IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???
12/15/22, 3:29 PM   #41
Re: Partial To A Specific Track???
MDposse

Lincoln, PA. 27 of my 45 races this past season..it's good, solid racing and great car counts most every week. But, it's hanging with "the gang" that's as good as the racing. And an hour from home..only place closer is Hagerstown, just not much going on over there these days.

12/15/22, 6:16 PM   #42
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Fantastic post! You are spot on. Lindy Vicari would be happy to know so many people to this day still appreciate what he did at Reading. Just like you said, one division, quick and efficient , and most of all fantastic track prep. The purse he payed was excellent also.
While we haven’t been able to make the move to Indiana yet, Kokomo and all of your description of it is why it’s my favorite place to go. It is the baddest bullring and a lot has to do with the fantastic track prep.
I’ll miss the view from the old grandstands when they go as I think the new ones will have you further away from the track. Let’s be honest tho, a bad day at Kokomo (which is rare) is better than most days anywhere.
I still have a soft spot for Ventura Raceway but times have changed there and I’ll just enjoy the great memories of what was. Great topic to discuss during downtime.
Here is a shocker. I totally agree with you about the view from the front stretch at Kokomo. I like any track where you are close to the action. Here are a few I really like.
Midgets on tracks smaller than a quarter. I like Macon, Port City, Wayne County. I think USAC sprints in July at Macon should be interesting.
Tracks that are 1/4 to 3/8, I like Haubstadt, Kokomo, Granite City, and Gas City. A lot of people don't like the bleachers at Gas City, but they provide a great view. They aren't comfortable for sure, but I will be tired of my recliner by spring.
Bigger tracks, I like Terre Haute, the infield and down low in the covered grandstand offers a great view. I also like Eldora, though I spend my nights in the infield these days. I have been going there since 1982 and I thought the 3 nights I was there last year was the best surface I have ever seen there.
My 2 favorite paved tracks are Anderson, and Winchester. I am happy to see IRP putting on good shows again.
Yeleyfan76, what is your favorite PA track? I like Grandview, that view in the stand closest to the back stretch is pretty cool. I also like Lincoln, but as MD Posse said the fun part is hanging out.
I can show you a pretty good view at Kokomo, if you think we could sit without driving each other nuts. I don't have any tracks that I don't like, but up close are the ones I make sure I am at.
I left off the 2 Illinois miles, I always try to support them. They are both real good.

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Ilovedirttrackracing, oppweld
12/15/22, 7:20 PM   #43
yeleyfan76

Yeleyfan76, what is your favorite PA track?

I’m fan of both Lincoln and Susquehanna. The reality is that my formative years after Reading closed in 79 were spent at the tracks in NJ. Living 15 miles from the border it was what we did. Flemington was unique in its shape and challenged even the best. The old Bridgeport (while not as wide) was bigger around than Terre Haute. But my favorite was East Windsor Speedway. They ran a quick two division show of basically run what ya brung small block modifieds, and street stocks. The modifieds had no weight rule, ran alcohol with injectors, drag tires, and had a 339 max cid. Basically a sprint car with a sheet metal body. They ran all of the top gun guys in the third heat and called it a mini main. They paid heat winners and handicapped all of the good guys to the rear of the feature. Hoffman, Horton, Cozze, Brightbill, Pauch, Elliott, Leach and a bunch of others would give us a show every week. They had a section of stands pitched on an angle at the end of the straight entering turn one. The cars literally were headed right for you then threw it sideways in the turn. The key to all of this was once again fantastic track prep. Some nights got a little dusty, but most nites hot laps were the adventure because of dodging the clods of dirt shot at you because of that heavy tacky surface. Those days are over but they were fun. Back to Pa I really think Lincoln could have been the best for Usac but the prep guy couldn’t figure out how to give them a good surface for non wing sprint car racing. The only time it was close to good was the day it rained in the afternoon. The promoter wasted time and it rained again and we lost the A. I’d also like to mention that Lernerville is a great track in Pa. It’s 5 hours from my house but the two times I went for Usac they were both good shows.
I think most tracks could be fantastic if track prep was the priority. Reading, East Windsor, and of course Kokomo are three perfect examples. Perris used to be awesome, but I think most would agree that is not like it used to be.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, oppweld
12/15/22, 7:53 PM   #44
captrat

Lots of favorites, but a couple who have not been mentioned: Selinsgrove- Big with fast wide sweeping corners and a little extremely racey gem, Charleston, IL

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, jonboat15, oppweld, SpfldMile
12/17/22, 3:22 AM   #45
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Here is a shocker. I totally agree with you about the view from the front stretch at Kokomo. I like any track where you are close to the action. Here are a few I really like.
Midgets on tracks smaller than a quarter. I like Macon, Port City, Wayne County. I think USAC sprints in July at Macon should be interesting.
Tracks that are 1/4 to 3/8, I like Haubstadt, Kokomo, Granite City, and Gas City. A lot of people don't like the bleachers at Gas City, but they provide a great view. They aren't comfortable for sure, but I will be tired of my recliner by spring.
Bigger tracks, I like Terre Haute, the infield and down low in the covered grandstand offers a great view. I also like Eldora, though I spend my nights in the infield these days. I have been going there since 1982 and I thought the 3 nights I was there last year was the best surface I have ever seen there.
My 2 favorite paved tracks are Anderson, and Winchester. I am happy to see IRP putting on good shows again.
Yeleyfan76, what is your favorite PA track? I like Grandview, that view in the stand closest to the back stretch is pretty cool. I also like Lincoln, but as MD Posse said the fun part is hanging out.
I can show you a pretty good view at Kokomo, if you think we could sit without driving each other nuts. I don't have any tracks that I don't like, but up close are the ones I make sure I am at.
I left off the 2 Illinois miles, I always try to support them. They are both real good.
" if you think we could sit without driving each other nuts.".... thats no drive, thats a putt
We usually agree, but no infield for me. I like to see the whole track, best view for me at Kokomo is as high as possible on the backstretch bleachers...

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???