IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Two questions for the fans......
6/11/08, 2:30 PM   #41
Re: Two questions for the fans......
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackslash.com View Post
First question:

If you were in charge and had to design a tour such as the East Coast swing, where would YOU take the USAC National Sprint Series next year? What part of the country? What tracks and how many races would you book?

Second Question:

Are time trials neccessary at USAC Sprint Car dirt events?
Can USAC put on just as good of show without time trials?

Sean Buckley
Jackslash Media
Jackslash.com
The Jackslash Show on RaceNetwork.tv
Jackslash Studio Hotline (805) 624-5887
More than three or four races on a swing starts to wear the teams down. Remember that they can only take so much equipment. The tour to PA is great, and with a tweak or two it could be even better. The Southeast should be pavement only - but there are some really good pavement tracks in VA, NC, GA, and FL. I was pleading for a Lucas Oil, Ozark, Granite City, and/or Pevely trip for last year, but it doesn't look like USAC sits well with those places. A Northeast pavement trip would be nice. Otherwise, things aren't bad. Another thing to remember is that going to a terrible track/facility doesn't get anybody anywhere. There's no need to schedule races just to add races - they should all be destinations that make people want to travel.

Time trials are a must with USAC. The show would not be the same without them. It's hard to find a good time-trail midget show anymore - and I really love to see that!

6/11/08, 2:32 PM   #42
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Let's face it. Very few, if any, of the USAC folk are full time racers. If you want a bunch of touring, you have to get the money up to where they can afford to quit their "day jobs". That means somewhere in the WoO range.

As far as the show goes, I'm one of those who loves qualifying, when done by traditional cars. With the wings, they just flatfoot it, and everyone runs the same line. Without them, drivers try different lines. And, the fact that it gives the announcer a chance to introduce each team is a good thing, too.

I'd like to see some experimentation with the rest of the show. I seem to recall that, back in the 50s, you transferred from your heat to a semi, then from the semi to the main. Am I correct? There was a "consi" in there somewhere, too. Even when some cars transfer directly from the heat to the main, having two semis is still a good thing, because it eliminates the need for a break after the heats. The only break needed is between the semis and the main. Of course, since there is usually another class these days, the number of breaks doesn't really matter.

Of course, the Chili Bowl method is good, too.

6/11/08, 4:42 PM   #43
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

If they qualify.How about only one lap if the field is over 40 cars.I saw it done at an All Star and it worked well.Fremont's local show here qualifies everyweek,but drivers receive only one lap.:thumb

6/11/08, 5:05 PM   #44
Sprint Fan

Quote:
I'd like to see some experimentation with the rest of the show. I seem to recall that, back in the 50s, you transferred from your heat to a semi, then from the semi to the main. Am I correct? There was a "consi" in there somewhere, too. Even when some cars transfer directly from the heat to the main, having two semis is still a good thing, because it eliminates the need for a break after the heats. The only break needed is between the semis and the main.
Dick,
I remember a show, it might have been a CRA race, it was at Ascot in the late 60's, that took the top 2 from 8 car heats straight to the feature, positions 3 thru 6 in the heats went to 10 lap Semi Feature which transfered the top 6, and then there was an 8 lap Consi's for all non-qualifiers that sent the top 2 to the tail of the feature. Only the heat to features' transfers got their times back.

Now this was in the late 60's and some of those years are still a little hazy, but God did we have fun back then!:thumb

6/11/08, 5:08 PM   #45
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Kinser View Post
Keep the Time Trials. To me the Trials and the heats are better to watch than alot of the features
Could not agree more!:thumb

6/11/08, 5:47 PM   #46
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Some of my memories of 70s Burg action are not soley driver created great memories.

The format forced them to pass. The fastest started at the rear and were DQed if they beat their qualifying time by one second or more.

Chuck

6/11/08, 5:49 PM   #47
Dannypollock24

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 30 +

I can not afford to travel but would if I could so I don't have any input on what tracks to race.

As a fans view I say its great to watch Qualifying. The down side is I am a low budget racer and many others attend several of these events in hope they may get lucky and make the show so from that point I say they should draw so us local low budget racers have a better chance to make the shows and you would see higher car counts showing up and I think the big money guys can make the races more interesting by fans seeing their favorite drivers providing some action pack racing when they have to start in the back of the heats once in a while and see some low budget racers make the shows too.

USAC may as well be called NASAC its getting to be like NASCAR each race you see just a handful of the same winners each week and its almost always the big money teams that win them all.

Thats my .02 cents worth.

DP

www.dannypollock.com

6/13/08, 1:20 AM   #48
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

Michigan would be cool also...

Winston Speedway
I-96 Speedway
Hartford Motor Speedway
Butler Speedway
Crystal Motor Speedway

Any of them would work..
Just my .02 cents

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Two questions for the fans......