IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Silver Crown Series?
5/10/12, 6:59 PM   #31
Re: New Silver Crown Series?
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
In the niche sports world of dirt track racing, Silver Crown cars are truely a niche class. While they may be the link to the past and the last link to the Indy 500, there is a reason that this series is on the downturn. While you claim there are 50-75 dirt cars out there, there is only five dirt tracks on the schedule this year. The entire Silver crown schedule consist of a 9 race schedule. It is easy to see why the owners of these cars are not excited about putting the money into the cars.

I watched my first Silver Crown race on a mile track last year. I was glad that I was able to watch the Silver Crown cars race because it is a link to the past. However, as a die-hard race car fan, I was not blown away. If I had to prioritze my spending money on what shows I wanted to see, Silver Crown would be towards the very bottom of the list. While it is easy to blame USAC and the promoters for the current situation, the truth is that people vote by putting the butts in the seats. There is not a lot of fan demand for silver crown cars. If there was, more promoters would be running them.
One race, I guess you missed the old 270 Offy's big old throaty exhaust, the 4 cam Ford's scream and guys running two and three abreast inches apart from each other side by side and having the rear ends backed in so far that they were headed down the back stretch by the time they were half way through one of them long old turns. Not every big car race is exciting but once you have watched one you would get hooked for life just like a "junkie" just thinking about the next great race . Once upon a time there were great drivers and great cars, I think they can be just around the corner if "CHAMP CARS" come back. You really don't know what you have missed if you think one race is enough to make your mind up.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 5/10/12 at 7:01 PM.

7 members like this post: 2fast4u, Bill Angel, Checker'd Past, duel, racephoto1, Xflagman
5/11/12, 1:29 PM   #32
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
DAD, some deal named the EPA said no more calcium chloride, dang government.

As for drivers, ask anyone of them and they'd love to run a champ dirt car. I also say as I have for 3 years,put them at the Burg, it would put the cars in the fans laps, and let them see what it is all about. But then again I may be wrong. maybe if you could figure out how to race them on a smartphone, the youngsters would get involved.
EPA is one of those epitaph's that should be banned from the IOW as well as some of those that I like to use. We don't need any government help to ruin racing, we already have the people in place that can do that by themselves. I kinda of liked a little salt in my water. If it works good the government thinks they should make a law aganist it.

Maybe Big Cars is an acquired taste like beer. Take a big car and a midget and park them beside one another to get an idea of just how big these Big Cars are. Imagine starting a race with 800 pounds of fuel behind the rear axil and driving that car until the tank is empty. On our little cars 20 pounds throws things way off and makes them hard to maneuver around. The guy that can hold on to one of these things for a 100 miles is some kinda of driver to me. Somebody described these cars a poetry in motion, I kinda of think of them as more like ballet. I feel just like that news caster on MSNBC when I watch these things race side by side inches apart it makes a tingle go up and down my leg. You can screw up and man handle a midget but you are flat out wrong thinking you screw up and man handle one of these things and get back in shape. Sometimes the enjoyment for me is to appreicate what is required to do a job and do it right.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: fasster23, SC90
5/11/12, 1:50 PM   #33
TQ29m

One of the reason's they don't use calcium chloride any more, is from the "horsey Folks". and they bring more money than the "alky" burners do, we had to quit using it years ago, because the track we "shared" with the horse's, said it made the horse's hoove's soft, and that was it, no further discussion, end of argument, liquid soap works real good, but the EPA has a thing about "run off", and "wet lands", so that has been banned, of course, it was oil before all of that, and we all know what happened there, so unless someone comes up with something that the "green" folks will approve, it'll be water, and we all know where that is headed! Bob!

1 member likes this post: kstudley57
5/11/12, 4:14 PM   #34
Vukie

Did Larry O. change his handle on this forum?

1 member likes this post:
5/11/12, 11:31 PM   #35
darnall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Did Larry O. change his handle on this forum?
Well I have yet to see a comparison between Silver Crown racing and competitive roller skating or Focus Midgets so it must not be LarryO....hahahahaha

5/12/12, 6:10 PM   #36
GeorgeDillingham32

I won't say what sanctioning body it is, but there is interest in starting a new series if anyone, drivers and car owners especially, has any interest in getting the ball rolling. To everyone who has added their input, it is much appreciated but for someone who has loved the silver crown series since his first time seeing them they are exciting, but as said they are an acquired taste. Over years though there has been numerous races that have been VERY exciting including the 2010 Sumar Classic when the lead was changed numerous times, the year when Rich Tobias started 25th at DuQuoin and won, and especially if you go to YouTube and watch the Hawkeye Hundred at Knoxville. This is a legacy that many drivers and owners would do anything just to have an opportunity to be part of and many former dirt track open wheel drivers would be broken hearted to see end, Jack Hewitt, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, A.J. Foyt. We cannot let this come to an end and i'll be proud to go down with it if it does. Please help me in supporting this cause.

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/14/12, 1:29 PM   #37
DAD

NASCAR and ARCA kinda of go together, there is a good chance if you have a NASCAR race at a big track you might also find an ARCA deal at the same race track earlier that weekend. I would think It cost a lot of money to open one of these big tracks up for just one race and there might be a chance to to run a big car race on the day before giving the fans that get there early a chance to see another type of racing. Who knows they might acquire a taste for this kind of racing also. I guess there is little chance of the Indy cars or NASCAR coming to the DuQuoin or Springfield mile tracks.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 5/14/12 at 1:32 PM.

5/14/12, 1:45 PM   #38
ISP1700

Springfield and DuQuoin will run as scheduled. There is no truth to Bob Sargent saying he would cancel the shows under ANY circumstances. People need to get their facrts straight. Anyone who says else wise is talking out the side of their A$%.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Silver Crown Series?