IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > new bloomington promoter?
2/22/12, 7:08 PM   #41
Re: new bloomington promoter?
old timer

As of a few weeks ago when ask about this Mikes answer was wish someone would tell me about this. It still may be true but I'm sure the family will still be involved. You got to be carefull because the city of Bloomington would like to see it closed so if true they will get thier paper work work fixed real good. The track is by the way not for sale by the owner,lease maybe.

2/22/12, 7:30 PM   #42
dirt330

Why does the City want it closed ?

2/22/12, 8:59 PM   #43
bowbuild

They do not approve of racing and the noise it creates keeps the liberals awake!

2 members like this post: ajb6, BHAS SpeedMedic
2/22/12, 10:51 PM   #44
Rpracing1

City officials don't want a racetrack or an up-to date interstate system through town. They had better get all of the revenue they can cause their roads are gonna suck for the next ten years if they don't watch out. The school is the only thing in town.

1 member likes this post: ajb6
2/22/12, 11:10 PM   #45
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
Why does the City want it closed ?
Because the taxes on the houses they would build there is more than they get when the land is used as a track.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil, SprintManDave
2/22/12, 11:13 PM   #46
Hurryinhoosier

Its like building a house beside an airport then complaining about the noise....This whole town is like that!

5 members like this post: ajb6, babcock14d, BHAS SpeedMedic, Dirtfan, Pat O'Connor Fan
2/22/12, 11:20 PM   #47
racephoto1

When the track was built in the good old days, it was in the sticks. Now come down That Road toward the track, and look north , once you get there. This isn't the country anymore.The rickh folk don't like the noise.

Funny thing is you really can't build a lot there. A lot of the area the track takes up is more than likely in a flood plain due to the creek, though I may be wrong. Biggest problem is the rich folk.

3 members like this post: babcock14d, BHAS SpeedMedic, SPD 37
2/22/12, 11:54 PM   #48
ajb6

If Mike were to sell the lease, I think he would make sure it was done in a way that the transition would be seamless. He knows better than anybody, the complaints about noise. And, there's no question we've all heard rumors over the years that our elected officials here in Monroe County would love to see the track shut down. You'll never hear them acknowledge the revenue that the track produces for the area. Especially, the big shows. At least I've never heard them do it. Troy is exactly right, it's amazing the track has been here since 1923, yet when people buy or build close to it all they do is complain about the noise.

Mike and Judy have done a great job over the years. Is there a better place to watch a dirt track race? I'll guarantee you that there isn't one that's more fun to race on. As far as the rumors go, I guess we'll find out soon enough. April's coming quick.
Last edited by ajb6; 2/23/12 at 11:28 PM.

2/23/12, 7:39 AM   #49
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Nice article in the paper last weekend Troy

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2/23/12, 9:13 AM   #50
SteveD

I'm starting to "feel" what racing needs is "hope & change"....it's them rich people up to no good again. You bet.
Last edited by SteveD; 2/23/12 at 4:08 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > new bloomington promoter?