IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > T-Mez: Got this off his FB page. Should be Mandatory in cars
8/12/16, 8:17 PM   #31
Re: T-Mez: Got this off his FB page. Should be Mandatory in
stoney

Its kind of simple; It was at night, dusty, poor lighting, And everybody want`s to run a dark race car. Perfect recipe for disaster !

2 members like this post: tirespinner, treecitytornado
8/12/16, 8:19 PM   #32
suzuki756

I agree if you try and make one part stronger it's still going to find a weaker point so what if the complete cage collapse down , t-metz car photo you see doesn't even have a right side safety bar think with the 3 point halo will make the cockpit sides weaker on a hard impact that we have seen something is going to give I hope it's not the rear uprights that the seats are bolted to

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
8/13/16, 12:55 AM   #33
Cobra 14

I once had this example shared with me..

Take 2 almost exact same cars. The first one is 100% safe. The 2nd one is 1/10 of a second faster, but no where near as safe.

The racers will always pick the faster car. That's just a part of the sport. The bottom line is, although tragedies still happen, this sport has never been safer in its entire existence.

Keeping things in perspective in the wake of a tragedy is sometimes very hard to do.

2 members like this post: captrat, treecitytornado
8/13/16, 7:55 AM   #34
Backitin

I'd like to know how it's disrespectful to discuss safety at any time.
High speeds equal high impacts, I do remember someone stating that they were scared to death just watching at Bellville.
The irony of it all is that the actual racing is safer and much better on a bullring, I'm a firm believer high top speeds detract from the racing on a dirt track most all the time.
Fire isn't my biggest concern, getting hit in the cage while upside down on the track is. Some accidents and deaths are unavoidable. Every time someone dies in a car people want to add more safety features, if you want totally safe racing outlaw all racing. I'm sure theres people somewhere working on that right now.
I'm different then most but in my opinion it's no worse or better being killed in a race car then the thousands killed on our roads every year.

Its seems anymore folks are either too "respectful" or not "respectful" at all.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
8/13/16, 8:06 AM   #35
Backitin

As far as them making drag racing safer after losing a top driver, they also made the racing less enjoyable for the fans and many of the racers. Shortening the run down from a 1/4 mile took out a lot of the drama, the nitro cars were just starting to stretch they're legs at the end of the 1/4 mile.
What NHRA did is THE typical knee jerk reaction, just what sprintcar racing doesn't need.

8/13/16, 8:35 AM   #36
Hubie

I thought all USAC competitors were under the eye of a master spotter?

Having said that, there is no fault here with BC's accident. As much as I would like to point the finger, I can't. Racing is dangerous and We have lost a great driver and person.

sucks.

2 members like this post: Backitin, Tom23
8/13/16, 9:18 AM   #37
xoxide

Backitin,

I don't believe anuone said it was disrespectful to discuss safety at any time.

It would be in poor taste to speculate about what happened/what could've prevented what happened to Bryan at this time.

2 members like this post: Backitin, Charles Nungester
8/13/16, 9:24 AM   #38
dirt40

I saw the top of the cage as it was sitting there on the ground after it had been cut off by the jaws of life. It did not look like it was damaged at all except for a small dent at the visor area on the left side.

8/13/16, 9:28 AM   #39
Backitin

I look at it as some things including some sports and some racing are inherently dangerous. You can only go so far and not hurt the spirit, the heart of the sport. Midgets and sprints are what they are. If you arnt someone who loves the cars and the whole ball of wax including setbacks, danger and success you wouldn't be in one in the first place. These guys don't just wake up one day in the seat of a high caliber midget or sprintcar. They race for years, struggle at times and see friends lost. I love'em all. From the smallest local track to someplace like Kokomo. They are one of the last places real tough guys and heros exist.

8/13/16, 9:32 AM   #40
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Backitin,

I don't believe anuone said it was disrespectful to discuss safety at any time.

It would be in poor taste to speculate about what happened/what could've prevented what happened to Bryan at this time.
My bad, read it wrong. Sorry.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > T-Mez: Got this off his FB page. Should be Mandatory in cars