passing. Allowing a heat winner to advance his starting spot by winning makes for passing. I've seen many nights the heat winners came from the third row in three or all four of the heats.. As far as features. If there is dirty air, the racing in comparable either way. Lots of yellows, USAC is better by far..

If you see a pass between laps two and eight of a winged race and after a caution, Someone got the jump or someone messed up. Thats how much clean air means to it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/22/22 at 5:19 PM.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, Rcar
1/22/22, 6:38 PM   #45
captrat

Thanks for the purse info. What about USAC? As far as WoO goes let's also not forget the 2 abreast restart gimmick. If there is so much passing why penalize people!

1 member likes this post: progressive22
1/22/22, 10:29 PM   #46
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Thanks for the purse info. What about USAC? As far as WoO goes let's also not forget the 2 abreast restart gimmick. If there is so much passing why penalize people!
If you are insinuating double file restarts are a gimmick the. I say you are not interested in close side by side racing. The single file restart is beyond a penalty for everyone but the leader. It sucks! If you want single file with five to go I’ll stomach that but otherwise it’s a bunch of crap. Before all of the traditionalists get their panties in a bunch let me explain. Why in the world would anyone be happy if say a top 5 or 10 car had a bad qualifying run and was stuck starting say 19th and the yellow comes out after 2 complete. The stupid single file restart puts him farther behind the lead then he was before. Single file was, is, and will be a dumb idea until 5 to go forever. Racing is about passing not follow the leader. I’m really glad I grew up in eastern Pa where my theory is the norm. The first time we went to central Pa and saw single file I couldn’t believe what a penalty it was. To each their own but in no way other than helping the pole sitter is single file restarts a benefit to the overall package of quality racing.

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Russ
1/22/22, 10:46 PM   #47
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter View Post
I posted this a few weeks ago and it is as true today as it was then. USAC is more affordable for racers and fans and will always be what it is, a regional not a truly national series. It offers what the fans of it’s region want. USAC will be here a long time doing just what it does now.
“Much ado about….well I’m not sure. Lots of folks lambasting USAC for…..not expanding? I’d like more too, but they got a good gig going. I see several shows every year in Indiana, the crowds are always large, the field is always full. Just because they may struggle in Pennsylvania or South Dakota or Knoxville doesn’t mean they aren’t successful for what they are. Hell, you have to get up pretty early in the morning just to get a decent sprint week seat. USAC is fine. If another group wants to give big travel with non wingers a try, go for it, not sure that’s gonna knock USAC off it’s perch, but if it somehow does, it will be a boon for MSCS. There is always going to be a strong local non wing org in Indiana.”
If it is a stepping stone series, so what? It still promotes great racing and develops outstanding racers and draws crowds. Why the angst? I guess winter has already been too long and the natives are restless.
Two things. ISW crowds are crazy due to the addition of people traveling from around the country. The locals support it but only on their terms. Zero chance of rain, never on Monday or Tuesday and if it’s not too hot. Indiana fans are not hearty at all. The other events during the year where the majority of fans are locals are rarely SRO if ever.

Usac really isn’t National and maybe they lose sight of the fact that other areas of the country like the product. If another sanction wants to take the product around and pay the money they deserve then so be it. The Indiana people can be happy with MSCS and the country can be happy with a national touring series that will be promoted and pay well.

Usac does have a good gig because they do nothing to promote their product and no one else until now has stepped up to challenge. Time will tell if Casey and the WRG gobble it up and make it the nw version of WoO. Clearly the group in Speedway have not shown an interest or ability to pay these guys enough to have most do this for a living like other series. If Usac were really National only Bacon and Grant could follow it.( I only care about the sprint car series). The rest have jobs and don’t have the ability to take endless days off.

1/23/22, 10:47 AM   #48
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
If you are insinuating double file restarts are a gimmick the. I say you are not interested in close side by side racing. The single file restart is beyond a penalty for everyone but the leader. It sucks! If you want single file with five to go I’ll stomach that but otherwise it’s a bunch of crap. Before all of the traditionalists get their panties in a bunch let me explain. Why in the world would anyone be happy if say a top 5 or 10 car had a bad qualifying run and was stuck starting say 19th and the yellow comes out after 2 complete. The stupid single file restart puts him farther behind the lead then he was before. Single file was, is, and will be a dumb idea until 5 to go forever. Racing is about passing not follow the leader. I’m really glad I grew up in eastern Pa where my theory is the norm. The first time we went to central Pa and saw single file I couldn’t believe what a penalty it was. To each their own but in no way other than helping the pole sitter is single file restarts a benefit to the overall package of quality racing.
Double file starts can be a penalty to the leader though, a person that did nothing wrong. They could be 1/2 a track ahead, lapping tons of cars, but because a caution comes out 2nd place gets to start beside them now? I think that's wrong. Person has a bad qualifying night, it's bad luck, but it's on them. Better luck next time. Double file restarts are in my opinion participation trophy's.

5 members like this post: erich45, jonboat15, oldfan49, Pitdad, progressive22
1/23/22, 10:50 AM   #49
The Old Coyote

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/23/22, 11:19 AM   #50
jonboat15

Tanner Thorson is a pretty good racer I was hoping he would take the usac triple crown challenge this year.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thorson winging it too ?