IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos
11/17/09, 7:46 PM   #41
Re: Gold Crown car Spy Photos
SUPERDUKE
Banned

No way jose! Butt ugly! Who cares? Wrong! Sad!

11/17/09, 7:59 PM   #42
miledirt

You put a lineup similar to this on tracks similar to this for a minimum of 150 laps, I'm there...

Having races that last more than an hour is important to the fan support, imo

Phoenix
Gateway
Kansas
Michigan
New Hampshire
Dover
Chicago
Kentucky
Richmond

Tracy Hines Levi Jones
Cole Whitt Mike Hess
Brad Loyet Jon Stanbrough
Dave Darland Jerry Coons Jr.
Shane Cottle Bryan Clauson
Bud Kaeding Josh Wise
Cameron Dodson AJ Fike
Russ Gamester Jesse Hockett
Bobby East Shane Hmiel

11/17/09, 8:45 PM   #43
racerdog45

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
You put a lineup similar to this on tracks similar to this for a minimum of 150 laps, I'm there...

Having races that last more than an hour is important to the fan support, imo

Phoenix
Gateway
Kansas
Michigan
New Hampshire
Dover
Chicago
Kentucky
Richmond

Tracy Hines Levi Jones
Cole Whitt Mike Hess
Brad Loyet Jon Stanbrough
Dave Darland Jerry Coons Jr.
Shane Cottle Bryan Clauson
Bud Kaeding Josh Wise
Cameron Dodson AJ Fike
Russ Gamester Jesse Hockett
Bobby East Shane Hmiel

If you run those cars on those tracks then it's going to be all about the car and not the best driver. Runaways or boring no passing parades like before with a huge bunch of rent a drivers coming along. And several drivers on your list didn't get rides last go around and several won't this time because it'll be about the bucks you bring and not the balls you use....

11/17/09, 10:15 PM   #44
sc96

The Goldcrown cars did not have a rear end lift problem. Those cars are very stable They are running 210plus at the end of the straights so rear end lift at 150 is not correct. The Sivercrown cars do have rear end lift above 150 though.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMS41 View Post
The last race for the USAC sanctioned New Generation Silver Crown car was Phoenix 2007: Car count 23
Phoenix USAC Silver Crown race last week: Car count 23
If USAC woud have stayed on course with the New Gen cars we would of had at least 28 -30 at phoenix this year and I think usac knows it.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
11/17/09, 10:42 PM   #45
racephoto1

Sc96, I will have to disagree. They can't draw midgets or sprints to their pavement shows, and your expecting these supers would draw almost 30. It won't happen in these economic times.

Also , I realize a lot of you owners have a large investment in the cars when they first came out, and now have no place to race. Your hoping this plan works, and I don"t blame you. If it doesn't , you owners lost a lot of money. Spooky to think about too. Those cars may become expensive scrap iron.

11/17/09, 11:23 PM   #46
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
The Goldcrown cars did not have a rear end lift problem. Those cars are very stable They are running 210plus at the end of the straights so rear end lift at 150 is not correct. The Sivercrown cars do have rear end lift above 150 though.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

If USAC woud have stayed on course with the New Gen cars we would of had at least 28 -30 at phoenix this year and I think usac knows it.
I was talking about the SC cars having lift. Personally I thought USAC pulled the plug pretty early on the GC cars.

11/18/09, 12:14 AM   #47
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky161 View Post
Personally I thought USAC pulled the plug pretty early on the GC cars.

usac didn't pull the plug......... nascar did.

11/18/09, 8:00 AM   #48
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
Stayed the course? So now it's USAC's fault for the FAILURE of these cars to impress anyone?

I know you have a sizable investment in thses cars but be reasonable about things as well. The damn things have fenders on them and FENDERS DON'T BELONG ON OPENWHEEL CARS

11/18/09, 8:35 AM   #49
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Also , I realize a lot of you owners have a large investment in the cars when they first came out, and now have no place to race. Your hoping this plan works, and I don"t blame you. If it doesn't , you owners lost a lot of money. Spooky to think about too. Those cars may become expensive scrap iron.

A good portion of these new cars (including the most expensive part, the engine) can be used in/on other types of vehicles and could be sold off. Basically the frame and bodywork would be throwaways. Yes, the investment is large, no, it wouldn't be a complete and total loss.
David.

11/18/09, 11:09 AM   #50
Lucky161

I understand that nascar had a behind the scenes part in the Gold Crown project, but it had USAC's name all over it. nascar didn't really have a need for this series, but USAC did. So the fact that nascar pulled their support should not have resulted in pulling the plug.

I don't remember the amounts given for the Gold Crown car, but my memory is thinking something like $80K w/o engine. Whatever the cost was, I am pretty sure it was too high in a couple of ways. One, it cost a lot more than the regular SC car so that would limit the number of people that might have otherwise be interested. The other was that when you really look at that car, it's not really that much different than a regular SC car construction wise. It's basically a sprint/midget/SC car chassis with some extra bodywork. So other than the "road racer's bias" how do you justify the substantial additional cost?

Consider the Riley DP cars. They are tube framed cars with normally aspirated pushrod V8s putting out around 500hp and they sell for half a million give or take a bit. So in Riley's mind, an $80K roller is probably bargain basement stuff. But if you compare it to a regular SC car, then that's pretty expensive bodywork.

Does anyone know if the Gold Crown car (the first version) is legal to run against this latest version? There could be a lot of reasons that it would not be, but to me they look almost identical, so why not? They got around 12 or so of the first versions on the track and if there are 23 sold versions of the new one, that's 35 cars, enough for a race. What would it cost to provide some bodywork to the current SC cars to make them legal and competitive with those cars?

There seems to be some thinking that both the original version of the Gold Crown car and the latest versions are some sort of break through in design because of the involvement of Riley and Ashmore, but I don't see any cutting edge stuff that would justify the expense. Does anyone? It's a tube frame car without any significant carbon fiber.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with something that is relatively affordable.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos