IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does weight matter?
5/27/11, 5:05 PM   #31
Re: Does weight matter?
TQ29m

I don't really know how to try to explain this to you, as it seems you are just stirring. The cars are not "built" 200# heavy, they are built to the spec's dictated, as I have built several cars, complete, and using the specified materials, plus the weight of the required tires, wheels, axles, steering, fuel tanks, arms, bars, front axle, spindles, body work, everything needed to put one on the track, most will weigh in at the 625# minimum weight. The problem is, probably 90% of the drivers are of average weight, in the range of 185# or so, and as posted earlier, after weighing the cars and drivers, we were told the average was 883#, but some were as low as 801#, which doesn't provide much of a level playing field. This is the issue, we don't expect everyone to weigh exactly the same, just to be closer to the average, to make the racing more equal. This may be hard for you to understand, from your post, I'm guessing you just picked this one to express your ignorance. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 5/27/11 at 6:10 PM.

5/27/11, 8:09 PM   #32
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
Neibel kicked our butts for years with that V-6 car on pavement because they were allowed 200lbs less. Once the weight was equal
they were not so dominant.

The heavier the car the more energy it takes to start it in motion and more energy to stop it's motion. Simple physics.

I spent two weeks making decals for a certain high-profile driver's Chili Bowl car that were full of 1/8th inch holes to shave weight. I saved up all the little 1/8th inch dots that I picked out and they weighed a pound.
Actually if you want to know the truth we almost always ran that car at 1368 lbs. So we were only 32 lbs. under the weight of the 410 cars and 68 lbs heavier than the 355 cars
Posted via Mobile Device

5/27/11, 10:12 PM   #33
tqracer65

Bob do you know of anybody around here that can convert a stock injection over to methanol reasonably? that is the big thing we have found expense wise, still cheaper than the honda though. The stock oiling system and everything is strong enough if you strip out the transmission and keep teh stock stuff. Having talked with some engine builders, this seems to be a reasonable way of putting one together without cutting the block yes a little more weight but not enough really if you get the realiability of an engine not 35 years old. We have found some micro companies that are doing conversions for 1300 to around 2000 for getting ecm reprogrammed and whatever else they do mapping fuel system etc...

5/28/11, 6:48 AM   #34
backitin

Now I dont know a heck of alot about tech, but I know someone who does. He's a mechanical genious. This is my phone # (570) 396-8783. "Steel River Outfitters" Leave a mess. and I'll call back, with his #. Honestly this guys the best, and he'll help you, for free. He knows alot about injectors, hell you trip over them tryin to walk thru his shop.

5/28/11, 9:12 AM   #35
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
Bob do you know of anybody around here that can convert a stock injection over to methanol reasonably? that is the big thing we have found expense wise, still cheaper than the honda though. The stock oiling system and everything is strong enough if you strip out the transmission and keep teh stock stuff. Having talked with some engine builders, this seems to be a reasonable way of putting one together without cutting the block yes a little more weight but not enough really if you get the realiability of an engine not 35 years old. We have found some micro companies that are doing conversions for 1300 to around 2000 for getting ecm reprogrammed and whatever else they do mapping fuel system etc...
TQ65, when I started this project, my intentions were to be able to use as much off the old Honda as I could, to keep the cost down. I peeled everthing off that had been added, and found that with just a bit of tweeking, I could use the pump drive, the ignition, the injection, and with some cutting and welding, also the headers. I would need a new engine adapter, crank adapter was the same, so that's what I ran with, so I didn't have to start all over with the electrical or fueling system, even run the same pill sizes, I figured the less I have to depend on someone else, this would also keep the costs down. Myself, unless it was an easy thing to do, that I could easily do, I'd go with the Hilborn. If you are running the Honda carbs, put them on, they don't know the difference what engine they are on, but personally, I'd steer clear of the factory FI, that's one reason they put another set of injectors up in the top of the air cleaner, one set is not enough. And, speaking of power to weight, these engines are good for about 120-130 hp, so with even a car and driver weight of 800 lbs, the p/w is only about 6lbs per hp, where with a sprint car, at 1362 and a 200 lb driver, and what will that 355 make, 700hp, you're down to just over 2lbs per hp, HuH, will that make a difference? Bob!

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

TQ65, what engine are you looking at to use as a base? There aren't many that will serve our purpose, as effectivley as others, also, trying to get to use the stock oil pan may be a trick in itself, most of them are about 4in deep, and that may cause you to have to relocate the engine too high in the chassis, and raise the roll center too high. Also, there is the driveline to be concerned with, with the higher RPM needed to get the Hp out of these modern engines, drive shaft speed becomes a big concern, as well as tire size, and available gear ratios, that's another big factor in the engine I chose. Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does weight matter?